Differences and desirability of Heresy models?

Dave MacKay

I'm curious about the differences --- and relative merits --- of different Heresy models. 

I've been watching items coming up for sale and have come across

• Model H (i.e., before it was branded Heresy)
  • Heresy
  • Heresy II

The Heresy IIs seem to be listed for sale fairly frequently.

I imagine that, generally speaking, the Heresy has gotten better over time and that the current model (Heresy IV) is the best of the lot. I also saw that Klipsch offers parts to upgrade a Heresy III to make it more like a Heresy IV.

What are the merits of the different models? Is the Heresy II a good choice, or would one be better off waiting to find a Heresy III or other model?

Don't forget the stage trapezoidal enclosure and pro models like the Heresy Industrial (HI), (HI-SM), Heresy Industrial Ported (HIP), (HIP-SM) and then the Heresy II version of the Pro's KP-250, etc.  They are too many to keep up with.  I love the HIP's the best while the bass extension drops in 85Hz range they have ferocious mid-bass with great impact, the mids and highs run wide open which makes them perfect for my Front Effects and Side Surround positions since they pick up every little nuance or sound making for a phenomenal theater experience.  That said the newest ones are very refined and improved and the price you pay for them won't be cheap but they are designed to last a lifetime.

Heresy HIP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the OG;s and the III's the best in the consumer line and the KP-201 ii in the pro line the best. They also made a decorator series that I like. Any of those with exotic veneer are the most desirable.

Where did you see this? " I also saw that Klipsch offers parts to upgrade a Heresy III to make it more like a Heresy IV." I'm aware of kits to go from the II to the III but not the III to the IV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

I also saw that Klipsch offers parts to upgrade a Heresy III to make it more like a Heresy IV.

there is no kit for this -- the iii and iv are rather different.  there is a kit to go from a ii to a iii -- maybe that is what you meant . . . 

• Like 1

In my subjective opinion:

I had a pair of Heresy, Heresy II and Heresy III at the same time.  I auditioned them all.  Both my wife and I preferred the original Heresy.  The IIIs were way too laid back, so much so that I thought something was wrong with them but there wasn't.

My Heresy surrounds are sometimes called 1.5s because they use the newer horn and driver from the Heresy II but the tweeter and woofer from the original Heresy.  The '1.5' was made in 1984/85 as Klipsch was transitioning into the Heresy II.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

The IIIs were way too laid back, so much so that I thought something was wrong with them but there wasn't.

I've had a couple pairs over the years and felt the exact same way each time-- they were the least "horn" sounding speaker I've ever heard by Klipsch seemed to lack detail and kind of dull sounding. 

In 2008, I installed the H3 upgrade kit in one of my 1989 Heresy IIs, to make it more suitable as a centre speaker between a pair of 1974 La Scalas, and was immediately impressed with its deeper bass and higher sensitivity, which made it easier to level match with the La Scalas. I liked the results of the upgrade.

A year later, I got a Belle Klipsch, which became the new centre speaker, and the Heresy III became the new rear surround/rear centre speaker, taking the system from 5.1 to 6.1.  Adding a second sub in 2020 made it a 6.2 system.  With the current arrangement of speakers, it would be ineffective to add a second H3 to go to 7.2, so the present configuration will remain for the foreseeable future.