hidden horn

jason str

Kalifornian may be on the right path here, the panel of wood under the drywall is a great idea and makes for a better base to start with.

The cavity should be clear the normal things found behind walls such as plumbing & electric.

While still hidden it's going to take a little more effort though still remain budget friendly. Easy to mirror another or add as many as you please.

• Like 2

I believe it was Speaker Builder magazine that had an article in the late 1990s about building subs in between floor joists, with the output being unobtrusive, like heating vents in the floor. I believe it used two JBL 18" drivers. A motorboard was mounted between joists, 45 degrees to the floor. The driver back was open to the basement. I saved the article, I'll look for it.

• Like 2

I have my IB sub manifolds in the floor. 2 manifolds with 2 18" drivers in each. Drywall is not as good at isolating the sound from the back of the drivers.

Low distortion, measured flat to 12 Hz and able to shake the house. These are not as efficient as horn subs, but watts are cheap.

No large boxes in the living room, just what looks like cold air return grates for the furnace.

• Like 1