Question About Selling Basketball Card Collection

MEH Synergy

As stated in the title, I am looking to sell a decent size collection of basketball sports cards from the late 80s to year 2000 approximately. I am located in Southern California and interested if anybody could point me in the right direction of somebody that may purchase the entire collection from me. Obviously I know I won't get dollar-for-dollar what they are worth and I am not looking to get that either. Any suggestions?  No, I do not want to sell cards on eBay. Too many issues I have had with scammers screwing me over on eBay. Really looking for someone or a company to come and buy as much of the collection or the entire collection as possible. Thanks. 

Last year I had finally decided to part ways with my 1978-1990 collection of NFL and MLB cards. I realized that I didn't want them anymore, figured that it would take me 1000+ hours to get full resale value for each of them myself. Then I took a look at my other 20+ hobby collections of crap that consume all of my time, and decided the best place for all of my cards was my trash can. Totally out of character for me, as I prefer to keep or sell, but I just didn't want to worry about what profits someone else got off of me. I'm happy now, and have no regrets. 

Don't know your situation but you may want to consider a donation with a receipt, if you can take the tax right off. Likely more profitable for someone to do that rather than sell for pennies that card dealers offer. Card prices have gone up again, but that's retail, and the buy-out offers have not changed. YMMV.

you have to pull out your super stars and if you think that they could grade out a 9 or a 10 gem mint then send them in to PSA and have them graded

back in the day i sent in 100 cards ( 5.00 ea card = $500 ) that i thought were really nice and they all came back with 8 the highest. no one want 8's

find 5 or 10 of your finest and send them in and see what grade you get back. each one will be enclosed in a tamper proof case

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

I wonder if you could partner with somebody that sells professionally on Ebay and share the take?

Problem is eBay already takes a greedy 13% and doesn't even offer any customer service. You cant even make a phone call and talk to anyone.  Ebay also always sides with the buyer automatically regardless of issue.  I think I'll avoid them like the plague... 

8 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Ebay also always sides with the buyer automatically regardless of issue.  I think I'll avoid them like the plague... 

What you've said is true but, items will get the most attention there and might sell for the most money. I once bought a Pepsi clock at a yard sale for $30 and sold it on Ebay for $1,500.00. Where else can that happen? I have over 1,600 trades over 20 years on Ebay and have only been screwed once or twice. Most of the time it works as it should.

2 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

on Ebay and have only been screwed once or twice. Most of the time it works as it should.

Agreed. In order to make any money there, would likely have to get cards graded.   Listing and sold prices fluctuate wildly on there from my searching. Difficult to gauge what a list price should be and which sellers are solely shooting for the moon. 

• 8 months later...

I also want to sell part of my collection, but for now, I can't do it. I've been collecting them for a few years, and I think I'm not ready to sell them, at least for now. Basketball has been my favorite sport since childhood, and for me, there is nothing more interesting than it. And I remember how happy I was to get my first card, and such a collecting hobby is the only one I have. Some time ago, I had to write a paper for my creative writing club, and I wrote about basketball. Thanks to examples on https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/basketball/, I managed to make the paper even more interesting because those examples were very inspirational. And of course, I added some info about collecting cars, because it's also a part of the sport.

Edited by RobertHurley