How many systems do you have?

Klipschtastic

@billybob   Yea, I know how counting systems goes.  Two working here.  The Marantz & KG 4's in the garage.   My main system in the living room and my old trusty ss system sitting in an upstairs bedroom collecting dust along w/who knows what.  Too easy to just step on the gas and cut it all loose.  Just another day pissing off the neighbors!  :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave1291 said:

@billybob   Yea, I know how counting systems goes.  Two working here.  The Marantz & KG 4's in the garage.   My main system in the living room and my old trusty ss system sitting in an upstairs bedroom collecting dust along w/who knows what.  Too easy to just step on the gas and cut it all loose.  Just another day pissing off the neighbors!  :)

I hear you...lol ! Waiting on the new neighbors to get settled in first. Then, I will let my Klipsch welcome them to the hood.

Had some 4s...worth trip to the garage...

• Haha 1

Have 3...

Main 2 channel - 1976 Cornwalls, (2) Mac MC225's, Peach pre, EAR phono amp, Benchmark Dac 2, Silenzio server, Lenco J Nichol rebuild TT w/RB300 arm and Zu cart, Oppo cd/br, 

Garage 2 channel - Scott 299 amp, Accuphase T100 tuner, MD antenna

Bedroom - Bose Wave radio

• Like 2

You guys with the bedroom systems, especially the nice bedroom systems blow me away.  I don't have any electronics in my bedroom, not even lights.  I just turn on the light from the bathroom or use a flashlight at night.  🌞

The bedroom is for sleeping.   And stuff.

++

Two systems:

HT basement  11.4.0

• DIYSoundgroup:  L/R Titan LX615 w/ 15" woofs
  • Klipsch RC-64 III in the middle
  • RS-62 Side surrounds
  • DIYSoundgroup Cheap Thrills - 15" woofs for Rear Surround
  • DIYSoundgroup Pure Ten - 10" woofs for Front Heights
  • DIYSoundgroup Mid Bass Modules - 12" woofs  (used as 2 subs)
  • DIYSoundgroup Umax 15 pair w/ one each Inuke 3000dsp

Marantz 6011 AVR does the pre-pro duties and XPA-5 powers the L/C/R

IMG_0071_small.thumb.jpg.9a960cba700d85ae4e02f56c4b2d3a20.jpg

Mancave computer setup

Rotate between:

• 2.1 CF-4's w/ DIYSoundgroup 15" sub, HO driver and 500 watt Yung amp.  Old low end Pioneer 5.1 AVR
  • 2.0 RP-600M w/JVC Receiver from the 90's

IMG_0393_small.thumb.jpg.09cb603b08a0090fef0b72f647211df3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hmmm. Let’s see….

1. TV room 5.1 RP-8000f, 504c, ksw-15, forget surround model. Marantz receiver.

2. Living room emotiva pre, Kenwood M2a, Polk SDA SRS, Marantz CD player 

3. Also living room emotiva pre, Onkyo M-504, 79 Cornwall on A, 75 LaScala on B, Technics SL-1700 TT

4. workbench B&K receiver with early 80s Heresy. Also whatever I might be working on or enjoying for the moment. Currently chifi class A with Chorus I. 

and many more. I take systems with me to hotels and cabin rentals….. life’s too short for crap Bluetooth speakers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Living Room: KG 2.5 driven by Kenwood KR3090
Bedroom: Klipsch The 3ii - Snap On Edition
Wife's workspace: Altec Lansing 83 driven by Kenwood KA 3500 w/KT 5500 tuner
Garage: Namco NSW 550 driven by Yamaha VSX D-411
Office/Listening room: Cornwall II driven by Harman Kardon HK870, HK825, HK TU610.  And Heresy H1 driven by HK 330b
Daughter's apartment: KEF C40 driven by HK 330a

• Like 1

Two for me.  The main system is in the living room, and it's detailed below in my sig line.

The second system is in the bedroom.  It's a 4.2 setup.  It gets the hand-me-downs from the living room system when I upgrade that.  The front speakers are a pair of Audio Logic AL-750s, made in Concord, just north of Toronto.  I bought them in 1980 and had the woofers re-surrounded in 2004.  In 2006, I got La Scalas, and the Audio Logics went to the bedroom.  They flank the dresser at the foot of the bed.  The cabinets are quite similar in size and shape to Forté cabinets, at 36" high, 16" wide, and 12" deep, but the contents are very different.  They're bass-reflex, with two 10" woofers and two 1" dome tweeters per speaker, crossed over at 1800 Hz.  Hilariously, the claimed frequency response on the info plate behind the grille is 10-25,000 Hz.  The low end starts to roll off at 70 Hz...

The surround speakers are a little pair of bass reflex bookshelf main speakers from a Yamaha "home theatre in a box" that I bought in 2000 for the bedroom, which is where they have remained.  They're 3-way, with 5" woofers.

In a bedroom, unless you can place the subwoofer centrally, like at the head or foot of the bed, you'll need two subs, because the mattress and box spring absorb so much of the sound.  I got one sub first, and placed it near the night table.  It was very easy to tell/ hard to ignore that the sub was off to one side of the room, so a month later I bought a second matching sub for the other side.  Yes, in this situation there was no mistaking where the bass was coming from, perhaps because not much bass comes from those little speakers they were originally matched with.  The subs are 8" vented/bass reflex Yamaha models with 90 watt plate amps.  interestingly, they have plenty of cooling fins, so they never feel hot, and convenient On/Off switches on both front and rear, unlike other much more powerful subs that I've owned that have no power switches and few or no fins, and feel warm even on Standby.  One bedroom sub is on the left night table (can you tell that I live alone?), and the right one is on a little table near the bed.  They went to the bedroom after I got a Paradigm 400 watt 10" sub for the living room system in 2005.

Having the Main speakers at the foot of the bed and the Surround speakers and subwoofers near the head of the bed means that not much power is ever needed to deliver good bedroom-level sound, so the sound of the system is much less likely to travel through the floor, especially late at night or very early in the morning.

Driving the bedroom speakers is the Yamaha RX-V750 AVR that I bought in 2005 for the main system.  When I upgraded the main system's AVR to an RX-A2060 in 2016, the 750 headed to the bedroom.

As for TVs, the living room has the 65" Panasonic plasma unit, while the bedroom gets the 49" Sony 4K TV.  The Panasonic sits on a Belle Klipsch (the front Centre speaker), while the Sony sits at the foot of the bed, on a custom dresser with no mirror.

If you can call a single powered speaker a "system", the bathroom has one.  It's a SONOS The One, and I'm impressed with the sound from it.  It's moisture resistant, too, so no worries from steamy showers.  Even if I had the counter space, I wouldn't want to expose a Heresy to possible mould or mildew, so that little guy seems just right for the job.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two.

My main system is in the combo living/dining/kitchen of my condo.

The only extra pieces I have are an integrated amp and equalizer, both boxed in the basement. They work together because the amp has preamp inputs/outputs. I sidelined them because I kept wearing out the on/off switch on the amp and would have to send it out for repair every few years which meant I'd be without music for weeks. Since I don't own a TV, I listen to FM all the time and it would be deafeningly quiet without! Heresies and a subwoofer here.

Worn out switches finally got old, so I bought a new integrated amp. After installing it, I found replacement on/off switches for the old amp, bought a couple, repaired the amp, and keep it in reserve. Nothing exotic; around $400 in today's dollars.

In the basement where I work out and wrench on my bikes is my second system, just a receiver and a pair of kg 2.2's on metal shelving, with a kg sw subwoofer. I bought the subwoofer used and it came without feet. Good thing I put feet on it; I had water down there once and the feet kept the sub from going for a swim!

• Like 2

I have three complete systems. 

The Mancave has a couple so I can play with different sounds.  RP-600M, CF-4 and some DIY Overnight Sensations 4" woofs.  The OS actually sound OK paired with the DIY 15" Reference 15 sub.

Downstairs is the big 9.4.0 HT setup.  DIYSoundgroup Titan 615 LX pair, Klipsch RC-64 III in the middle.  RS-62 on the side, a couple of large DIYSoundgroup boxes with 15" woofs and 12" SEOS waveguides.  Front Heights are DIYSoundgroup Pure 10.

Pair of DIYSoundgroup 15" subs and a pair of DIYSoundgroup Magnum 12 Mid-bass Modules.  The Front Heights are not shown.

The Star of the Show is the RC-64 III.  It outshines everything else.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

What model Polk?

Monitor 5b. A few dings in the vinyl but otherwise sound condition. More I listen to them the more I like them. They seem to have awakened from their sleep over a few days of use. Think I'm going to use them for practice and veneer the cabinets and maybe recover the grilles even though the grilles are fine. Here is a photo of one of 'em. Other is same.

polk copy.jpeg

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

Monitor 5b. A few dings in the vinyl but otherwise sound condition. More I listen to them the more I like them. They seem to have awakened from their sleep over a few days of use. Think I'm going to use them for practice and veneer the cabinets and maybe recover the grilles even though the grilles are fine. Here is a photo of one of 'em. Other is same.

polk copy.jpeg

I have a pair of those as well. They greatly benefit from good power and the right stands. Much better bass than the 5jr. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I have three complete systems. 

The Mancave has a couple so I can play with different sounds.  RP-600M, CF-4 and some DIY Overnight Sensations 4" woofs.  The OS actually sound OK paired with the DIY 15" Reference 15 sub.

Downstairs is the big 9.4.0 HT setup.  DIYSoundgroup Titan 615 LX pair, Klipsch RC-64 III in the middle.  RS-62 on the side, a couple of large DIYSoundgroup boxes with 15" woofs and 12" SEOS waveguides.  Front Heights are DIYSoundgroup Pure 10.

Pair of DIYSoundgroup 15" subs and a pair of DIYSoundgroup Magnum 12 Mid-bass Modules.  The Front Heights are not shown.

The Star of the Show is the RC-64 III.  It outshines everything else.

Question. Do you have resonance issues with the racks? I’ve avoided putting speakers on mine. Not at all criticizing. I love the look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWOReilly said:

Do you have resonance issues with the racks? I’ve avoided putting speakers on mine. Not at all criticizing.

I know you weren't criticizing.  That usually starts out with "WHAT THE HELL IS WR0NG WITH YOU?!"  🤣

+++

On a similar note, previously I never had a problem  with the racks vibrating.  Then another forum member asked me the same thing you did.  I put my hand around one of the posts, and son-of-a-gun, resonance!  Who knew?  lol

I think the subs vibrate the racks the most.  I put everything on rubber pads but it continues to vibrate just the same.  I like the racks with the wheels because I can easily move those heavy things with relative ease and I'm always behind them changing wires or moving them around. Since this picture I've moved the subs inwards towards the TV, speakers to the outside and I added Front Heights over the L/R speakers.

I have them about three feet from the front wall and my couches about three feet from the back wall.  It sounds good but I know I still have room issues.

I have 7' ceilings, carpet over a concrete floor and no side walls for at least 10 feet on each side.  Even though you correctly predicted the vibration issues, it is a problem but it's not my biggest problem.  Even though the system sounds pretty good, I know there's a lot more to figure out. 

Thanks for asking.  🤜🤛

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I know you weren't criticizing.  That usually starts out with "WHAT THE HELL IS WR0NG WITH YOU?!"  🤣

+++

On a similar note, previously I never had a problem  with the racks vibrating.  Then another forum member asked me the same thing you did.  I put my hand around one of the posts, and son-of-a-gun, resonance!  Who knew?  lol

I think the subs vibrate the racks the most.  I put everything on rubber pads but it continues to vibrate just the same.  I like the racks with the wheels because I can easily move those heavy things with relative ease and I'm always behind them changing wires or moving them around. Since this picture I've moved the subs inwards towards the TV, speakers to the outside and I added Front Heights over the L/R speakers.

I have them about three feet from the front wall and my couches about three feet from the back wall.  It sounds good but I know I still have room issues.

I have 7' ceilings, carpet over a concrete floor and no side walls for at least 10 feet on each side.  Even though you correctly predicted the vibration issues, it is a problem but it's not my biggest problem.  Even though the system sounds pretty good, I know there's a lot more to figure out. 

Thanks for asking.  🤜🤛

I have my turntable, amp etc on a small one and wound up putting a 50lb plate under the TT and the shelf is bolted to the wall. I also use one for my tv room. The center rests on one. I think the key is to have more evenly distributed weight. Or just turn it up louder. 😉

45BD09AF-E2F1-4090-A1AA-D454EE9A9101.jpeg

• Like 1