Just how much?

geezin'

Sub do I need? Don't care for bloated muddy thumping bass. Listen to everything 'cept rap/hiphop,pop and country. Mostly vintage rock and jazz. System is as follows/Topping PA3s/Schiit Modi 3+/Fluance RT-80/Klipsch R620f. no experience with subs and don't want to spend a lot to find out what I have is good for me. Was looking at a Monoprice 12 inch 150 watt sub. Thing is the specs say it goes to 50Hz and the 610 to 45 Hz. Does this matter? I'd appreciate any clarification. Thanks.

Monoprice Sub

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Suggestions?

What size room?

I've used 10" -12" 15" single and 15" dual subs.  In my bedroom sized mancave a 10" with 250 wpc sounds quite nice.

RP600M and Paradigm 10" sub, 250 wpc plate amp.

IMG_0388_small.jpg

• Like 1

To answer your question, no I don't think you need. Your speakers go pretty low as is. Do you feel you're missing something.

Of course,  I use La Scala's and I don't need/want a sub, so maybe I'm not the right person to ask.

Size room, how loud you listen, your gear, and speaker placement are things I would consider first before a sub.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I would look on Craigslist, Facebook, etc for an SVS sub near you.

What???  Did you see where @geezin'  is from?  The man is from West Virginia!  🤣

I would wager there isn't a used Klipsch speaker, much less a used SVS within a two hour road trip of him, and I don't even know what area he's from.  I'm from Parkersburg where Columbus, Ohio is a two hour trip, one way.  The Khorns were a two hour trip, the La Scala's a six hour trip.  RF-83 package?  Fourteen hours, one way.

I Love road trips.  😎

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, svberger said:

To answer your question, no I don't think you need. Your speakers go pretty low as is. Do you feel you're missing something.

Of course,  I use La Scala's and I don't need/want a sub, so maybe I'm not the right person to ask.

Size room, how loud you listen, your gear, and speaker placement are things I would consider first before a sub.

Room is an oddball about 12'X15' with furniture paneled walls hardwood floors and a big open space on the left into the dining room.  I sit here listening to Little Feat's Dixie Chicken and the bass is clean clear and snappy. Earlier was listening to Macy Gray's Stripped which was recorded in a church in Brooklyn NY with a single microphone. Both string and electric bass. Very clean and spacious. Thanks for that I think you may be correct.

Even though the speakers are entry level they're still Klipsch and it shows when I listen to a good recording. After getting the class d amp I spent some time with a set up record redoing speaker location yesterday and this morning. It did change a bit from where it was.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. By all means speak up if you've something to say on the matter. My mind's never really made up if ya know what I mean.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geezin' said:

Room is an oddball about 12'X15' with furniture paneled walls hardwood floors and a big open space on the left into the dining room.  I sit here listening to Little Feat's Dixie Chicken and the bass is clean clear and snappy. Earlier was listening to Macy Gray's Stripped which was recorded in a church in Brooklyn NY with a single microphone. Both string and electric bass. Very clean and spacious. Thanks for that I think you may be correct.

Even though the speakers are entry level they're still Klipsch and it shows when I listen to a good recording. After getting the class d amp I spent some time with a set up record redoing speaker location yesterday and this morning. It did change a bit from where it was.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. By all means speak up if you've something to say on the matter. My mind's never really made up if ya know what I mean.

In blind testing, bass is 30% of what factors into a listeners subjective opinions. As with any such question that holds this much weight, buy the best you can afford. Set up your system to take care of the details.

• Like 1

You'll want a sub that goes down to 30 Hz at least, and 25 Hz is better (A 50 Hz sub is not really a subwoofer, since many normal speakers can go that low.).  Those are their limits, and like anything operating at its limit, its performance in that range will be substandard at best.  This means that the sub's lowest rated bass limit should be below what you expect to hear in the music you like.

As for power, I'd recommend at least 300 watts.  In my system, I've had 90 watts (barely audible), 400 watts (pretty good, actually), and now two 850 watt subs, and the system sounds amazing.  Now it's in the big leagues.  Okay, not in Jubilee or MWM territory, but pretty good for its size.

Of course, power isn't everything.  I'm just using it here to make simple comparisons.  Engineering is just as important, and you don't get top engineering with budget speakers or subwoofers.  For that reason, I'd go for a good brand, one that is made by a company that also makes some high end subs, so there may be some trickle down of technology and design from them.  I was quite happy with a Paradigm 400 watt 10" sub for 15 years, as my speakers went through changes for the better.  I bought that one slightly used from a local hi-fi shop, and paid about half of MSRP.  Most hi-fi shops take trade-ins, so that's a good place to look for bargains.  Unlike a pawnshop, a hi-fi shop will know what they're selling, and can advise you on what sub best suits your system, or if you're planning for the future, what will suit speakers that you're likely to acquire when it suits your budget.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, geezin' said:

Earlier was listening to Macy Gray's Stripped which was recorded in a church in Brooklyn NY with a single microphone

That actually a really good binaural recording! At least the Chesky Records version is, I thought there was only oner version to be honest. Great recording! One of the few records where sub bass isn't summed to mono. So a true stereo bass setup gives advantages with it. 

Yes it's the Chesky version and that's the only one as far as I know. One of my favorites for listening when a change is made. From what I read they used a single mic. No matter it's a great album.