Where/how can I buy a pair of Klipschorn speakers and ship them to New Zealand?

At least someone has agreed to sell to me and transport the speakers to the container port. And having read all the reply comments on my original post I believe the La Scalas is the best way to go. Apparently there will be a little less base than the Khorns but I am not too worried about that. My current main amplifier is a 300B PSE. For the long term, I am considering the idea of buying a 45 SE amplifier. I heard a demo of a 45 amplifier powering a pair of La Scalas on YouTube (through my headphones) and the result was stunning. No Subwoofer. Dealer's choice, but I never use a sub. I have never been able to balance a sub on a stereo without having to change the settings whenever the album is changed, be that vinyl or CD. And sometimes I needed to change the settings between tracks. So I just setup a stereo as best I can then get used to listening to it, and accepting it as is.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, Full Range said:

@Takapunaman 

Kia Ora my NZ brother 

You can purchase them “new” from the Australian distributor but you need to enquire about shipping and the exchange rate 

However as with my Klipsch La Scala that were originally built by @sootshe 

It could be a better option to build a pair via available plans 

Well, I could buy from the Australian distributor if I had a lazy NZ$36,000.00 hanging around, but unfortunately my lotto ticket didn't come through this week. I did consider building a pair, but all the timber, CNC cut works out around NZ$2,000.00, then all the electronic bits and pieces, not to mention staining and varnishing, and the speaker covers, and quickly gets to NZ$10,000.00 for a professionally finished pair of Speakerlab Khorn copies. Plus all my time and effort. That was the dilemma I was faced with. So I have trawled eBay and after 9 months have finally managed to negotiate an acceptable deal for a pair of La Scalas. Landed and tax paid (twice!) they will cost around $6,000.00, plus the Crites A crossover kits which I should be able to assemble/fit myself.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 8:46 AM, Peter P. said:

You mean to tell me there's NO dealer in the U.S. that would sell a pair of Klipschorns and ship them internationally if the buyer was willing to pay for crating and shipping?

Possibly. But dealers are selling full price new speakers. I thought of open box speakers. But even then we are talking around NZ$26,000.00 by the time they are landed in NZ and tax paid here. And don't forget there would be zero guarantee if anything went wrong. It is simply impossible to simply ship them back for repair and no local dealer would get involved, So it would need to be second had and take a chance. I have ended up with La Scalas at NZ$6,000.00 landed in NZ tax paid. That is a completely different price bracket and allows for the possibility of getting the A crossover which from what I have read appears to be the best option without going for something exotic.

15 minutes ago, Takapunaman said:

Well, I could buy from the Australian distributor if I had a lazy NZ$36,000.00 hanging around, but unfortunately my lotto ticket didn't come through this week. I did consider building a pair, but all the timber, CNC cut works out around NZ$2,000.00, then all the electronic bits and pieces, not to mention staining and varnishing, and the speaker covers, and quickly gets to NZ$10,000.00 for a professionally finished pair of Speakerlab Khorn copies. Plus all my time and effort. That was the dilemma I was faced with. So I have trawled eBay and after 9 months have finally managed to negotiate an acceptable deal for a pair of La Scalas. Landed and tax paid (twice!) they will cost around $6,000.00, plus the Crites A crossover kits which I should be able to assemble/fit myself.

You will have greater flexibility in positioning the La Scala’s 

And if you require more bass you can add an active subwoofer 

Also have a look at my crossover build as I have spent a great amount of time perfecting them 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Takapunaman said:

My current main amplifier is a 300B PSE.

I used some 2A3 amps on two different sets of La Scalas, and was totally satisfied with the bass output. I currently have no horn loaded speakers, and really, really miss what thay bring to the table.

• 4 months later...

Hi, so I am now the proud owner of a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers. They have the AL crossovers which are in terrible physical condition in addition to being the least preferred crossover according to many website comments. I am considering upgrading the speakers, and if they are to be kept authentic, I am wondering whether to upgrade to the genuine AL-4 crossovers. Just an idea at this stage.

• Like 3

Congratulations !

Don't worry too much about opinions on the internet. Spend several months listening to your speakers and adjusting how they are arranged in your living room (be systematic and it can be a tedious process). Once that is done, then it is time to think about possible "upgrades". 

Enjoy them,

-Tom

• Like 3

Second all of Tom's comments above.  Speaker placement is critical and an inch or a degree or two matter.  I spent months moving mine around until I zeroed in on the spot.  A tape measure and drafting triangle are useful.  A willingness to experiment will be rewarded instead of just plopping them where they look best today and walking away. 

• Like 1

@Takapunaman, congratulations on your efforts and success!

Wholeheartedly agree with @PrestonTom and @Racer X. Give them a while to get used to that fresh NZ air. The farther you can get them out from the back wall the deeper the soundstage will go, and better to have nothing in between them if possible.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have owned La Scalas first with the AL-3, second AA and lastly AL crossovers and I was surprised to find I had no immediate objections to the sound of the ALs despite years of bias on the forums and being predisposed to the sound of the other two. If anything I was more disappointed with the highs using the AAs, none of them recapped. The AL crossover attenuates the mids by 6db compared to 4db on the AL-3s and 3db on the AAs.

Please keep us in the loop!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Takapunaman said:

They have the AL crossovers which are in terrible physical condition in addition to being the least preferred crossover according to many website comments. 

Nothing wrong with the AL , it's a complicated crossover for sure , yes , but bad , nope

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Takapunaman said:

Hi, so I am now the proud owner of a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers. They have the AL crossovers which are in terrible physical condition in addition to being the least preferred crossover according to many website comments. I am considering upgrading the speakers, and if they are to be kept authentic, I am wondering whether to upgrade to the genuine AL-4 crossovers. Just an idea at this stage.

I had built a custom pair of crossovers for my La Scala’s 

Lots of listening and component testing 

But in the end I got what I wanted and the sound is simply stunning 

If interested go to this build thread - schematic of the last and current version is posted 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Takapunaman said:

Congrats! Drop me a DM, we may have a new crossover in stock in our Melbourne warehouse. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/27/2022 at 2:27 AM, Marvel said:

I used some 2A3 amps on two different sets of La Scalas, and was totally satisfied with the bass output. I currently have no horn loaded speakers, and really, really miss what thay bring to the table.

I am using a 2A3 amp with my La Scalas. I am very happy. The La Scalas are impressive. I cannot fault the AL crossovers - well balanced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, wuzzzer said:

Shipping something that large that far and that valuable is going to turn off most sellers.  For most they don't have a problem finding someone more local to buy.

It's not about the fact that you're willing to pay the shipping costs, it's the upfront transporting, boxing, crating, customs shipping paperwork, worry that they'll be lost or damaged in transit, etc.

All of that. 🙄

On 1/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, BIGAL007 said:

Hey Takapunaman, I am selling a pair of the latest Klipschorns AK6 in Walnut if you are interested. 

I am based in Palmy.

They are a couple of years old. I'm after 20k if you are interested. 

Cheers

Alex

you can place a For sale ad in the Garage Sale section of the Forum for the AK-6