How Has Your Hearing Changed Over Time?

SWL

On 8/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, DavidWebber72 said:

In running test tones with headphones, I can't hear anything above 16.5khz.  I laugh every time a I read a manufactures spec sheet when they say their tweeters play up to 48khz!  Great...for the dogs in the neighborhood!!!

Holy Cr*"*

I can not hear above, say 6k due to years of Bands. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When the Sony color monitors were the thing back in the late 80s, I could easily hear them scream when they were left powered up but the PC powered down.  But no one else in the office could.

Last family Christmas gathering one of those dang kids and their phone apps was testing how high one could hear.  Think I fell off about 12 K, not too bad for someone old and stuff.

• Like 2

I've only had relatively brief encounters with loudness. I played guitar in several bands over the years. Still do. At 60, and relatively new to horn speakers and tube amps, I recently started sleeping with ear plugs. Every little sound bugs me. Apparently I'm hearing more. 

Hypersensitivity to sound or noise can be a bummer.  While I find loud noise irritating (Doors slamming or closing loudly, and don't get me started on car exhaust system "enhancements") very glad I sleep soundly, except for the vivid dreams waking me up. 

9 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Hypersensitivity to sound or noise can be a bummer.  While I find loud noise irritating (Doors slamming or closing loudly, and don't get me started on car exhaust system "enhancements") very glad I sleep soundly, except for the vivid dreams waking me up. 

Play this at low volume while you sleep. I actually connect it to a rodin coil for vibrations only. It's more powerful than melatonin as far as sleep goes, but your dreams will amuse you.

• Like 1