Palladium P-17B compared to Heresy

JefDC

Hello,

I'm looking at a set of second hand Palladium P-17B's, these speakers have a mid range horn with a passband of (500Hz) 600hz - 3.4kHz

This is even lower than the midrange horn of a Heresy (850Hz - 5000Hz) 

Is the Palladium midrange sound comparable to the Heresy ? 

Thanks ... Jef 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JefDC said:

Is the Palladium midrange sound comparable to the Heresy ? 

Thanks ... Jef 

no , it is  a different sound , the Palladium is a  precise , neutral , in your face mellow, warm sound , while the Heresy can reproduce very powerful HF , like the bigger heritage speakers , for classical music  , the Palladium , For live band sound , the Heresy rocks .

• Like 2

I listen to lots of Classical on Heresy's and it sounds great. I will agree that the Heresy does have a more "live" sound like you at the orchestra, even better with the bigger heritage models but the Heresy is still a great speaker.

I think the way I would describe the difference is the Palladium if you are more into a neutral recording studio type sound and the Heresy if you want a more lively expressive sound.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JefDC said:

Exact the info I needed, thanks !!!

if you have the opportunity to purchase the Palladium , dont miss it , the speakers cabinets are works of art and a very stiff  build , the Palladium P-17B  has the same HF drivers as the P-39F  packing  a midrange to die for   , and most important without the  ear fatigue   , it's actually a  rare speaker that has no equivalent  unless you compare it  to the rest of the Palladium Series  .

• Like 3

I have to heartily agree with @RandyH on this one.  While the Heresy will have the advantage in bass punch, the Palladium midrange and high frequencies are much better.  The 4.5" horn-loaded midrange driver is simply magical.  The highs are very smooth, silky, and well extended.  If you can audition them first, you should.  Once I heard the P-37F that my friend offered to sell me (he was getting La Scala), I had to have them.  Now I have a house full of palladiums.

• Like 2

Check them carefully.  The Palladium series suffered from surround problems.   Parts are no longer available for those speakers.  I would steer clear.  

Heresy can always be repaired no matter the vintage. 

• Like 1

I had always hoped the Palladium horn combo ( or a derivative based on the research and design work) would have trickled down to the Reference series. They were a spectacular line that was unfortunately out of the reach of many of us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve. said:

Check them carefully.  The Palladium series suffered from surround problems.

it was not the surrounds , but the lack  of glue between the aluminium cap and the cone of the P-39F   ,+  not all woofers played at the same frequency  ,meaning the woofers  could be swapped or fixed easily and  permanently with crazy glue  ,  under warranty they would  send new woofers and even after the warranty was expired , klipsch used to give owners special low  prices on new woofers ,

I’ll chime in as a former P-17b owner.  They don’t sound like Klipsch, they sound like Klipsch trying to compete with B&W high end speakers. No soul no excitement. Smooth and bland. Non offensive but they don’t put on a show.

Different strokes for different folks but I’d take the Heresy’s everyday and twice on tuesdays.

• Like 3

I had a pair of the P-17b's for awhile they were very smooth and detailed but had almost no bass to speak of making them sound a bit small and thin on their own. I replaced them with a pair of vertical RC-7's and was honestly much more happy with their performance overall. 

I've had numerous pairs of H-1's, H-II's and H-III's and while their bass performance is not on par with some of the larger Klipsch speakers I never really had the feeing that they "needed" a sub like the P-17's do. 

P-17's cost twice as much as H-1's on average most likely more, need a sub IMO and have no available replacement parts-- If I wanted that type of sound / performance I'd likely go with a different manufacturer that still warranties their products or offers replacement parts just for piece of mind.

• Like 1