Music Factoid Thread

thebes

Just dropped a couple of tunes in the Right This Minute thread. Started with Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat", and was floored when I read that it was engineered by none other than Alan Parsons.  Well that explains everything I thought, and coincidentally, I have just stashed a cool, granted nerdy, factoid in my head, which will probably dwell there, unused, until I forget it, or incipient senility takes hold.  In other words two to three weeks from now.

Now we may all know all sorts of factoid stuff about gear, speakers, tubes, the coefficient of a 40 hertz signal from Mars, in delineation to a modulation of a 13uf capacitor. So I'm wondering just how many nifty musical facts does this place have at our fingertips, suppressed from out Teen years until now.  Filed away until now, awaiting official Thebesian permission to let it run free across the internet of Klipsch.

So what say ye, my friends?  Are ye with me?

(No Beatles factoids allowed, of course.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebes said:

But there are so many of them...

Here a non Beatles one...

Andy Wallace, producer, engineer, mixer on projects from Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Paul McCartney(oops, snuck in there), Slayer, Jeff Buckley... you get the idea. Was a Graduate of University of Notre Dame and played in a Band called First Friday. While some of the band played on an album recorded at Golden Voice Studio in South Pekin, Ill., used my Martin D-18.

Golden Voice also recorded music for Dan Fogelberg, Styx, Petra, Heartsfield, Head East, Chuck and Mary Perrin and other groups large and small.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebes said:

Good one Marvel!

Somewhat similar. The jazz group Crusaders keyboardist, Joe Sample, also played on Steely Dan's "Aja" album.

a lot of musicians played on that album.. And were recorded then did not make the cut..

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:03 PM, thebes said:

Just dropped a couple of tunes in the Right This Minute thread. Started with Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat", and was floored when I read that it was engineered by none other than Alan Parsons.  Well that explains everything I thought, and coincidentally, I have just stashed a cool, granted nerdy, factoid in my head, which will probably dwell there, unused, until I forget it, or incipient senility takes hold.  In other words two to three weeks from now.

Now we may all know all sorts of factoid stuff about gear, speakers, tubes, the coefficient of a 40 hertz signal from Mars, in delineation to a modulation of a 13uf capacitor. So I'm wondering just how many nifty musical facts does this place have at our fingertips, suppressed from out Teen years until now.  Filed away until now, awaiting official Thebesian permission to let it run free across the internet of Klipsch.

So what say ye, my friends?  Are ye with me?

as Engineer
1969 Abbey Road (The Beatles) Apple 1 UK
US

1970 Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd) Harvest 1
UK
US

1971 Stormcock (Roy Harper) Harvest      
1971 Wild Life (Wings) Apple 10
US
UK

1973 The Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) Harvest 2
UK
US

1973 Red Rose Speedway (Paul McCartney and Wings) Apple 1
US
UK

1974 Hollies (The Hollies) Polydor (UK), Epic (US) 28 US  
1975 Another Night (The Hollies)   132 US  
1975 Ambrosia (Ambrosia) 20th Century 22 US  
1976 Year of the Cat (Al Stewart)   5 US  
1978 Time Passages (Al Stewart)   10 US  
2013 The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) (Steven Wilson) Kscope 28 UK  
as Producer
1974 From the Album of the Same Name (Pilot) EMI      
1974 The Psychomodo (Cockney Rebel) EMI      
1975 The Best Years of Our Lives (Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel)    
1975 Second Flight (Pilot)        
1975 Modern Times (Al Stewart)        
1976 Rebel (John Miles)   171 US  
1976 Year of the Cat (Al Stewart)   5 US  
1976 Somewhere I've Never Travelled (Ambrosia) 20th Century 79 US  
1978 Time Passages (Al Stewart)   10 US  
1979 Lenny Zakatek (Lenny Zakatek) A&M   US  
March 1984 Keats EMI      
1985 Ladyhawke (OST by Andrew Powell) Atlantic Records      
1993 Symphonic Music of Yes RCA      
2012 Grand Ukulele (Jake Shimabukuro) Mailboat Records      
2017 Blackfield V (Blackfield) Kscope   UK, Israel  
2019 Jonathan Cilia Faro (Grown up Christmas List) NewArias Production   USA, Italy  
as Executive Producer / Mentor
1999 Turning the Tide (Iconic Phare) Carrera Records

The Stalin days were dark for Russia and the USSR.  Mass starvation and millions of deaths.  You dared not speak out against Stalin or you would be sent to a gulag where you would be worked to death.

Demetri Shostakovitch's Symphony No.10 was just as dark a piece of music in the beginning followed in the second movement with excitement and uplifting tempos.  Demetri said his 10th Symphony was about Stalin's life.  No wonder he came out with that tidbit, which nobody suspected after after Stalin was dead.

I'll skip the dread part and let you start with the second movement, which really cooks.  Tempos are perfect in this one.

• Like 1