Some Chorus 1 questions

Flevoman

15 hours ago, Flevoman said:

A very annoying rule that reply limit 

Can only now respond to the messages again. 

@captainbeefheart Thanks for your contribution, I'm just wondering why you're so sure these are kimber threads? 

I assume kimber is a brand? 

@RandyHthank you so much 😄

You even looked up the address details and the type of number. Super 👍🏻

I had already seen some positive reactions about this Tweeter modification. I'm going to look up some more information about what the experiences are. But this sounds like a very affordable modification. 

Is there only a choice of two types? Stock and this one? 

I tried to take pictures of the filter before I left. Unfortunately, the circuit board blocks the hole so I can't take it out so quickly. I think I have to remove the woofer first to get to the filter 

If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it

20220307_064112.jpg

looking at this pic, can anyone confirm that is a stock resistor? i though klipsch used the white cast resistors on these crossovers, my chorus 2 are the white cast. 

the crossover should come out from the backside, you said you cant get it out,  but it should come out the back side of the cabinet as designed, they are a tight fit so might need to lift up (based on the pic) then swing the bottom part out & down, do this from the back after removing the 6 screws from the plastic speaker wire terminal.  trying to remove it from the woofer hole will require unscrewing the boards from the terminal plate & the big metal autoformer, that is not how they are designed to come out.  try to manipulate the whole terminal from the back side some more to get it out that way. 

anyone else own chorus & able to help him with removal of the crossover & speaker terminal as one piece? every klipsch speaker of this era i have owned the complete unit comes out as one piece.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Thanks for your contribution, I'm just wondering why you're so sure these are kimber threads? 

I assume kimber is a brand? 

I am not 100% positive, after Cranky identified the wiring as Kimber I went to have a look and find data sheets and to me it also looked just like it. People do clone cabling and it is possible it's not a true Kimber product.

As for the resistor, in the pictures posted it looks like a wirewound type and as other mentioned it's typically a ceramic type in the crossovers. I have no idea why anyone would change the resistors out, ceramic power resistors have lower inductance and better pulse characteristics, they actually best wirewound in every aspect except noise, which with speaker network applications shouldn't be a concern.

• Like 1

I really can't get the filter out through the hole on the back. Not even with maneuvering. 

The circuit board stays hooked at the top, and at the bottom is that big block so I can't tilt it. 

@captainbeefheartIt is a bit difficult for me to understand your text. But do I understand you correctly that you think this is not the original crossover filter? 

Edited by Flevoman

After all these useful messages full of information, can I also say something about my experience about the speakers now that I have been listening to them for a few days? 

I'm so glad to have them. ☺️

As a first impression, I found the sound image very similar to that of the Heresy. 

Now that I have listened more, I can hear better how much better these speakers sound. 

Of course a larger soundstage and a deeper and more bass. But I now also hear more air in the sound. The sound comes out of the speaker so much easier and with more detail. The low is really perfect for me now.. Would really not want any more bass then i have right now. It is tight, just right.. And the bass comes out so airy and detailed, so easy.. What a great speakers.. I'm so impressed . 

What I also noticed what this speaker does a lot better than the Heresy, is to continue to display all instruments separately from each other. 

I even think they sound better then the lascala I also own. I must be wrong because the lascala should sound better 

But I haven not  heard them for some years now (I have stored them) , so I kind of forgot what they sounded like. 

But I don't remember the midrange being like this. 

What the Heresy does better is the placement of all instruments and vocals. With the Heresy every instrument and vocal was pin point to a location in front of me. . With the Chorus, the sound comes more from left and right and then a bit from somewhere in the middle. 

But damn.. What an awesome speakers they are 

Edited by Flevoman
  • Like 4

On 3/5/2022 at 11:43 PM, Flevoman said:

Good day,

OK, I'm happy... Today on Marktplaats (The Dutch version of ebay) I bought a pair of Chorus 1. 

You rarely see this speaker offered for sale here in the Netherlands, so I'm very happy to been able to find them. 

But now I have a few questions

-these are very old speakers, I think 35 years. Are there any components that I can better replace because they have decayed over the years? 

-before this I had the Heresy 2

It strikes me how much the speakers are similar in terms of sound. Had expected a bigger difference honestly

I have the feeling that the Heresy 2 sounds a bit fresher, maybe a little tighter 

The Chorus sounds a bit more like a horn. 

Soundstage is bigger of the chorus and I can hear the difference in the low. 

But I'm a bit surprised to notice that the Heresy2 has a more fresh and tight sound. 

Is what I describe as a sound image recognizable? Or is there something wrong in the Chorus 

Are those the same chorus that were also advertised on 2ememain.be (the Belgian marktplaats)? I saw a pair that had been painted white for a very interesting price but they didn't stay long... are you the happy buyer? 🙂

17 minutes ago, Rolox said:

Are those the same chorus that were also advertised on 2ememain.be (the Belgian marktplaats)? I saw a pair that had been painted white for a very interesting price but they didn't stay long... are you the happy buyer? 🙂

😄😄.. Yes, I'm the one. 

I saw they where also advertised on a Belgium website. 

It was a fierce fight with other interested parties who wanted to buy, but I won the fight 😇

I paid a lot for these speakers, but that pain is quickly forgotten  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

😄😄.. Yes, I'm the one. 

I saw they where also advertised on a Belgium website. 

It was a fierce fight with other interested parties who wanted to buy, but I won the fight 😇

I paid a lot for these speakers, but that pain is quickly forgotten  

Oh well, Heritage Klipsch are rare in our countries so no matter how much you paid, it was a smart move in my opinion 😉 congrats on you purchase! 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Rolox said:

Oh well, Heritage Klipsch are rare in our countries so no matter how much you paid, it was a smart move in my opinion 😉 congrats on you purchase! 

Amen to that! There´ s a pair of Heresys on german ebay kleinanzeigen today, nothing special, stacked one on the other on the pictures, on bare outsides stone flooring (so much for the veneer then...), seller is asking 1500€! Can´ t remember seeing Chorus here....

Here in the Netherlands we have pair of Fortes for sale, good condition.. 2250,-

I think its really funny when I see older American topics where people ask if 600 dollar is a fair price for the Forte 2 😄

Oh boy, I wish we had this position to choose from different heritage speakers and for that amount of money.... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Here in the Netherlands we have pair of Fortes for sale, good condition.. 2250,-

I think its really funny when I see older American topics where people ask if 600 dollar is a fair price for the Forte 2 😄

Oh boy, I wish we had this position to choose from different heritage speakers and for that amount of money.... 

I had the same speaker lineup:  Heresy I, Chorus II, and then vintage La Scalas. I really wanted the La Scala first, but got the Heresy and Chorus so I could experiment with mods. Now I only have the La Scalas, and they have benefited nicely from my earlier experiments.

Get your La Scalas out of storage. La Scalas have great power, and you must use your upgrade powers for good.

@pcbiz I started with the RF3, RF3II, lascala... Then for a very long time no more audio.. Heresy2 en now the Chorus. 

I will never sell the Lascala's or the Heresy's. But no, for now I keep it like this. Maybe in the future I will give the lascala another try, but for now I'm happy how it is. 

@billybobyes sir, I certainly will.. 

But not THAT loud... You know, something with neighbors and stuff... 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Flevoman said:

After all these useful messages full of information, can I also say something about my experience about the speakers now that I have been listening to them for a few days? 

I'm so glad to have them. ☺️

As a first impression, I found the sound image very similar to that of the Heresy.

I even think they sound better then the lascala I also own. I must be wrong because the lascala should sound better 

But damn.. What an awesome speakers they are 

that's why I recommended to wait 1 week , and re-evaluate the speakers , I guess you are now convinced to leave them as-is  ,   since the speakers are working properly -👍

33 minutes ago, RandyH said:

that's why I recommended to wait 1 week , and re-evaluate the speakers , I guess you are now convinced to leave them as-is  ,   since the speakers are working properly -👍

I understand what you mean, and you're right that it's better to listen first before judging. 

But I don't think I was entirely clear. 

I immediately thought the speakers sounded good, Only my first impression was that they don't sound that much different from the Heresy's. And I'll come back to that now indead. 

I now hear more and better what these speakers do differently than the Heresys. But my point of criticism remains, he sounds a bit less clear, a bit nasal than the Heresy. 

But doing a recap, damping the midhorn or perhaps a titanium diaphragm should fix this 

5 hours ago, Flevoman said:

a titanium diaphragm should fix this

yep                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

6 hours ago, Flevoman said:

damping the midhorn or perhaps a titanium diaphragm should fix this 

You would like the aluminum LMAHL tweeter over the titanium diaphragm. I've had both, and the aluminum tweeter is much, much better.