Some Chorus 1 questions

Flevoman

3 hours ago, Flevoman said:

OK, It is clear to me that this bundle of wires is complete nonsense. I will have this adjusted to a normal wiring situation 

Thank you all for helping me out. I appreciate it 👍🏻

Don't throw the black and blue wiring away. Save them for experimenting on your La Scalas later. 

12 hours ago, pcbiz said:

Don't throw the black and blue wiring away. Save them for experimenting on your La Scalas later. 

Thx for the tip, And then I can say that I will definitely do this ..... But no, I know myself.. This will never happen 😏

47 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Thx for the tip, And then I can say that I will definitely do this ..... But no, I know myself.. This will never happen 😏

I definitely understand. Maybe you can get a few dollars for them on ebay. If I were nearby I would definitely get them. I'm still experimenting on my La Scalas.

9 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

@pcbiz Are these cables special then?? 

Yes! I believe they were about $1,500 US Dollars. There were other comments in this thread that identified them more precisely. I personally would not have spent $1,500 on them, but the previous owner definitely did.

30 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

Yes! I believe they were about $1,500 US Dollars. There were other comments in this thread that identified them more precisely. I personally would not have spent $1,500 on them, but the previous owner definitely did.

I find this hard to believe. No brand or marks can be found on the cables. Just a plain blue and black cable. Cables that are so expensive have a different look, it seems to me. 

18 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

I find this hard to believe. No brand or marks can be found on the cables. Just a plain blue and black cable. Cables that are so expensive have a different look, it seems to me. 

Expensive cables are a very real thing. Look a few pages back on your thread. A couple of folks posted pictures and data on your cables.

Admittedly I never know how hard speakers are pushed before I get them to work on.  There is more than one reason I do not like electrolytic caps and working on a crossover this past weekend reminds me of another one. I have yet to see one of the poly caps do this but I have pulled more than a few of these off boards. Rest of the components are fine and on the Chorus and 301 crossovers it is always this one that fails in this fashion.

Thought I would add to this just in  case someone wondered why I posted this. This got so hot it is swollen at both ends and part of the plastic side melted. And of course it measured very poorly.

DSC_0007.JPG.90043ebf857900057aaf489d44ec8b3c.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flevoman said:

@pcbiz Are these cables special then?? 

the cables are Kimber BDC  4PR   which costs about  70$ per 1 meter length ,   but this is wire to connect speakers  to an amplifier , it's not wiring for crossovers  -

Indeed, they look exactly like the cables used in the Chorus.  Then they are indeed not cheap cables.  I leave the cables.  Firstly, because soldering is not beneficial for the filter.  And secondly, because this wickerwork is apparently supposed to be.  I thought someone had put those cables together themselves.  Thanks for the info about the cables 👍🏻

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey @Flevoman, 
Quartet owner here from the Hague. I'm curious to know how your Chorus 1 journey ended. Do you still have them? If so, how do you like them?
I've upgraded my Quartets with Bob Crites crossovers and for me it was really a big difference. Much clearer sound. 

Edited by PieterH
  • Like 3