Some Chorus 1 questions

Flevoman

14 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Why do I have to use these speakers for a week to see if there are any changes according to you RandyH? 

As far as I know, the speakers have  been in use all the time. So I don't expect the sound to change after a week of listening. Or do I misunderstand you? 

Please   swap the tweeter from the Heresy II , into the Chorus 1  for a quick test to determine if the tweeters are the problem ( different  diaphragm )

your 2 pairs of speakers are rated at 100 wpc /

Aftermarket parts , will mess up the sound of your speakers , always buy klipsch Original parts .

1)  The amplifier is ok ,  no need for a high power SS amplifier , the ST 70 should sound even better with the Chorus 1 versus  the Heresy II -

2)  klipsch Parts  sell the OEM Ti diaphragms / part #  127123 and it is about $35.,  these diaphragms ar used on  the klipsch  Pro speakers  rated at 200 wpc .

3)- klipsch Original Capacitors ,are the only capacitors that are tested /guaranteed to reproduce the klipsch Chorus 1  sound signature -you can reach out to @JEM Performance , they are the exclusive klipsch supplier , JEM can send you the new  parts via an Envelope to save on shipping to the EU

Good luck

• Like 1

Lol.. You're not supposed to apologize because I misunderstood 😄

But OK, that's really, really simple then. 

I'm going to ask that guy if he wants to do this.

If all this is possible (and I have no doubt about that) I will contact you to ask what parts need to be replaced and also for what. Then I can send this information to that guy. 

One more question though 😏

What do you think is smarter to do. 

Replace the caps only, or just go for a whole new improved crossover filter 

@RandyH thank you so much for the help and sharing this information.

With testing the Heresy Tweeter in the Chorus. I have to open the Tweeter of the Heresy and swap the diaphagram to the Chorus, is this correct? 

I don't own the right tools Unfortunally to do these tests. 

But I do remember this, maybe I can find someone who can do this. 

15 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Lol.. You're not supposed to apologize because I misunderstood 😄

But OK, that's really, really simple then. 

I'm going to ask that guy if he wants to do this.

If all this is possible (and I have no doubt about that) I will contact you to ask what parts need to be replaced and also for what. Then I can send this information to that guy. 

One more question though 😏

What do you think is smarter to do. 

Replace the caps only, or just go for a whole new improved crossover filter 

LOL!  just want to be sure we understand each other best. 

its smarter to replace caps only, the other parts in the crossover dont go bad, its only the caps that affect the sound. 

aftermarket parts will NOT "mess up the sound of your speakers"  thousands & thousands of people use crites for crossover work & are very happy with the results, but some seem to have a problem with that & think only stock klipsch caps sound good... many other members on here use better quality caps with excellent results & 99+% are more than happy.  nothing wrong with using the stock caps but its not required as implied.  i will leave it at that since the capacitor subject is kinda touchy around here. 

best of luck whatever you decide.  

• Like 1

Just now, Flevoman said:

@RandyH thank you so much for the help and sharing this information.

With testing the Heresy Tweeter in the Chorus. I have to open the Tweeter of the Heresy and swap the diaphagram to the Chorus, is this correct? 

I don't own the right tools Unfortunally to do these tests. 

But I do remember this, maybe I can find someone who can do this. 

you dont have to swap the diaphragm , since these are relatively delicate , just swap the entire tweeter , 4 Phillips screws should do it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

OK, cool.. I thought it wouldn't fit 

Just be easy with it and it will come out when you are ready.

Just know that the capacitors hold electricity so, no poking or prodding them with fingers.

They can be drained. 

Too many cooks so let these members help out...

One thing that I noticed from the pictures is the way the wires are braided together, I have never seen this in a stock Klipsch speaker. You ask why is this important? The way it's braided will add inductance to the tweeter network acting as a low pass filter and attenuating your high frequencies.

Some have said that because the Chorus can handle more power you should use a higher powered amplifier. The power rating of the speaker has nothing to do with anything besides how much current the voice coil can handle before melting, it does not mean you need a higher power amplifier to use with them. Typically, because of the higher efficiency (sensitivity) of the larger heritage series speakers most people find it opportunistic to switch to a higher quality lower powered amplifier.

It's possible the capacitors are tired, I doubt the films are bad unless they were abused and have had to self heal too many times. The electrolytic (polarized) capacitors are a different story, they have a limited life span depending upon current through them and heat and may be old and dried up by now.

Before replacing the capacitors I would unwind the wiring and separate them and see if that helps, as it is now you have to be getting additional inductance  where you don't want it.

the wires are definitely not original for klipsch chorus, someone has replaced the internal wires & quite possibly the capacitors, the small blue electrolytic looks original but strange the wires were replaced.  can you post a pic of the underside of the top board to see what caps are in it? 

as for the twisted wires, i doubt that will make any noticeable difference in the sound, some speaker wires are made twisted like that on purpose, not sure why but ive seen them made like that before. any sound difference vs untwisted wires on that short of a length is probably minimal to nonexistent. 

the capacitor thing is debatable & majority of people say they notice a big improvement when replacing the stock mylar caps, with either the same stock type or other poly types,  the caps can & frequently do go bad from age, which is all relative to how they were treated in their life.  ive owned speakers that i abused daily more than the average person for 20+ years & they sound fine still, yet ive bought speakers from the original owner that lived in an apartment & said he never turned them up much but they sounded like crap,  thats the chorus2 i own now that sounded like a wet towel was covering the front,  some budget poly caps made them sound as good as new, & that was comparing them to 2 pair of stock cap chorus2 i had here at the same time that sounded great.  the electrolytics obviously can go bad sooner but they are not in the signal path so have minimal effect on the mid/tweet frequencies, in my experience. worst case scenario is they will let a little bit of higher freq bleed through to the woofer.    

the amp comment i made earlier isnt about current the voice coil can handle before melting.  its that on higher power speakers, low wattage doesnt get the woofer moving as well as higher power does, a few other members here have verified this on chorus speakers & other higher power speakers like the EPIC line or big KLFs etc.  of course they will sound good with quality lower power amps like tubes, thats the high efficiency of the speaker, what i meant was that on chorus with the high power PRO K48 woofer, low wattage doesnt really get it moving as well as higher (quality) watts will.  having a higher power amp means there is a reserve or headroom that will produce better bass, lower distortion & overall better sound for all frequencies, watt for watt.  thats why a 25 watt per channel amp wont sound as good up loud as a 100 watt amp of the same type/brand... especially on higher watt speakers.  ive confirmed this on many different speakers using the same series of adcom amps but more power, a GFA555ii will make a higher power speaker sound better, go louder & have a lot better low bass than a GFA 535ii... 200wpc vs 65wpc.  my apologies if i didnt explain that the right way.       

but again, im no expert so will refrain from questioning what the captain says above, just stating my experience. 

28 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

as for the twisted wires, i doubt that will make any noticeable difference in the sound, some speaker wires are made twisted like that on purpose, not sure why but ive seen them made like that before. any sound difference vs untwisted wires on that short of a length is probably minimal to nonexistent. 

Just 1mH of inductance is 125 ohms at 20kHz.

How much impedance will effect the tweeter? I'd say anything over 1 ohm is going to have losses high enough to easily hear. How much inductance is that? That's only 10uH of inductance to make 1.25 ohms at 20kHz.

10uH is 10*10-6 or .00001H

When testing some speaker wires out that were twisted the inductance was high enough to result in high frequency losses. I'd say it's in the scope of possible for those twisted wires to cause some issues. Easy enough to do a frequency sweep and see what's going on with the networks. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Just 1mH of inductance is 125 ohms at 20kHz.

How much impedance will effect the tweeter? I'd say anything over 1 ohm is going to have losses high enough to easily hear. How much inductance is that? That's only 10uH of inductance to make 1.25 ohms at 20kHz.

10uH is 10*10-6 or .00001H

When testing some speaker wires out that were twisted the inductance was high enough to result in high frequency losses. I'd say it's in the scope of possible for those twisted wires to cause some issues. Easy enough to do a frequency sweep and see what's going on with the networks. 

sorry cant answer your technical questions on inductance/impedance of those wires.  how much inductance would a 1ft run of twisted wires create vs untwisted?  just saying its doubtful the wires are causing the issues he's hearing.  

its not easy enough for the average person to do a frequency sweep... but its easy to simply untwist the wires or replace them with a straight run in one speaker & then compare to the other speaker.  im guessing nobody can tell the difference, or at least not repeatably in a blind A-B test.  & thats all that really matters is what the average human ear can hear. 

34 minutes ago, RandyH said:

the crossover in @Flevoman  Chorus 1  is Original klipsch  -

Chorus I Crossover Recap - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio  Community

& how can you tell that by the pics he posted?  his pics dont show the rest of the caps? someone changed the wires for some reason at some point, its very possible they changed capacitors too.  need him to post more pics to confirm that.  

2 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

& how can you tell that by the pics he posted?  his pics dont show the rest of the caps? someone changed the wires for some reason at some point, its very possible they changed capacitors too.  need him to post more pics to confirm that.  

OP could ask seller if knows anything...

• Like 1

Can I reply all ready? 

Yes!!!... Sjeesss.. I had reached my max amount of replys. 😄

Responding was not possible for me anymore. 

OK, to answer the last question. 

I did contact the last owner with the question of he had changed anything to the speakers. 

He said he owned them for 25 years, did not do anything with them, but he is not the first owner. 

So, or he is not honest (wires are not orriginal).. Or the owner before him have done this modification 

Edited by Flevoman
  • Like 1

The capacitors are stock. The wire is the now hideously expensive Kimber 8TC. 

These folks are typically skeptical when it comes to wild claims. 

https://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/kimber-kable-8tc-speaker-cable/measurements

“Due to the braided geometry of these cables, not only are they low inductance, but their inductance profile vs. frequency is ruler flat for the entire audio band.”

4 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Can I reply all ready? 

Yes!!!... Sjeesss.. I had reached my max amount of replys. 😄

Responding was not possible for me anymore. 

OK, to answer the last question. 

I did contact the last owner with the question of he had changed anything to the speakers. 

He said he owned them for 25 years, did not do anything with them, but he is not the first owner. 

So, or he is not honest (wires are not orriginal).. Or the owner before him have done this modification 

Cool... they'll help you sort it out...