Some Chorus 1 questions

Flevoman

I'm reading all the replys now, but first let me thank you all for helping me out. I really appreciate this. 🙏

OK, about the wires. 

This is apparently a point of discussion. 

But then the answer is very simple. 

I will unravel them just to be sure. 

Maybe I won't hear any difference, But since this is debatable I'm going to be on the safe side. 

It's getting really late over here, so I will make some pictures of the filter tomorrow. 

Edited by Flevoman
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

The capacitors are stock. The wire is the now hideously expensive Kimber 8TC. 

thanks for chiming in dean.  same question about the capacitors, how can you tell they are stock if the OPs pics dont show the rest of the caps?  all i can see is one blue lytic cap in his pics.  they could indeed be stock, just suggesting maybe they arent since the wires were replaced. 

EDIT:  on second thought, the top board where it attaches to the posts does look like original unbroken glue, so they are probably still all original but with changed wires.  

& speaking of wires, any input on the twisting causing a noticeable issue with the sound?  knowing they are what some consider quality brand name wires & expensive, wouldnt kimber know if twisting their wires was a bad thing?  genuinely curious since ive never heard of twisted wires being an issue if they were designed that way.    

@Flevoman

your issue is a non-issue   , the HII crossover was modified and the tweeter diaphragm is aftermarket  , while the Chorus 1 is 100%  original ,  and it is quite normal for the Chorus  tweeter to sound different  versus the H II since  the klipsch K-79 tweeter diaphragm does not sound like the aftermarket .

English is not my language, and I'm not sure how to interpret your reaction. But it feels like you're downplaying my experience now. 

But for me there is an (small) issue, I have great speakers that perform better than the Heresy in many ways, only they sound less fresh, more boxy, than the Heresy. 

And you can indead be right that it's because the previous owner modified the Heresy (something I don't know) . And that I am comparing the original sound of the Chorus with the modified sound of the Heresy. 

But this is still unknown for now.. What I do know is that I like to get the somewhat clear sound of the Heresy in the Chorus. 

It is now important for me to find out what I can do to get there. 

And so far I have already received many useful tips and information that I will also try. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Flevoman said:

And so far I have already received many useful tips and information that I will also try

I knew by your tweeter questions the other day that is the case about the language difference. We tend to give lots of information as we like to help. When there are 3 or more helping, it is alot to follow. Take it slow and enjoy. 3 pages so far whenever 2 pages is plenty.

Lol...🤔

1 hour ago, Flevoman said:

I will unravel them just to be sure. 

Mystery solved thanks to Cranky, those are Kimber cables and we can find the specs out, the inductance is only .041uH per foot which won't cause any issues. So they twisted them for low inductance but they now have increased capacitance of 90pF per foot, that's fairly high compared to regular speaker wire. Still not enough to cause issues in the frequency band.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flevoman said:

I like to get the somewhat clear sound of the Heresy in the Chorus

ok  ,  the klipsch titanium diaphragms klipsch Part  #  127123........ about $35.,  is exactly what you need , they will sound fresher , less boxy , and more open -the modification will please you  .

Contact  klipsch  in the Netherlands ➡️

PlatteTV.nl Nijmegen

Molenstraat 76, 6511 HH Nijmegen, Netherlands

Phone: 024 - 323 0116
Email: nijmegen@plattetv.nl

• Like 1

A very annoying rule that reply limit 

Can only now respond to the messages again. 

@captainbeefheart Thanks for your contribution, I'm just wondering why you're so sure these are kimber threads? 

I assume kimber is a brand? 

@RandyHthank you so much 😄

You even looked up the address details and the type of number. Super 👍🏻

I had already seen some positive reactions about this Tweeter modification. I'm going to look up some more information about what the experiences are. But this sounds like a very affordable modification. 

Is there only a choice of two types? Stock and this one? 

I tried to take pictures of the filter before I left. Unfortunately, the circuit board blocks the hole so I can't take it out so quickly. I think I have to remove the woofer first to get to the filter 

If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it

20220307_064112.jpg

Edited by Flevoman

On 3/6/2022 at 12:54 AM, Flevoman said:

Only I noticed that the Heresy 2 sounded just a bit fresher. A little less nasal, a little less like a horn. And I also had the idea of a little more dynamics in the sound.

I had the same issue with my Chorus IIs. You need to apply Kilmat or some other matting material to the mid horns. That will take out the nasal effect immediately, and produce a more natural sound.

Your internal wiring upgrades look nice. That alone will give you more presence, definition and tighter bass. If you'd like, you can try 10AWG copper wire to see if that helps.

This is also a much better tweeter. I used the Crites titanium diaphragms in my Chorus II speakers, but this tweeter would have been a whole lot better. I used this brand in my Heresy I speakers with great results.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224152702930?hash=item34308acfd2:g:6jcAAOSwBF5d5TWS

17 hours ago, billybob said:

BTW, I removed the woofer wires through a port and removed mid to disconnect those and could reach tweeter wires from mid cavity by hand.

This @Flevoman ... Not necessary to remove woofer. You will be able to remove crossover being gentle. One thing at a time.

@pcbiz thank you for sharing this.

So you covered the midhorn with a dampingmaterial? 

I did a Google search on it and then I find a lot of options. 

Can you please send me a link to the correct material that you have used? 

RandyH Also gave as a suggestion to replace the membrane for a titanium version, so I am allteady searching for users experience 

Didn't the sound become harsh? 

@billybob sorry billybob, you are correct. You told me this before. Had forgotten this, apologies 🙄

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

This is what I used. Very easy to work with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194266046636?hash=item2d3b28a0ac:g:49oAAOSwoQphBsMx

26 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

8 hours ago, Flevoman said:

RandyH Also gave as a suggestion to replace the membrane for a titanium version, so I am allteady searching for users experience 

Didn't the sound become harsh? 

@billybob sorry billybob, you are correct. You told me this before. Had forgotten this, apologies 🙄

using material on the horns is debatable by many if it helps any, so its your choice to try that.  personally i dont think it will fix the issue you are describing since it only dampens the horn from resonance or ringing which the plastic horns in these speakers dont really do like the larger metal horns of the bigger models can.  but by all means give it a try.  you apply the material only to the back side of the horn, you can use the killmat or dynamat stuff or just use rope caulk used for insulating gaps in windows etc, very cheap at any home store & is removable if you dont like it. 

for the tweeters, most people use the crites titanium diaphragms, ordering parts from klipsch will take a month or more to get a reply via email & if you call you will wait on hold for 15-20+ minutes.  crites will reply to emails the same day or answer the phone on the 3rd or 4th ring & ship them out the next day for the same price as klipsch.  i doubt most people will hear a difference between the crites & klipsch titanium diaphragms. majority of people like the titanium tweeters over the stock ones & they are not harsh unless you have very sensative hearing but sounds like you prefer a cripser high freq sound,  i use the crites TI tweeters in my chorus 2 & really like their sound compared to the stock ones. very easy to replace & if you dont like them you can change back to the originals & sell the titanium ones for close to what you paid. 

Links is working fine for me. 

I just bought a few of these damp sheets at the local car shop.. 

It was really cheap, so in the worst case scenario I will only lose some time. 

If I have the time I will try this modification next weekend. Looking forward to try this out t, I'm really curious what the result will be 😀

For now I know what to do. 

In two weeks my tubeamplifier wil be modified, waiting for all the parts now. 

New and better tubes, new caps, and some other minor tweaks.. 

At the same time I will replace the old caps on my filter for new ones. 

Maybe it will improve the sound quality, if not.. It was worth the try 

If after these modifications I still think that the sound does not sound clear enough, then I will try the titanium Tweeter modification. 

• Like 2