Some Chorus 1 questions

Flevoman

10 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Is the aluminum tweeter the original tweeter? 

And why do you think the aluminum tweeter sounded better than the titanium tweeter

I read a lot of positive things about the titanium Tweeter namely 

They are made by a forum member. I've used them for my Heresys and now my La Scalas. They give you a wider sound stage of natural highs, and are very engaging. My titanium tweeter upgrades were brighter, but far less natural and narrow by comparison. 

If cost is a factor, do the titanium. If it isn't, get these instead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224152702930?hash=item34308acfd2:g:6jcAAOSwBF5d5TWS

Is the aluminum tweeter the original tweeter? 

No, it's a completely new, aftermarket custom design with a significantly higher quality compression driver.

And why do you think the aluminum tweeter sounded better than the titanium tweeter

The horn lens is Aluminum but the compression driver diaphragm material is actually Mylar and quite a bit larger at 1.4"

The titanium diaphragm upgrade is nice but not entirely different than stock-- a little more detailed and smoother at higher volumes from my experiences but not night and day differences. 

If you opt for @Dave A tweeters I'd contact him directly through the forum will probably save a little cash versus eBay as they charge fees and taxes. I'd go for the B&C DE-120 driver as they will drop right in the cabinet opening and they're a great sounding driver.

https://www.parts-express.com/B-C-DE120-1-Neodymium-Mylar-Compression-Driver-8-Ohm-2-3-Bo-294-5809

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Flevoman said:

But my point of criticism remains, he sounds a bit less clear, a bit nasal than the Heresy. 

But doing a recap, damping the midhorn or perhaps a titanium diaphragm should fix this 

It really sounds to me like you need a recap of the crossover that is where I'd start.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flevoman said:

the effect of the Titanium tweeter is to add sparkle to the sound stage  , HF are clearer , more open ,  it would be equivalent to adding  treble with a preamp 's tone control or an Equalizer  ,

• Like 2

just to clarify the aluminum tweeter thing,  the aluminum is the horn casting itself that the member here sells & then uses a different diaphragm.  the titaniums use the original plastic horn housing but replaces the original diaphragm with titanium.  the alum horns are very nice from the reviews ive read but they are very expensive so all comes down to budget. 

the titanium diaphragms are a different sound signature than the stock ones,  its not equivalent to just turning up the treble knob... they have a crisper sound or as mentioned more "sparkle" & are smoother over their freq range than the originals from my experience with them & what many others that have them describe. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation because I did indeed misunderstand. 😅 

I thought there were two types of diaphragm, aluminum and titanium 

OK,it's a whole horn 

Nice to know this. 

Next Monday my tube amp will be modified along with the caps of my filter. After this I will continue to see what I can do about mods., I put this as an option.. Thx for sharing 👍🏻

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the alum horns are very nice from the reviews ive read but they are very expensive so all comes down to budget. 

Not particularly so since you sell off the old drivers. Looking on EBay will give you good numbers on what you can expect to get and that reduces your overall cost. Tonight K-76 tweets for example are listed for a minimum of $75 each so $150 per pair assuming they sell for that.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sell my old drivers I guess

But indeed this is not very expensive 

(edit) Or do I misunderstand you and are the k-76 drivers the old drivers and is this the amount they are still worth 

Edited by Flevoman

(edit) Or do I misunderstand you and are the k-76 drivers the old drivers and is this the amount they are still worth 

yes, K76 are the original tweeters in your chorus. 

On 3/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, Flevoman said:

14 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

yes, K76 are the original tweeters in your chorus. 

nope  ........the K-79 is the original Chorus Tweeter

57 minutes ago, billybob said:

@Flevoman...I suppose you have gotten a crossover out of speaker?

If so, how about a photo of one from the side now... thanks!

I was planning to do this on Sunday. 

Since I like to listen to music every night and I don't have to hand over the tube amp and filters until Monday 

But I will definitely post the pictures here. I am also curious whether or not they are orriginal. 

Edited by Flevoman
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RandyH said:

nope  ........the K-79

Which is correct. All the older 2.5cm tweeter lenses have the same size and shape and only the motor is different and perhaps the diaphragm too. The more modern 2.5cm tweeter first appeared in the KP-301-2 if I remember right but all of them fit the same size cutout.  There are no K-79's listed right now at any price.  

11 hours ago, Flevoman said:

I am also curious whether or not they are orriginal. 

100% original,,,,,,,this picture shows an Original klipsch Chorus crossover, your crossovers  are identical

Chorus I Crossover Recap - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio  Community

• Like 1

If that is true then this would indeed mean that the caps are more than 35 years old. 

And then the chance of hearing a difference after the recap is more plausible. 😁👍🏻

(edit) I now see that from the left large silver block the screws are completely turned out. 

I think this is done so that the block can tilt so that you can pull the filter out through the back. 

This is what I'm going to try 👍🏻

Edited by Flevoman

4 hours ago, Flevoman said:

And then the chance of hearing a difference after the recap is more plausible

On this specific speaker the improvement is inevitable and often is pretty amazing in what a recap will do. I stick an Audyn 68uf cap on there and not one of those electrolytics. Just got done working on a KP-301 which is very similar where that electrolytic cap was swollen and the plastic melted off part of the side.

I would not loosen those screws as the input cup crossover might be real tight to get in and out but I have never had much trouble doing so. If you do then remove the woofer so you can tighten them back up. This is assuming they were tight when you removed them and that you loosened them for re-assembly.

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

Which is correct. All the older 2.5cm tweeter lenses have the same size and shape and only the motor is different and perhaps the diaphragm too. The more modern 2.5cm tweeter first appeared in the KP-301-2 if I remember right but all of them fit the same size cutout.  There are no K-79's listed right now at any price.  

Yes the Tractrix tweeter lens first showed up in the pro line in the "II" series; 201-II, 250-II, 301-II etc around 2000. These all started off with the shiny black Poly diaphragms until they eventually switched over to Titanium. 

I've sold several sets of the k-75, k-76 and k-79 tweeters over the years by the time you subtract seller's fees and shipping costs you can typically count on $100-$120 net in your pocket. 

22 hours ago, RandyH said:

nope  ........the K-79 is the original Chorus Tweeter

sorry if the part # was wrong, i confused daves post about K76 tweeter prices.   ........they all use the same plastic horn lens which was related to the SMAHL lens he was asking about.