Problems With my Topping PA5 Left Channel Dead on Both Inputs

jjptkd

Welp I took a trip to my Montana house this weekend / week and was excited to try out my PA5 in my living room system but looks like I'm dead in the water. Current system includes my modified / refurbished KP-301-II's powered by a refurbished Sunfire Ultimate Receiver source is my Samsung TV running Youtube and music downloaded to a hard drive. System as is sounds great I'm always impressed with how good it sounds every time I come here but sitting on an extra Sunfire TGP-III figured I'd give the little PA5 a run. 

Got everything swapped out and no sound from the left channel-- double checked all connections and still a no-go. Swapped inputs on the amp, speaker cables, inputs on the pre-amp, even swapped pre-amps since I have my brother's TGP-III sitting here and nothing. Thought it might be the XLR to TRS input cables swapped them out and nope, problem has been isolated to the left channels on the amplifier, both inputs. This thing was working when I disconnected it at my house in WA right before I left not sure what happened? 

This is probably my last trip out here until Fall so a bit frustrating I didn't get to do a comparison but oh well I guess, hopefully the amp is still under warranty I'll have to check that out I just bought this new not that long ago. 

The datasheet shows only over current faults are latched and require a toggle reset, all other faults appear to be self clearing.

That tells me to look for something on the output that is too low a load or even a short and is causing it to go into protection for that channel. Try switching the outputs left to right.

12 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Welp I took a trip to my Montana house this weekend / week and was excited to try out my PA5 in my living room system but looks like I'm dead in the water. Current system includes my modified / refurbished KP-301-II's powered by a refurbished Sunfire Ultimate Receiver source is my Samsung TV running Youtube and music downloaded to a hard drive. System as is sounds great I'm always impressed with how good it sounds every time I come here but sitting on an extra Sunfire TGP-III figured I'd give the little PA5 a run. 

Got everything swapped out and no sound from the left channel-- double checked all connections and still a no-go. Swapped inputs on the amp, speaker cables, inputs on the pre-amp, even swapped pre-amps since I have my brother's TGP-III sitting here and nothing. Thought it might be the XLR to TRS input cables swapped them out and nope, problem has been isolated to the left channels on the amplifier, both inputs. This thing was working when I disconnected it at my house in WA right before I left not sure what happened? 

This is probably my last trip out here until Fall so a bit frustrating I didn't get to do a comparison but oh well I guess, hopefully the amp is still under warranty I'll have to check that out I just bought this new not that long ago. 

Could be something as simple as a disconnected wire INSIDE the amp, between the board and the speaker terminal! 

I feel your pain,  looking forward to trying out an amp, only to find it dead in the water.  That is a Bummer. 

On another note.  I am always curious about the great state of Montana.  A country house?  Snow covered hills stretching for miles? 

18 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

The datasheet shows only over current faults are latched and require a toggle reset, all other faults appear to be self clearing.

That tells me to look for something on the output that is too low a load or even a short and is causing it to go into protection for that channel. Try switching the outputs left to right.

I had everything plugged into a power strip that was turned off until I had everything hooked up and secure, flipped everything on and sound only out of the right speaker. Double checked all connections and everything was tight. As far as trouble shooting I tried everything even swapped balanced cables the left channels are just not there. 

As far as a toggle to reset I don't see anything on the outside of the amp would that be on the inside? I'll have to take a look at it here after a bit don't want to risk voiding my warranty if there is one. 

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

I am always curious about the great state of Montana.  A country house?  Snow covered hills stretching for miles? 

I bought an investment home basically as a place for my parents to retire its on the outskirts of a small town (Ronan) about an hour north of Missoula right along the Mission mountains. I keep one of the bedrooms here for my frequent visits kind of a second home I try to come visit 5 or 6 times a year if I can. 

Ideally I'd like to have some acreage outside of town but my parents are older both with age related health problems and the weather can get a bit nasty around here so this location works out perfect for them being just a few miles from hospitals / clinics and stores. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolox said:

Could be something as simple as a disconnected wire INSIDE the amp, between the board and the speaker terminal! 

I'm going to take a look after a bit here it did not suffer any abuse in transit so not sure why its not working This thing is still basically new haven't used it all that much

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I'm going to take a look after a bit here it did not suffer any abuse in transit so not sure why its not working This thing is still basically new haven't used it all that much

So, it was working?

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

So, it was working?

Yes this amp is the first one I bought new and was using to bi-amp my speakers back home. Since I installed a subwoofer I no longer needed the extra power to my woofers so I pulled the amp out of use there to bring here and yeah it was working when I unplugged it back home. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yes this amp is the first one I bought new and was using to bi-amp my speakers back home. Since I installed a subwoofer I no longer needed the extra power to my woofers so I pulled the amp out of use there to bring here and yeah it was working when I unplugged it back home. 

Is there much of a users manual for reset/troubleshooting.

Just throwing this out.

Know you likely have covered this. Maybe just hard reboot to power?

Sorry about that.

My $0.02 Either a broken/cold solder joint. Or an actual premature failure of a electronic micro circuit. Although rare they do happen. Either one should be covered by warranty...they'll probably just send you a new one.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't find anything in the owners manual about a hard reset or anything about the error capabilities for the chips, basically whoever uses these chips has the option to go as far as they want with what the chips offer and Topping must have not used a microprocessor for any sort of error output to save on costs. You can check the voltage of the error and reset pins to see if they are low or high which will tell you something but warranty is voided if you open it up, so my advice is the same as Cranky's, send it back and get another one.

There is one thing in the owners manual I found interesting is that with most amps the speaker output - negative terminal is connected together and to common ground, the PA5 says if you happen to touch the grounds at the output severe damage can happen.

Basically if you swapped speakers and speaker cables and that channel is still dead after reversing them there must be a major fault and it's not going to reset itself. Call for a replacement unit or they may have you ship it out for repairs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rolox said:

Took it apart and checked over everything very carefully nothing appears damaged or out of place 

20220308_103413.jpg

20220308_103507.jpg

20220308_103721.jpg

20220308_103752.jpg

20220308_103842.jpg

20220308_103934.jpg

3 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

warranty is voided if you open it up, so my advice is the same as Cranky's, send it back and get another one.

The amp cover comes off quite easy 4 small Allen screws and the nut under the volume knob doubt that anyone could tell it was ever apart-- checking the Amazon order page says returns accepted up to 30 days after purchase I believe I ordered mine 2 months ago will have to dig deeper on the extent of the warranty. 

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The amp cover comes off quite easy 4 small Allen screws and the nut under the volume knob doubt that anyone could tell it was ever apart-- checking the Amazon order page says returns accepted up to 30 days after purchase I believe I ordered mine 2 months ago will have to dig deeper on the extent of the warranty. 

Can we see the bottom side of the board, under the heatsinks?

7 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Can we see the bottom side of the board, under the heatsinks?

There's a plastic cover over the bottom I did not remove for the pictures but no signs of heat or damage / cracks in the solder

20220308_103451.jpg

20220308_103445.jpg

20220308_103831.jpg