SOLD - Heresy IV pair - Woodbridge, VA - $1,600

pcbiz

• pcbiz changed the title to SOLD - Heresy IV pair - Woodbridge, VA - $1,600

I’m surprised that someone would want to sell these almost-new speakers.  Haven’t they been on sale for only a few months?  

Some people are mad traders.  In astronomical telescopes for home enthusiasts, the two main brands are Meade and Celestron.  One guy commented in an astronomy magazine that he based his choice of brand that he’d buy on the increments between sizes (sizes of the primary mirrors) of the various models.  One brand went 5”, 8”, 10”, 12”, and 14”.  The other brand skipped the 12” size, so that was no good to him, because he wanted the experience of moving up, one step at a time, and he wanted a steady progression, with no overly large leaps between sizes.

When you get into the 10” and 12” scopes, they’re pretty big by hobbyist standards, and pretty expensive, too, so this guy didn’t need to look for bargains, or even consider buying used.  Although I don’t think like that (and those values seem so skewed from what seems normal to me, who would just buy the biggest one I could afford, and get to using and enjoying it), my attitude about that is like my attitude about guys that spend more time polishing their motorbikes and bolting on more chrome accessories than they do riding them.  It’s not us guys who keep the dealers in business, it’s those guys, so I don’t even try to understand them, I just say or think, “Carry on, dude.  Whatever makes you happy.”

EDIT:  Okay, it is some of us guys who make the dealers happy, especially the lucky guys (you know who you are) who can pre-order The Jubilee.  I’m just looking forward to hearing about how they sound.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Islander said:

I’m surprised that someone would want to sell these almost-new speakers.  Haven’t they been on sale for only a few months?  

Some people are mad traders.  In astronomical telescopes for home enthusiasts, the two main brands are Meade and Celestron.  One guy commented in an astronomy magazine that he based his choice of brand that he’d buy on the increments between sizes (sizes of the primary mirrors) of the various models.  One brand went 5”, 8”, 10”, 12”, and 14”.  The other brand skipped the 12” size, so that was no good to him, because he wanted the experience of moving up, one step at a time, and he wanted a steady progression, with no overly large leaps between sizes.

When you get into the 10” and 12” scopes, they’re pretty big by hobbyist standards, and pretty expensive, too, so this guy didn’t need to look for bargains, or even consider buying used.  Although I don’t think like that (and those values seem so skewed from what seems normal to me, who would just buy the biggest one I could afford, and get to using and enjoying it), my attitude about that is like my attitude about guys that spend more time polishing their motorbikes and bolting on more chrome accessories than they do riding them.  It’s not us guys who keep the dealers in business, it’s those guys, so I don’t even try to understand them, I just say or think, “Carry on, dude.  Whatever makes you happy.”

EDIT:  Okay, it is some of us guys who make the dealers happy, especially the lucky guys (you know who you are) who can pre-order The Jubilee.  I’m just looking forward to hearing about how they sound.

True. It reminds of Fender guitars. The reason they loved Jimi Hendrix so much was because he would destroy his guitar as performance art, and then buy a new one. This was very good news for the Fender factory. The Gibson factory, a competitor, started making guitars with a weak neck for certain performers,  which allowed the guitar to be smashed with greater ease. Art!!

As far as this seller goes, I believe he is a DJ. If that is true, he would buy new speakers for a specific high end gig series, and then sell them. DJs consider it a rental. It's pretty easy if you're charging over $2,000 per appearance.

• Like 1