'New' car question... (Accord perhaps)

Coytee

With 270,000 miles on my Camry, I need to get a new car.

Been looking around, contemplating a new car (as in 2022).  Couple months ago, an old business partner of mine, son died.  I knew his son since he was in high school and later, came to work with us.  He moved to Nashville, bought a 2019 Accord Hybrid Touring (which I understand is their top version)

Today, that car new, is 41,000.  So, it's a 2019, has 15,000 miles on it, asking price is $30,000.  It's been sitting still for six months since his sons passing.  Drove it yesterday, drives totally fine (and EARILY quiet!)

Do you buy this car or, go to a lesser model BUT, new (2022) and buy the new one for the same $30,000?

I get OCD with analyzing details and am stuck on the pros/cons.

Would I buy a NEW Touring edition for 41,000?  Nope.  Frankly, I might LIKE it as it's got the sun roof and some goodies.....but in the end, a car is transportation and a depreciating asset so I'd buy a lessor model for the $30K.  To which I now think....well, for the same amount, I can get the nicer version but it's got some miles on it HOWEVER, I know the source of those miles.

Thoughts?  

My opinion (which with .99 gets you coffee at McDonalds) is to go with the 2019. Consumer Reports gives them nearly identical ratings. They also say "The Hybrid has a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and dual electric motors, which give it a phenomenal fuel-economy rating of 47 mpg overall." What's gas going for in K'ville? It's $4 in the mid-State.

The resale value of each in say 5 years, will not be significantly different and if fuel continues to rise, the 2019 may be more valuable. As for the age & mileage, it's a Honda; what's the question?

If it was truly "just transportation," you'd buy another Camry. I say if you like the Touring model, go for it. And pass the gas stations...

• Like 3

FWIW I think buying a 2 year old vehicle is probably the smartest way to go. Letting the original owner take the big hit . The hit isn't as much as it used to be but its still considerable . You do lose out on some warranty , which all you have to do is answer the phone the next time it rings and someone will be offering you one.

I personally prefer the more optioned vehicle and once you've had it a little while no one will be more impressed with a 2022 vs a 2019.I tend to drive the wheels off a vehicle so for me , the enjoyment of the additional options over 10++++ years far outways the additional cost spread out over those same years.

That being said I bought a new 2020 Duramax Chevy HD in 2019 but I really wanted the 10 speed vs 6 speed Transmission .I use it mostly for towing and it is amazing ! I started looking at used vehicles but it ended up at the time that I could go new for only about 5K more, gain a few new features and a new warranty.The market was different then.

If you buy the used one just make sure you can get your money or most of it back out of it if you decide you don't like it . This way you can move on easily , won't be as easy with a new one .

Bottom line .....Even I don't listen to me but those are my thoughts  .

• Like 2

Ok, so you are generally mirroring some of my thoughts.

Though to be clear, I would NOT buy a 2022 version of this so in my way of thinking, I'm spending $30K.....do I want 30K for a new, 2022 hybrid Accord ("normal") or do I want $30K for a 3 year old under-driven fancier version of the same car.

I do like the heads up feature, the sunroof....  BUT, I'm a convertible guy so a sunroof is also a bit frustrating for me since it's not a full drop top.  (wife's car has sunroof and I NEVER use it)

It must have been parked under a tree that spits out sap.....  the entire thing looks like it's not been washed in 20 years.  I'm hoping it's just dirt and a good wash will take it off.  If the car WAS say, 20 years old, I would instead, conclude that the paint is fading and these are splotchy spots.  Again, knowing the family, their stuff is kept in nice shape so I'm concluding it's simply dirt/junk that's accumulated on it from sitting under a tree for several months.

I appreciate the thoughts and kick in the pants.

• Like 2

The parked under a sap tree would bum me out. I am OCD on all our vehicle appearance so this is my red flag. Since you know the owner ask if you can take it somewhere for a good washing and look the paint over for acid etching of the clear coat. Honda quality or not, paint damage is paint damage. And if the clear is damaged the depreciation will be far greater. 

I going to miss the days of using 12 cents per mile as my benchmark for figuring what a vehicle should cost me over a given time frame. I haven't had to purchase anything in the past 6 years, but that same 12 cents is still holding strong for me. Just the car mind you, not the maintenance, insurance, gas, oil, repairs, etc.

On comparing narrowing down used cars with 50,000+ miles, but different years, different price tags, I created a mathematical formula that leveled the playing field, so as to reduce the stress and headache trying to determine what direction to go in. It was pretty simple, but did the trick.

Only 15k miles, to me it's a not even a question I would get the used 2019 version.

Those are nice, they have a hud system, vented seats, adaptive damping suspension, lots of goodies. With the gas prices you won't complain it's a hybrid but if you don't care about power/acceleration you're all set. It's not the HP that matters (which it has 212) it's the torque that is somewhat lacking with acceleration.

Honda CVT, or any CVT's I dislike for reliability but just replace the fluid no matter what the dealer says and I believe they made improvements on reliability. I don't follow Honda as closely as other brands.

I'm still a big BMW fan and can't drive anything else but I love cars and have driven a lot of different makes and models. Sometimes for fun I just go test drive cars.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gnote said:

You came unarmed last time we had a battle of wits ...... and now you want to try again ?

:D

33 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

Don’t worry about it , I don’t take your thoughts seriously either.

:D

6 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

Are you trying to imply that your witty?

1594691554045.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, captainbeefheart said:

Honda CVT, or any CVT's I dislike for reliability

Totally agree with this. Bought my son a 2015 Nissan Altima with 77K miles and the CVT trans in the car works, but is noisy and suspicious. I'm changing the trans fluid every 30K and hoping I can get another 77K out of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Totally agree with this. Bought my son a 2015 Nissan Altima with 77K miles and the CVT trans in the car works, but is noisy and suspicious. I'm changing the trans fluid every 30K and hoping I can get another 77K out of it.

The best transmission out there right now by far ZF 8HP, especially the newest versions made. We have the 3rd version in our X3 and it's just the smoothest shifts I have ever felt, better than any dual clutch types which were supposed to be the bees knees. Reliability is astonishing, swap fluid every 50k miles and ZF states service life is 450,000 miles. I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach a million miles honestly. They come in all kinds of makes and models, check out some of the applications they are in, from Dodge trucks to Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, Bentley, Maserati, Porsche, Audi, Land Rover..........  There are tons out there so parts or replacements are cheap. They are in a lot of Jeep and Chryslers which is licensed to make them here in the united states. They call them Torqueflite8 (850RE) in the Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler line ups.

I'll never own a CVT and if I have a say I'll always get a car with a ZF in it because it's truly an amazing transmission. People focus a lot on engines and not transmissions and that's a mistake, the transmission is large piece of the puzzle on how your car drives and how long it lives. Engine reliability in today's cars are not the issue, the transmission is often dead long before the motor goes to junk. Part of that problem is Automobile manufacturers stating zero service intervals for transmissions in the maintenance schedule often stated with a "lifetime fluid" which is complete rubbish, no fluid is a "lifetime fluid". But then again they consider the lifetime of a car ~150,000 miles which is bogus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Interesting that the ZF 8HP is in the 2012+ Dodge Charger with the 3.6L engine per that article. Not an expensive car by comparison to some of the others.

Might be the best trans in the world right now for passenger vehicles. Maybe look for a Dodge Charger or Challenger for my wife's next car.

• Like 1

I have rebuilt a GM 700R4, Turbo 350, and Turbo 400. I am in wonderment how so many seals and clutches can possibly work as well as they do. The 700R4 had 21 check balls which have to be in the right spot or it won't work.

JJK