Foam or rockwoll in la scala

SpeedLimit

1 hour ago, SpeedLimit said:

ok, i will do that ..  it's just difficult to find good foam on my little island . I will see tomorrow what i can find

I would test it with different amount and listen before you finally assemble everything. I think that too much of the foam could weaken the liveliness of the attack and the impulse. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

ok, i will do that ..  it's just difficult to find good foam on my little island . I will see tomorrow what i can find

Foam like in your first photo I have often seen in conventional enclosures which means it should work.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

I have only found like the second photo today. Here it is very hard to find anything for hi-fi...

you can use  any type of foam or insulation or AC  filtering materials  ,  the thinner , the  better 

1)- Computer -server foam , egg crate foam

2)-home insulation 

3)-AC  , air conditioning dust filter in rolls -

Stuffing (foam, fiber fill) adds "give" to the woofer's back air chamber, making the woofer think the chamber is larger than it is.  if the chamber is sized for the woofer, adding stuffing will cause a ripple in the response curve at its lower limit (though you may get a few  more Hz deeper response).  I wouldn't unless you have calculated a need for the stuffing.  My older La Scalas do not have stuffing, nor did my FH-1s with original Peavey woofers. 

• Thanks 2

Can’t remember where I read it, likely in this forum. 

It was suggested to put it on parallel sides to reduce reflections.

I tried the the white flat stuff pictured above (all I had at the time) tacked on the top AND bottom of my FH-1 bins with a couple spots of PL adhesive years ago.

As @KT88 mentioned it KILLED the liveliness. Instantly recognizable as terrible idea.

I removed the foam on the bottom and the liveliness came back.

I too think the black egg crate foam (doing a 180 around the top of the woofer) would take care of internal reflections without killing “the liveliness of the attack and impulse”.

I now have some egg crate foam for projects so I will revisit this with the FH-1s. I have two pairs of LSI Splits that would make for an “easy” comparison actually... one pair with and one without! That’s inspiring.