Foam or rockwoll in la scala

SpeedLimit

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have not seen the inside of the latest La Scala's but I will say this. If Roy is putting foam in there it is part of a whole system approach and another piece of the puzzle that includes cabinet, drivers and crossovers designed to work together. Putting foam in older LS's may or may not do the same thing. One thing that will work with all pre 1" sides is the dog house bracing. Of all potential modifications this one has the biggest return for the money spent BY FAR. You might not like the look but you will like the sound. I never let a set go from here without doing something about the side wall resonance. These will also reduce dog house resonance at the same time. I was going to say stop the resonance but there will always be some. It makes a dramatic improvement and there is a picture floating around the forum of PK doing just that. I would love to know why they were never incorporated into the design by him.

My understanding based on a conversation with Jim Hunter in the late 80s when I had a  noticeable resonance cabinet issue in one of my new then La Scala was that Klipsch was aware of the “potential” side panel resonance issue. The braces between the dog house and side panels would eliminate the “potential” resonance but due to the cosmetic changes they caused and the more labor intensive cost (because they would required custom fitting in each cabinet) along with the fact that evidently the majority of the La Scala users at that time simply didn’t notice or have an issue with the “potential” resonance issue of the side panels so basically it was believed best not to put the bracing into regular production. 

By the way Klipsch’s solution for me was an offer to give me a pair of new Belle Klipsch cabinets which do not have the potential side panel resonance issue due to its different cabinet design and materials.  Of course I took them up on the offer… 😄

miketn

• Thanks 1

LOL!  My early '80s La Scalas clearly have the "potential".  But, I rarely listen to them that loud and by the time I confirmed it, I had already had the finished and will not munk that up, now. 

Ill bet most people are like me and don't push them hard enough.

4 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Belle Klipsch cabinets which do not have the potential side panel resonance issue due to its different cabinet design and materials.

Besides being 6 inches shorter, the Klipsch Belle sides have the grill frame attachment serving as a brace. A decorative grill is something to consider for a La Scala side wall bracing mod.

19 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

My understanding based on a conversation with Jim Hunter in the late 80s when I had a  noticeable resonance cabinet issue in one of my new then La Scala was that Klipsch was aware of the “potential” side panel resonance issue. The braces between the dog house and side panels would eliminate the “potential” resonance but due to the cosmetic changes they caused and the more labor intensive cost (because they would required custom fitting in each cabinet) along with the fact that evidently the majority of the La Scala users at that time simply didn’t notice or have an issue with the “potential” resonance issue of the side panels so basically it was believed best not to put the bracing into regular production. 

By the way Klipsch’s solution for me was an offer to give me a pair of new Belle Klipsch cabinets which do not have the potential side panel resonance issue due to its different cabinet design and materials.  Of course I took them up on the offer… 😄

miketn

Hmmm, having to rethink things here. When the whole systems approach includes bean counters perhaps the best that can be expected is optimization of what they allow you to work with.

• Like 1