WTB 80 to 5y3 adapter

Limberpine

Looking to run a Type 80 rectifier in my Oliver Sayes that has 5y3 right now, so here I am seeing if anyone ahs an extra adaptor they'd like to sell before I order all the way from China.

I found a Majestic 80 globe that tests NOS at an estate sale today for $8 and then also have some ST shape 80's that I'd like to give a listen to.

Type 80 does look much better than a 5y3 and has about the same steady state current handling capabilities, and an exact match for heater current and voltage (5v at 2A).

Personally I'd just replace the socket with the 4 pin and just have the amp always run the type 80. Even if you were to sell it I am willing to bet it would sell the same or better with the stock type 80 tube installed. I am biased as I am not a fan of adapters.

Disregard if the rectifier socket is on a PCB, not worth it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

Type 80 does look much better than a 5y3 and has about the same steady state current handling capabilities, and an exact match for heater current and voltage (5v at 2A).

Personally I'd just replace the socket with the 4 pin and just have the amp always run the type 80. Even if you were to sell it I am willing to bet it would sell the same or better with the stock type 80 tube installed. I am biased as I am not a fan of adapters.

Disregard if the rectifier socket is on a PCB, not worth it.

Its not on a PCB this amp is all point to point. I haven't considered replacing the socket. How much does a good socket cost? 

I have some basic soldering skills, so I bet I could do it, so long as I don't need tools to measure it after its been replaced? 

1 minute ago, Limberpine said:

Its not on a PCB this amp is all point to point. I haven't considered replacing the socket. How much does a good socket cost? 

I have some basic soldering skills, so I bet I could do it, so long as I don't need tools to measure it after its been replaced? 

If you can solder I wouldn't hesitate to just replace the socket, you need not measure anything and if you require some assistance I will help you through wiring it up. You can get some cheaper ceramic ones from various suppliers like antique electronic supply for <$5, but I highly recommend spending a tad more and getting some higher quality ones. Here are some links to ones I would purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362903760630?hash=item547ebfeef6:g:mCIAAOSwUOJeOL8c

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363647330596?hash=item54ab11e924:g:fBQAAOSw2SRhrm-0

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Limberpine said:

Okay, I'll take you up on your help. I'll order the socket and PM you a photo of what it looks like now and we can chat about how to put the new one in when it get's here. Thank you!!

Yes, PM me a picture of the current socket and wiring before removing. Also measure the distance of the mounting holes for the current socket before ordering the 4 pin.

After the new socket comes in mount it and don't wire it up yet, send me another picture of this and I will use image editing software to make a visual instruction image.

• Thanks 1