Klipsch speaker use

Moh

What is your opinion for use of klipsch speakers. Are they best suited for playing at higher volumes to excite and "awaken" senses or  are they equally good for lower volume play for relaxation (say before bedtime).  

• Like 2

Just now, Moh said:

Where is this party you speak of..How come no one invited me !!

Don't fret. I've never been invited, either.

Seriously, they're good speakers, and as good speakers, they're fine for both of the situations that you mentioned, and everything in-between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The speakers are new. I am getting some  "S" sound at the end of words spoken by female persons. It sounds a bit unpleasant. Does this go away as the speakers break in or is this inherent in these speakers (RP5000F) 

3 hours ago, Moh said:

The speakers are new. I am getting some  "S" sound at the end of words spoken by female persons. It sounds a bit unpleasant. Does this go away as the speakers break in or is this inherent in these speakers (RP5000F) 

• Have you tried it on many recordings?  Some recordings have those "S" sounds on them that are audible on a revealing speaker.  Most Klipsch speakers are quite revealing, as opposed to speakers that veil the music.  Many do. 
  • If the speakers are close to a wall (which is fine, and may reinforce the bass) put some absorptive material on the wall(s) near the speaker.  You don't need, and shouldn't use much.  In this picture the speaker level absorber is only 2 x 4 feet and positioned where a yardstick held flat against the tweeter/midrange part of the speaker touches the side wall, and extends 2 more feet into the room.  It helped damp side wall early (too early) reflections.  This idea came from Chris A of this forum; he meant it for use with corner horns (because, since they are in a corner, a wall is 45 degrees away on both sides).  But, IMO, they won't hurt with any speaker that is near a side wall.image.png.b9702e7ac06602548a4aa584ecb1dead.png
  • Are you using Audyssey, or Dirac, EQ via REW or the like?  Properly set up (time consuming) they can help.
  • For what it's worth, I don't get "S" sounds (sibilance).
  • See this review by Steve Guttenberg  https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/klipsch-rp-5000f-a-tower-speaker-to-be-reckoned-with/  This is the sound you should be getting.
  • If the recording(s) you used had very close miking on the female singers, the sibilance could be "natural" ... put your ear about an inch from a singer's mouth, and you may hear sibilance.
  • Like 2

@Moh, assuming you have the basics of your two-channel system figured out and just purchased some new Klipsch speakers?  IF you've made it this far it's great!  Yes, you're going to hear ALL kinds of new sounds you've never heard before.  We were ALL there when we first heard Klipsch.  The fun thing is it just gets better.  :)

What did you get and what are you using in your set up?  It always helps to know so we can help ya out.  Have a pic?

Hi,

I have Klipsch RP5000F small tower,matching RP500C centre, Paradigm ADP 190 surround,  Energy 10 inch sub..I also have a Yamaha Rx-V485 receiver

I have never had speakers with horn tweeter. I have had it for about a week ..The sound keeps improving. I keep comparing it to my previous speakers as that is my only point of comparison but obviously these have a different sound that my "ears" will have to get accustomed to. 

• Like 1

Take it easy and enjoy them.  Horns are the real deal when it comes to sound.  They are very revealing but just move them around a bit to see if what you may be hearing vanishes.  They'll break in soon so just relax and enjoy.  Set your toe-in and move them a bit farther/closer to the wall since they're rear-ported.  Relax!   

Moh, 

I'm still wondering about your sibilance.

• This is NOT a curve for your speakers.  I looked around, but couldn't find one.  The Tweeter in this Klipsch RP600M is described in exactly the same way -- word for word -- as the ones in your RP5000F, i.e., "1 inch Titanium LTS vented with hybrid Tractrix horn," so they may be the same tweeter.  So, with any luck, this anechoic curve should apply to your tweeters as well (in a typical room the highest highs would be rolled off a little more due to absorption).  If you are like most people who can afford to be audiophiles, you won't be able to hear almost anything above 15,000 Hz.  That's where this curve crosses the 0 line, i.e. it is "flat" at 15K Hz, just as it is at the conventional center point of a frequency response curve, 1K Hz.  Your speakers crossover at 1,800 Hz, and from there up, this tweeter curve is extraordinarily smooth up to 15K where it crosses the line again.  It looks like about +3.5,-1.5, or +/- 2.5dB  in the tweeter range, which is very smooth for a speaker.  I can see nothing there that, on a frequency response basis, would be likely to produce sibilance.  So, maybe it's the recordings.319K600fig4
  • Is the grille removable?  If so, try it both on and off.  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes the grill is removeable. I will try with grills off. As I get used to the speakers, I am finding this effect is going away. When I got the speakers new (only a week old) , I found them to be bright so I cur out a couple of pieces of the netting we have on windows to block insects and taped between speaker cabinet infront of tweeter and behind the grill.  It might be time to take them off as the speakers "appear" less bright, less harsh and now quite smooth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, garyrc said:

I can see nothing there that, on a frequency response basis, would be likely to produce sibilance.  So, maybe it's the recordings.

Gary RC speaks true.

I have the RP-600M and as he said the speakers have identical tweeter sections.  I don't hear any sibilance but I have heard it before on other systems I listen to so I know what you're talking about.

The source definitely makes a difference.  The electronics you use makes a bigger difference as well.  There are some AVR's where you can find "theater mode."  Those curves typically roll off the HF which is what you want. 

I have a Marantz 6011 so I'm not sure what settings you need with your Yamaha.  Have you run YAPO since you've acquired the 500M's?

• Like 5

Hi,

yes, I have run the YPAO. Moving speakers a bit has pretty well gone.  I think break in period is also important but I have also turned on "enhancer" on the receiver. The sound from my TV box Youtube songs  is much better.

Edited by Moh

16 hours ago, Moh said:

I think break in period is also important but I have also turned on "enhancer" on the receiver.

The sound from my TV box Youtube songs  is much better.

At the very least it sounds as if you can now attenuate the offensive  HF sibilance.  Is the problem now corrected or do you need to do some more experimentation?

• Like 3