Cerwin Vega CVA Horn subs

Shiva

I have not bought or heard the Cerwin Vega(CV) CVA subwoofers  --- however many years ago I purchased a very limited production Cerwin Vega product known as the 320 system, which featured a combination of horns and bass reflex technology.  The 320 system included a mid range / high frequency cabinet utilizing horns augmented by a passive bass reflex subwoofer downward firing commode cabinet.    These systems played extremely loud with very low distortion and the sound was in a word - impressive.   The creator and owner of CV - Gene Czerwinski - was a  aerospace engineer who developed sound reinforcement systems for Fender, and both indoor and outdoor concerts and the home systems he designed were robust and leveraged his knowledge and experience gained from the commercial side of the business.   

His motto was "Loud is Beautiful ...if it's Clean (meaning high volume low distortion sound was his passion).    Many never saw or heard the 320 systems - most people's impression of CV were formed through their exposure to the basic floor standing cabinets containing  three way system components or the movie "Earthquake".

His 320 system was demoed against many high end audio systems at many of major audio shows throughout the states in the 1970s and his home products had a solid following.   

The 320 was expensive, large and heavy - so it's market was small - but it's performance was impressive.     Many reviewers associated the CV name with loud rock music and not much else.     

The 320 system proved otherwise.    

He sold the company off in the 1980s and in 2003 -2004 CV declared bankruptcy .    The current company uses the CV name - and does build systems that in some ways mimic the old CV. 

Edited by Guest Vahorns
  • Like 1

I used those back in the late 70’s and 80’s. We called the Scoops. I had soundstream 18” in them and they had more output and lower hz then CV drivers, but with the factory drivers or the soundstream drivers, SQ was not any good. They are more for just flat out spl

• Like 1

Like I said , I used to use them and I don’t think they would be any good for HT or even a 2 channel setup in your home. They need a ton of room to play in. And tons of clean power. I had a rehearsal warehouse with two of them. The first unit was 24’x24’
And a year later moved into a much larger space of about 2000sf. That’s when they started to really show just how loud they could get.

• Like 1