K33E square vs round magnet

mopardave

That is a very comprehensive article (!).

Would love to get a definitive answer on this one too.

My money has always been on the square magnet version, simply because it goes lower, according to other topics I have read in here over the years.

44 minutes ago, geoff. said:

That is a very comprehensive article (!).

Would love to get a definitive answer on this one too.

My money has always been on the square magnet version, simply because it goes lower, according to other topics I have read in here over the years.

I am looking to pick up a pair of woofers and looking at K33 with square magnet and or Crites 1526.  Not sure of the difference in the 1526 and the 1526C with the cast basket. Do they sound the same?

Hi Dave, I was going to suggest the Crites 1526, the steel basket. But I didn’t want to sound presumptuous. 

I have the the cast basket version in a pair of Cornscalas and they stomp all over the K-33, round or square magnet, I have both. Substantially lower response, a few hertz goes a long way down low.

I’m in Canada and the cast baskets came up domestically, so that is what I snagged first (cheap, cheap).

Once again, my understanding is the steel baskets go lower AND have another plus going for them, but it escapes what is left of my memory right now.

Another member chimed in not too long ago about the differences between the two Crites offerings and sealed the deal for me if I were going new.

24 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Hi Dave, I was going to suggest the Crites 1526, the steel basket. But I didn’t want to sound presumptuous. 

I have the the cast basket version in a pair of Cornscalas and they stomp all over the K-33, round or square magnet, I have both. Substantially lower response, a few hertz goes a long way down low.

I’m in Canada and the cast baskets came up domestically, so that is what I snagged first (cheap, cheap).

Once again, my understanding is the steel baskets go lower AND have another plus going for them, but it escapes what is left of my memory right now.

Another member chimed in not too long ago about the differences between the two Crites offerings and sealed the deal for me if I were going new.

Thanks for the insight Geoff.  Then thats what i will get.   Searching for pricing right now.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:07 PM, RandyH said:

The latest  K-33E is used in the CW IV .....  get a quote ➡️   https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us

Purchased a pair of Crites 1526 for the CornScala.  Crites says they need 5-10hr breakin.  Right out of the box they sound better than the Kappalite 3015LF.   No mistake about it, they go lower at low volume.  Very nice improvement.

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

Great  , the 1526 is a twin of a K-33E steel basket  , now the cast version is,,,,,,

I borrowed a couple of the cast 1526c woofers from a friend a couple years ago.  I thought they were too boomy in my CornScala, but its been awhile now and these stamped baskets may be same. I don't think so, i would have to try them back to back to be sure. The 1526c would be great in a Khorn thou IMHO.

2 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I borrowed a couple of the cast 1526c woofers from a friend a couple years ago.  I thought they were too boomy in my CornScala, but its been awhile now and these stamped baskets may be same. I don't think so, i would have to try them back to back to be sure. The 1526c would be great in a Khorn thou IMHO.

which means that the 1526 and 1526C  have totally different specs

On 3/13/2022 at 6:47 PM, mopardave said:

I am looking to pick up a pair of woofers and looking at K33 with square magnet and or Crites 1526.  Not sure of the difference in the 1526 and the 1526C with the cast basket. Do they sound the same?

No, they do not. I have had both square and round magnet versions. However, my square version was from the early 70's, which was a K-33 P, made by CTS of Paducah. My preference was for the square version, which were sold off in a pair of MWMs.