No tubes!

dirtmudd

42 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Rumor has it that it was bad before Friday's export ban, as the uncertainty behind Shunguang production that started two years ago still exists. Heck, I had a heck of a time just getting some JJ 6922 at the start of 2020.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/panic-on-availability-of-vacuum-tubes-mike-matthews-future-valve-amps/

JJ might be the only reliable source with appreciable quantity for some time.  That being said:

“Russian tubes are now a no-go and JJ is probably crapping sideways trying to keep up with orders. That means you’re mega-boned, right?”

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-5951#post-16859594

14 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Glad I have a ton of NOS tubes to play with and I never have to worry about getting 4,000 tubes like an amp company. Also very glad I have a ton of NOS Russian tubes i really like as we don't know when we'll have open trade with them again.

Maybe, symbolically, you should have your Russian supply destroyed, and spit on them? 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Maybe, symbolically, you should have your Russian supply destroyed, and spit on them? 

Although using tubes for target practice can be fun I tend to try and do it with dead ones. I don't blame the Russian workers and engineers that designed the stuff I have, it's just the tyrannical government with a conquer and rule mindset that cause trouble.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I loaded up this week, a quad of  JJ 6l6gc, quad of JJ EL34, 8 Nos Mullard e180f, 2 pr JJ 12ax7,  2 pair JJ 12ax7 gold , 2 pair  JJ 12au7 gold pin, JJ 12at7,  pair JJ EL84,  2 5r4gy..... I should have enough for a long time.   

I'm grateful that I loaded up on Penta Labs KT88 and Valve Art KT100 when they were $150 and $100 per matched quad respectively, I bought lots of 30 each from dealers when they would restock so I could get these in a pretty tight range and use out of those whenever I need. In addition I collected sufficient NOS that I have very few holes in my stash (12AT7s are a bit short as I never had a use for those until very recently).

I certainly did an "Oh S..." knowing what this was gonna do to tube geeks and that's a pretty tough place to be. The Russian side of tube making filled a lot of holes for a lot of people.

One thing I did was when I got my gear choices settled I stocked the hell up as to not have worries on those kind of issues.

Unless you are buying from a Soviet supplier, I don't believe buying Russian tubes that are already in this country has an impact on the current state of affairs or the Russian economy. That money has already changed hands.

While the prices may rise due to the inability to restock, I don't think we'll run out of tubes. Plenty of [pricey] NOS and inventory from other venues such as the Czech Republic, Japan and of course, China. Upscale has thousands of tubes in stock as do other retailers. I suspect audio tubes are a very small segment of the overall tube market and Ham radio operators & pro sound are many times more numerous.

Interestingly, the Russian tubes I use I usually source from the Ukraine. His post says he is currently unavailable. Strange times.

1 hour ago, michaelwjones said:

Unless you are buying from a Soviet supplier, I don't believe buying Russian tubes that are already in this country has an impact on the current state of affairs or the Russian economy. That money has already changed hands.

While the prices may rise due to the inability to restock, I don't think we'll run out of tubes. Plenty of [pricey] NOS and inventory from other venues such as the Czech Republic, Japan and of course, China. Upscale has thousands of tubes in stock as do other retailers. I suspect audio tubes are a very small segment of the overall tube market and Ham radio operators & pro sound are many times more numerous.

Interestingly, the Russian tubes I use I usually source from the Ukraine. His post says he is currently unavailable. Strange times.

Upscale does, but they’ve pulled all Russian tubes from their site.