1971 H700 gorgeous speakers... but I need help!

Audio_nut

I just scored a sweet pair of HWO H700's that are in incredibly good shape! The labels especially..lol pumped about the speakers, but they do have an issue. That is that the previous owner had them on their sides and had them laying on rubber isolaters... well, the isolaters melted🤦‍♂️ 

So now I have four little two inch circles of melted rubber/adhesive on one side of each speaker. It's only .25" or so thick, and I think it's more than likely an adhesive of some sort, and not melted rubber... but in any event, it has to come off.  What should I use? I was thinking mineral spirits.. or possibly dab on some goo gone? Appreciate the help!

20220313_005545.jpg

20220313_005323.jpg

20220313_005230.jpg

Use a cotton wash rag and a iron
Put the dry cotton rag on the spot, turn the iron on high cotton ( NO STEAM) and move the iron back and forth. The heat will let the glues and rubbers to soften and the cotton rag will wick it up.
Then use steel wool on the wood and use a sealer or what ever product you would use on your wood speakers

On 3/15/2022 at 7:02 PM, carlthess40 said:

Use a cotton wash rag and a iron
Put the dry cotton rag on the spot, turn the iron on high cotton ( NO STEAM) and move the iron back and forth. The heat will let the glues and rubbers to soften and the cotton rag will wick it up.
Then use steel wool on the wood and use a sealer or what ever product you would use on your wood speakers

Thanks man! Going to give that a try this weekend. I picked up some Watco rejuvenating oil, and some 0000 steel wool. I'll post the results in a few days.

• Like 1

I would start off with a less intense method, like with that soft cotton cloth and lemon oil for wood, or Murphy's Oil Soap.  If nothing else works, try the clothes iron.  If you do use steel wool, try to find 0000 and use light pressure.