Home theater pre pro

dtr20

I am thinking about upgrading my home theater from using my Denon AVR-x6200w receiver as a preamp/processor to a real pro/pro.  I had my eye on the Marantz AV7706, but I spoke with a dealer about it and he explained with that unit, its basically a receiver without the amp.  If I wanted a real change, I should look at the Marantz AV8805a.  Another option would be the Anthem AVM70.  Another thing he told me that concerned me was pretty much any pre/pro that is under $10k would not be true balanced XLR outputs, its basically just the same thing as the RCA outputs, but using XLR ports to look better and give the appearance of luxury.  Is this true?  Another unit I was looking at was the Monoprice Monolith HTP-1.  Specs list it as balanced outputs, now I am not sure if that is true or not.

• Like 1

A fully balanced Architecture is pricey because you would basically need two of everything inside the unit to separate the two channels... and that's for a two channel setup, not a multi channel setup. Your dealer is right.

A friend of mine runs a Yamaha pre-pro fully balanced with all the bells and whistles listed for $2700:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200_u/index.html

Edit: Looking at the Marantz it appears to have balanced outputs as well-- your dealer is claiming otherwise?

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marav7706/marantz-av7706-11.2-ch-8k-a/v-preamp-processor-w/heos/1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6OL6tnK9gIVFRDnCh3xOArrEAQYAyABEgJ9zvD_BwE

A friend of mine runs a Yamaha pre-pro fully balanced with all the bells and whistles listed for $2700:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200_u/index.html
But how do we know this uses fully balanced outputs? All the brands use balanced xlr in the marketing, but I'm being told that this is not true.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

But how do we know this uses fully balanced outputs? 

As far as I know you either have balanced or unbalanced inputs I guess there are some cheaper products out there that offer unbalanced XLR inputs. 

Balanced inputs are ideal for longer cable runs over 10ft not sure what other advantages they would have?

44 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

But how do we know this uses fully balanced outputs? All the brands use balanced xlr in the marketing, but I'm being told that this is not true.

I have 3 Yamaha Pre Pros. Two CX-A5000's and one 5200 currently in my Atmos HT. You dealer only Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. IOW, Bullshit!

The XLR outputs of the Pre Pro can reach 8 volts at the output to drive Long Balanced cables to give you the highest signal to noise ratio possible. I don't know of any RCA based, single ended output that can get beyond 2 volts. All of them have the amazing ESS Sabre DAC chips!

so you get a great DAC for stereo (same chips they used in the OPPO SE series).

If you can live without XLRs on the subwoofer out section, I have an extra CX-A5000 for sale cheap. PM me.

• Like 1

I have 3 Yamaha Pre Pros. Two CX-A5000's and one 5200 currently in my Atmos HT. You dealer only Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. IOW, Bullshit!

The XLR outputs of the Pre Pro can reach 8 volts at the output to drive Long Balanced cables to give you the highest signal to noise ratio possible. I don't know of any RCA based, single ended output that can get beyond 2 volts. All of them have the amazing ESS Sabre DAC chips!

so you get a great DAC for stereo (same chips they used in the OPPO SE series).

If you can live without XLRs on the subwoofer out section, I have an extra CX-A5000 for sale cheap. PM me.
I appreciate it, but it's too of and doesn't have atmos and dts:x which is the biggest thing I need

5 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I appreciate it, but it's too of and doesn't have atmos and dts:x which is the biggest thing I need

Then just get a CS-A5200, it's one of the very best solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have the Yamaha cxa5100, and now I have the Marantz av8805A. I really liked the Yamaha and the remote interface. The Marantz has an entirely different sound, IMO, and the remote app sucks. The 8805A has a newer ESS DAC and I really like bottom end on it better than the Yamaha cxa5100. The mids and top end are very similar, and the detail the Yamaha had was not lost when I got the 8805A. The build quality on both are very good, too. The price difference is substantially more with the Marantz, but I wanted Auro3d, and the Marantz also had more channels... so it was the best for me until I can afford a Trinnov or Storm.

If you can wait... I believe Yamaha will have the new AVP out this fall, and it will most likely have Auro3d too, since the AVRs all have it now.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I had the Yamaha Pro/Pro, and i can’t fault the performance, although, I did go through a couple of them inside the last 10 years…

It’s discontinued, or unavailable right now, so I opted to try the Marantz 7706.  Basically, in my research, for the most for the least, it topped the reviews, and did provide, in reality, a slick and easy set up, good support on how to do a customer set up.  5.2.2…. I’m pleased, it’s controls are simple, it’s a hidden installation depending on the WiFi more then front panel access.  It has not disappointed.  I am using a 7 channel Lexicon Power Amp (RCA’s, not XLR’s).  Powering several front channel set ups, and it’s been really a treat on the Forte’s for front channels and some JBL’s Synthesis LCR’s as well.  

All in all, I’m pleased with the choice.  The simplicity of set up, compatibility with the source materials generated from streaming, my NAS, and other on site sources…. Very handy.  The biggest decision driver for me was sound quality and ease of use.  My Yamaha Pre/Pro sound quality never a question, ease of use…left a lot to be desired.  The Marantz, I’m pleased to say, sound quality, second to nothing I’ve heard, but ease of use, top notch.  My wife can turn it on and drive it with the Apple TV remote…. And that was not hard to set up.  

It doesn’t address the XLR conversation above, I’m running RCA’s, because that’s what my venerable and beloved Lexicon is equipped with.  Hope the new user input helps.  Good luck.

• Like 1

years ago i ordered the 7704 and when it arrived it was the 7705         merry chrismas to me     500 dollars difference    love it

made my projector picture outstanding from what i was using. $500 receive

would love to get the 8805 series

• Like 2