"Metalic" sound

Moh

On my Klipsch RP5000F , I notice a bit of "Metalic" nature to the sound. I have a hard time describing it exactly (especially when strings are played). Has anyone else noticed this type of sound. Is it just super accurate/sharp  or do I need to fine tune an adjustment in my Yamaha RX-V485 receiver. 

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Moh said:

On my Klipsch RP5000F , I notice a bit of "Metalic" nature to the sound. I have a hard time describing it exactly (especially when strings are played). Has anyone else noticed this type of sound. Is it just super accurate/sharp  or do I need to fine tune an adjustment in my Yamaha RX-V485 receiver. 

Thanks.

it's pretty normal ----The speaker contains Twin  5.25" spun copper Cerametalliic woofers and  a 1” Titanium Tweeter ,  try to lower the HF Treble tone control

• Like 1

Klipsch are revealing speakers.  They don't gloss over poor recordings or poor sources like other speakers do.  Your ears may need time to adjust to their sound.

Musical instruments naturally have an edge to them when played live.  Klipsch speakers very accurately reproduce that.

• Like 2

Recording quality is profoundly critical with nicer speakers that reveal more from the music.

There are still some things that are difficult to record:

- massed violins playing high and loud

- large choirs singing high and loud

- piano chords that consist of many notes played hard

Some of the old methods of recording that only used two, three, or four mics from a distance avoided these problems. Modern close mic'ing with dozens of mics tends to raise this problem if the recording engineer isn't top notch.

The problem is over-modulation of multiple complex frequencies that causes a faint "chatter" or "crackling" sound (your "metallic"?).

MIC: "It's not you, it's me."

Because the source is over-modulation happening in the recording microphone itself, what happens is that of say two mics recording the instruments, the mic closest to the violins for example will over-modulate but the far mic won't, so during playback the crackle is heard coming directly from the left speaker, while the apparent location of the violins is more in set from the left. This is why it is so noticeable and annoying - the crackle artifact is displaced from the instruments' location.

This happens in both directions across the sound stage; any instrument section may overmod only the left or right mic, so the two channels playback the crackling sounds as if panned hard left and hard right. Only if the recording engineer allows both mics to be overmodded by the same instrument or section will the crackle take more central positions in the spatial sound stage imaging geometry.

It is much easier to tolerate the crackle when it is spatially superimposed on the source instrument's position by playing back in mono mode - this forces all crackles to dead center along with all other instruments, and since the crackle is fairly low level it blends and is masked by the natural sheen of loud high massed strings, vocal phase warble of choirs, and the hammer bounce buzz of pounded piano chords, along with all the rest of the clear instruments.

I’ve got a set of the RP 280f in a smaller room , probably similar sound as yours . I thought that they had a little too much on the top end for my taste and cut the treble tone control, as also mentioned by RandyH , to my ears it was very effective ,and am very happy with them overall.🤓

• Like 1

Anomalies such as these tend to be more prevalent the closer your test mike  is to the speaker , especially as you move up or down off axis, I don’t believe that he ever mentioned how close he was when he took his measurements , but they were probably made at a much closer distance  than what most people would  be  listening to them at   . I doubt that any of these discrepancy’s  will be heard as a defect in actual use .   This is in response to the above video 🤓

On 3/16/2022 at 8:53 PM, Moh said:

Thanks.

Something like bumping into a crystal chandelier maybe? If so that's poor quality digital audio. Crap in. Crap out.