Issue with LaScalas

mingham

Just got these home yesterday and they seemed fine .  Listened for several hours.  When I woke up this morning I only heard sound from one channel.  When I put the balance all the way to the quiet side and turned up the volume, I could hear a very faint signal.  While I was inspecting the connections, the sound gently ramped up to what seems to be a full signal.  The ramp up too about 5-6 seconds.  This occurred about 1-2 minutes after I powered them up.   Capacitors?

Edited by mingham

19 minutes ago, mingham said:

I doubt it.  Almost new McIntosh MA252.  Never had an issue with it before.  LaScalas are they new item in the mix.  Also very simple:  DAC->MA252->LaScalas

what caps are in the crossover?  since you checked the connections in the crossover, you might need to reflow the solder.

hanksjim1 - Thanks, will do, but I can't do it now as it is working fine.  I think I will have to turn it off and let it "cool down" for awhile.    

jcn3 - it is a stock AL crossover, I think.  No idea if the caps are original.  Soldering is not a thing I do.  Electronics/electricity are beyond me.  If it can't be plugged in, I need to farm it out.

373415337_ALX.thumb.jpg.567b77e8fc21ed5a270cfb50eb3aedac.jpg

It's hard to tell what type of connectors you're using but it looks like a short waiting to happen.  I'd recommend using bare wire or spade connectors.

Also, unscrew and tighten every screw on the crossover.  This will remove oxidation and help give a better signal path.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mingham said:

hanksjim1 - Thanks, will do, but I can't do it now as it is working fine.  I think I will have to turn it off and let it "cool down" for awhile.    

jcn3 - it is a stock AL crossover, I think.  No idea if the caps are original.  Soldering is not a thing I do.  Electronics/electricity are beyond me.  If it can't be plugged in, I need to farm it out.

373415337_ALX.thumb.jpg.567b77e8fc21ed5a270cfb50eb3aedac.jpg

I think your pin connectors are touching each other here. That will definitly cause issues. Maybe even damage the amp.

Thanks.   Will do -  The thing that seems odd is the way the volume ramped up.  That doesn't sound like a short to me.   It was very low for about 1-2 mins (almost inaudible unless volume turned all the way up), then in 5-6 seconds ramped up to full volume (luckily, I had it turned down at that point).       

42 minutes ago, mingham said:

..... -  The thing that seems odd is the way the volume ramped up.  T.......

That's why it sounds like an amplifier problem.  Will a McIntosh protection system do that? 

• Like 2