Loss of bass

toolbuddy

Bought 1978 kornerhorns with Crown pre-amp and McIntosh MC2300. Early years I used system more. Had system in storage for 5 yrs. Gave it to son-in-law. It has been sitting in his home for 3 yrs. Recently connected Sony CD player, Crown Tuner and Bluetooth reciever. Seems to play mid-range and upper but no bass. Had pre-amp and amp checked. They both meet specs. What could be wrong with speakers?

• Like 2

Let's head off the usual stampede about "needs fancy capacitors" or needing a "such and such amplifier". 

I assume the cabinets are tucked into the corners .....

1) do both cabinets show this behavior?

2) Is there any sound at all (do this with a test tone between 100 - 200 Hz)?

3) Tell us the answers first.

4) Do you or a friend have a volt meter to check whether the woofer "reads open"? The woofer would need to be disconnected from the crossover (I assume this is a Type A or AA balancing network). 

5) Later, after #1 and #2, you may need to open the hatch. Do not do this yet since the hatch is sealed with a gasket/seal/adhesive. 

My guess is that a wire to the bass bin was loose or disconnected (or mis-wired) when the cabinets were moved or stored. Is the wire to the bass bin hooked up to the crossover (correctly)? This is just a guess at this point. 

Good luck, 

-Tom

• Like 1

Tom basically covered it well and I'll echo his same analysis, double check the woofer connection to the network, even just loosening and tightening the screws to "clean up" the connection a little. The connections to the spade connector are usually well made and I don't think I have ever seen a Klipsch network with a bad connection from wire to spade connector but he actual terminal connections can become oxidized.

If you or someone you know can help you with removing the woofer wires to the network and measure resistance of the woover voice coil that will at least show the woofers have not been damaged blown open.

These speakers rely heavily on placement for bass response so keep that in mind if they are not mated well into a corner. I love Khorns but this has always made it so I cannot get them as I don't have a room for them with corners.

Good luck and keep us posted.

+1 Welcome.  Congrats on your acquisition and sorry

You'll need to investigate more.  People here will steer your investigating if you need assistance.  If you are comfortable sharing your location, someone from here may be near-enough to help as well.  We all just need more info to provide proper direction.