Lascalas - Refinish or veneer?

mingham

I asked this in another thread, but it got lost in some of the other chat, so I will repost as a new topic.  I have walnut stained birch Lascalas with a couple finish issues:  a)a big scratch on a side, does not go through veneer, and most significantly, a large water stain on the top of one.  Otherwise they are in really solid survivor condition.  a few knicks here and there, but nothing a good coat of Howard's wouldn't rectify.

I am thinking of veneering them in walnut or Australian walnut. I am an experienced woodworker/finisher and it will not look like an amateur job.  They will definitely look updated and better in the living room.  The wife will be happy.  I am a little concerned about messing with a solid original set though.  What is the general feeling here?  What is the effect on resale value?  I don't plan to flip them, but may move on some day.   I could see it hurting or helping, depending on the buyer.

Pics to follow (different device)

Answer for mine La Scalas is for sure veneering because they have too many dents.

Also I did some tests on birch staining with multiple stains and actually I don't like results. So probably I will use walnut too.

But I'm struggling with how to veneer part around horns. Probably I will veneer board edges separately from "face" like on original version. Don't like flat look like on Volti restoration.

Klipsch-Restorations-Header.jpg

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mingham said:

I am an experienced woodworker/finisher and it will not look like an amateur job.

Go for it ,  Veneered klipsch speakers fetch ---quite more money  the rare Bird is Rosewood -

1979 Klipschorns, in Brazilian Rosewood - $6500 (North Phoenix) - Alerts! -  The Klipsch Audio Community

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 12:21 PM, mingham said:

I am thinking of veneering them in walnut or Australian walnut. I am an experienced woodworker/finisher and it will not look like an amateur job.  They will definitely look updated and better in the living room.  The wife will be happy.

You listed four really good reasons to veneer your speakers. I vote yes. 🙂

• Like 2

• 4 months later...