Western Electric wants to know if you want them to make tubes other than the 300B

michaelwjones

Then there's the price point.  How much would one be willing to spend on a match pair of, say 7591s? 80USD? My guess is the new WE will come in closer to 300USD.  So 600USD for your Scott 299C. 

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new amp build based on the Citation II.  That will not happen.  Anyone interested in buying a tube amp should think long and hard about that purchase, you might be stuck waiting for 2 or 3 years before your EL34s or KT88s are readily available.

I asked for 274b, 350b, 437a and 417a............... pipe dream, most of them. My guess is that they will try to fill the "guitar" amp tube vacuum. 12_ _7's and a power tube of some sort, unfortunately, probably not the 350b. :(

Anything would be welcome. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

So in your experience it takes only six months to design, build and begin manufacturing of a new tube line?

No, I don't expect a new tube line manufacturing tubes in 6 months.  But I would expect some feedback by now, what are they doing?  What's the down-select? What tube or tubes are planned? What's the date of first issue?  What's the cost? 

This isn't hard, J&J has already identified the popular tubes.

3 hours ago, John Warren said:

But I would expect some feedback by now, what are they doing?  What's the down-select? What tube or tubes are planned? What's the date of first issue?  What's the cost? 

Not that the web is a great place to gather information, but there is some anecdotal posting on Hoffman's forum that WE has some 6SN7s out for beta testing.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/western-electric-6sn7-and-more-news-update.1150919/

I agree with your comment re: pricing. EAT was getting several hundred dollars per signal tube recently and about $800 for a KT88.

At least the post seems to have a new WE amp release correct.

There's a tech with a shop on the bottom floor of the WE office building in Rossville. He worked on my Welborne Labs 2a3 amps back when I still had them He had a prototype WE 2A3 SET on a largish PCB. It wasn't in a case... soundex ok but it wasn't in a listening room.

The manufacturing is a few blocks away.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KT88 said:

What is the US equivalent of a KT66. The GEC is the benchmark. I would like to see some good ones by WE for my Quad II amps

6L6 is the closest.

Not always a direct replacement since the KT66 draws about 50% more filament current.

Have you tried the current production Gold Lion KT66s?

Edited by 82 Cornwalls