Cornwalls and bass trap

Rohit

Hello,

I am new here though I have been lurking in the forums for sometime.

I am finally about to get Klipsch Cornwall IV. To give you some idea, I have wanted these since I was 18 in India.

I can finally afford it, so you can imagine my excitement.

It is going to go in my room which is 16 x 23 x 8 on the short wall. (Unfortunately I don't have option to place it on long wall so that is just out)

I had one question. How are people handling these speakers with room treatment?

If these speaker are to be placed in corner then what about corner bass traps?

And if I place it on the wall just beside corner base trap, is it a good idea to place absorption / diffusion right behind it like we do with other speaker?

I am sorry if this question has been handled before. I have searched but could not hand an answer.

Thanks,

Rohit

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, Rohit said:

Hello,

I am finally about to get Klipsch Cornwall IV. To give you some idea, I have wanted these since I was 18 in India.

It is going to go in my room which is 16 x 23 x 8 on the short wall. (Unfortunately I don't have option to place it on long wall so that is just out)

And if I place it on the wall just beside corner base trap, is it a good idea to place absorption / diffusion right behind it like we do with other speaker?

I am sorry if this question has been handled before. I have searched but could not hand an answer.

Thanks,

Rohit

i found that with the cornwalls in the corners, bass traps weren't helpful and sounded better with them removed.  putting them in the corners also reduces the effect of first reflections (e.g. off the left wall for the left speaker).  i thought that absorption on the sidewalls helped, but wasn't as significant as with "normal" speakers placed further out into the room.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rohit said:

@jcn3 Thanks for the reply.

That is interesting. I will try that. I have bass traps on my front wall currently. I guess I can move those to back (my back) wall.

Did you at all try diffusers between the speakers?

No, I didn't try diffusers - I've got a window there so don't want to block it. 

With a speaker this large your room dimensions may work out for the better anyway. Being on the short wall you  have the potential to be farther back from them. Congrats and enjoy. Would be nice to see some photos when they are set up.

I would not worry so much about Cornwall IV placement or bass traps or diffusers or sound  absorption for the moment , the Cornwall IV can be placed in a variety of positions , including corners ,   once you'll get the speakers , you'll spend a certain amount of time trying various options and in the  end , you will find the sweet spot you're looking for with the traps and diffusers etc ,  we all do .

On 3/24/2022 at 2:33 PM, Rohit said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Rohit

It would be a serious mistake to discount room treatment and placement.  Sound absorption, furniture, reflective surfaces all play a part in a good sounding room.  There is a lot of discussion on these issues in the architectural part of this forum and elsewhere.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

So a small update. Cornwalls are in the HOUSE!!!

I was lucky enough to get demo unit which was very new. Just about 10-20 hours play time. However the dealer gave me 25% discount!!!!

I have been breaking them in for past week. Here is what I have observed:

1. The sound difference from 10-20 hours to 75 hours was very noticeable.

2. After 100 to 250 hours I could not make out that much difference.

3. At about 250 hours yesterday I did notice difference. It is sounding much better. Mainly I can make out that bass has cleaned up a lot. I do understand it could be just me  getting used to the sound. So not a scientific statement here.

4. I still have 6 months wait before I get my Decware Torri Jr so currently I am using Willsenton R8. I am amazed by the sound. I wonder how much better Decware be? And yes I do understand Willsenton is not neutral sound.

5. Next year I do want to add a non tube amp. I am not sure what pairs well. Maybe PassLabs INT25?

As for placement and sound absorption:

1.  I have similar experience as @jcn3 . It sounded better without bass trap.

2. Its toed in to cross a foot or two behind me. Just to my shoulders.

3. I tried it with 45 degree toe in. Sound was interesting and holographic but my preference is the way it is now.

4. I do have absorption on my first reflection point on side wall and ceiling. Corner Bass traps have moved behind me. The corner bass straps are absorber diffuser type from Gik https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/corner-ct-alpha-bass-trap-absorber-diffusor/

Right now things are sounding the best they have. However...... everyone in the house is annoyed with me. Dog thinks I am neglecting her. Wife is sick of hearing Jazz radio play from morning to night every day as I break in speaker. But I have a smile on my face....which does not help lol.

I don't think I am done experimenting yet. I will report back in case I make any change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations!

Corners weren't a choice for me as far as speaker placement.  I played with speaker placement for a long time trying to get the peaks and nulls on the low end to even out as much as possible.  I have absorption on the sides but much preferred diffusion to absorption on the front (between speakers).  Absorption deadened the sound with just a single much less a couple of 2"x2'x4' panels on the wall.  I now actually have a single tube trap with diffusion panel pointed forward and placed in the center somewhat even with the rear of the  speakers.  I can pull it forward and back to "focus" the sound stage somewhat... pretty cool results.  

• Like 1

Try diffusers! I recently acquired some and they do WONDERS for my room. The ones I have are made of polystyrene, are light and cheap but very effective. Efficiently cleans up the sound and give a sense of space and "beauty" to the acoustics, it's hard to explain.

Congratulations on a very nice pair of speakers.  Very interesting to hear about various approaches to room treatment.

I use six 16" tube traps for my room 20 x 21' .  As muel mentioned, a tube trap with diffuser placed center will greatly enhance your center image.

6 hours ago, Racer X said:

Congratulations on a very nice pair of speakers.  Very interesting to hear about various approaches to room treatment.

I use six 16" tube traps for my room 20 x 21' .  As muel mentioned, a tube trap with diffuser placed center will greatly enhance your center image.

I have similar… 1 tube trap in each corner, 1 at each first side reflection point, and 1 center of front wall pulled out a bit.  I’m considering more diffusion at the front wall.  I have some absorption on the ceiling due to the cathedral ceiling causing some issue.  
I’m glad I’m not buying those new today!  They do a nice job but painful for the wallet.  

I found that absorption or to much absorption (certainly you need some) killed the mid bass response and made the presentation lifeless and somewhat dull. I try and limit the absorption to the first reflection and rear wall points in my room... I like a more active room as opposed to a completely dead room.

I've never personally tried XYZ corner absorption.

I also found that diffusion on the front wall extremely helpful in making the image clear and more poignant.

Congratulations on your new speakers... enjoy them immensely.

I am 350 hours in on breaking the speakers.

At this point I cannot tell if the change in sound is due to break in or because of changes I have made.

Since my last post I have removed everything from between the speakers and placed two 24 X 48 diffusers.

This has made amazing difference. Soundstage is better and I think music has opened up.

Bass is tight and precise but not boomy.

This weekend I am going to try and push the speaker towards corners and see at what point do I feel the bass is too much or boomy.

I think at this point I am just experimenting for fun. The sound I am getting is fantastic. I cannot wait to get the Decware in October!

Today I added the cork/rubber sandwiches to the speakers at each bottom corner, it completely transformed the sound. The sound got more detailed and the bass is better then ever. I use to have the speakers on felt pads made for furniture before this, its all coming together, this is one amazing speaker. Addicted to listening to the music.