Open Baffle Speakers

Joe Carter

I tried OB, sort of...with my K402MEHs. I say sorta, because I did not get specific woofers designed for OB, but used Kappa 15C woofers. I decided to make cabinets because I wanted more bottom end. The bass is quite a bit different as I recall, and with the correct OB woofers I might have very well left them cabinetless. Sorry I am not more help...if you have the room to space the speakers out from the walls and have the correct speakers they can be excellent speakers.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I attended AXPONA 2023 and the speakers that impressed me the most were an open baffle design from Pure Audio Project. There were other speakers that sounded better, but not at the price point. I would love to hear a pair in my own listening space to see if I'm as impressed.

In case you're interested in DIY options, here is a link I found interesting.  https://abxaudiophiles.org/abx-baffles

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CWelsh said:

the speakers that impressed me the most were an open baffle design from Pure Audio Project

I had Khorns for 14+ years with various "improvements" like High-Zoot crossovers, also had Chorus/Heresy/Forte II/Heresy II/La Scala LSI/KG-4/etc.

Once in a very great while I miss the though of my Khorns sweet spot, it passes quickly.

Pure Audio Project is the real deal. You owe it to yourself to give them a listen. I was on the fence with their horn center baffle. I recently passed on a pair on US Audio Mart. Kind of regret it just to see how they might give the "horn thing" along with open baffle. Some day, maybe.

From This:

KhornOnly.thumb.jpg.4ee1f2bf05226f1be87d84c809976ecb.jpg

To This and don't think I'll ever go back to box speakers:

PaP.thumb.jpg.4e97db5925258ff3b5f5872e87115e77.jpg

These are with an older set of center baffles/drivers Audio Nirvana. They currently have a set of Voxativ AC-1.6

They work great with HT too! Here you can see the Vox drives (white cones not black)

PAPVox.thumb.jpg.5b347f2fd795386ff35ddc06c65b3f2c.jpg

• Like 2

I think they are a flawed design, because the size of the baffle limits the largest wavelength they can reproduce.  Then, you get into the Blose reflected sound "stuff", stealing focus.  Maggie's have a certain sound about them, but bass isn't it. 

Better to use the rear wave/pressure to augment low bass output. 

All speakers types have their shortcomings.

I have heard many open baffle speakers that have no problem with focus or bass.

IME/O open baffle sound their best 5 or 6 feet from the front wall, of course not all rooms can accommodate that (at least as a permanent spot).

On 2/9/2024 at 2:06 PM, JohnA said:

I think they are a flawed design, because the size of the baffle limits the largest wavelength they can reproduce.  Then, you get into the Blose reflected sound "stuff", stealing focus.  Maggie's have a certain sound about them, but bass isn't it. 

Better to use the rear wave/pressure to augment low bass output. 

23 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I find the lack of Base reinforcement underwhelming

The Music was not kix d on that kind of Speaker. ,🙄

20 hours ago, Idontknow said:

In order to perform better, subs are needed with OB's.

Seems that I see a lot of people insisting that most Klipsch models need subs as well.

• Like 1