Looking for a power amp for my Hersey III's

Mattyboo

Hello. I bought a pair of Hersey 3's a while back and I am trying to find a good sounding power-amp to drive them. I have an old school Carver C-1 pre-amp I picked up on ebay . I have a pair of Parasound 2125 V2 amps that I use to drive a pair of old Infinitys; but I don't like the way the Parasounds sound on my Hersey's. I hear NAD's sound good with Klipsch. Any advice? I would definatly consider an older amp that can be picked up on Ebay used.

I guess it depends on whether you want to stay with solid state or try tubes with them.  On the tube side, I would highly recommend a RESTORED Fisher 500C, or a RESTORED Scott integrated like an LK-72 or 299B/C.  They all sound great with H3s.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 8:48 PM, Mattyboo said:

Hello. I bought a pair of Hersey 3's a while back and I am trying to find a good sounding power-amp to drive them.

Yamaha A-S series 1100 or 1200  integrated  , reliable for 25-30 years .  exceptional sound quality , if budget is lower A-S1000    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 001 said:

f budget is lower A-S1000   or lower will do , but power output will be lower

I will assure you that the Yamaha A-S1000's "90w/ch@8ohms,140w/ch@4ohms" is plenty of power.  Demoed it with my RF-63s in my 5000 cu ft room and was blown away with the dynamics and punch.  Also, not any spec'd power difference between the 1000, 1100, 1200, at 8ohms, but at 4ohms, the 1100 and 1200 squeeze out another 10w at 150w/ch. 

With all that said, I second that any of the 1000 series Yamaha A-S integrated amps would be great choices.

Bill

• Like 1

Thank you all!! 

On 3/26/2022 at 5:44 AM, ricktate said:

Just get HK 430.630,730 receiver or old pioneer receiver, Or tube ST70 dynaco rebuilt of course. The bad sound your getting could be the old preamp. Remember poop in Klipsch you get poop out..lol

On 3/26/2022 at 3:44 AM, willland said:

I will assure you that the Yamaha A-S1000's "90w/ch@8ohms,140w/ch@4ohms" is plenty of power.  Demoed it with my RF-63s in my 5000 cu ft room and was blown away with the dynamics and punch.  Also, not any spec'd power difference between the 1000, 1100, 1200, at 8ohms, but at 4ohms, the 1100 and 1200 squeeze out another 10w at 150w/ch. 

With all that said, I second that any of the 1000 series Yamaha A-S integrated amps would be great choices.

Bill

Thank you Bill!!

On 3/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, jimjimbo said:

I guess it depends on whether you want to stay with solid state or try tubes with them.  On the tube side, I would highly recommend a RESTORED Fisher 500C, or a RESTORED Scott integrated like an LK-72 or 299B/C.  They all sound great with H3s.

I actually bought a pair of Mistral Integrated amps. They are rated at 35 WPC running EL-34's in ultra-linier. I bi-amped both amps and used an active crossover from a company named Rolls ($99 on Amazon). The amps were underwarranty and one day while I was listening I saw sparks, I emailed the seller, the seller told me to buy a soldier gun and fix 

9 hours ago, Mattyboo said:

Thank you all!! 

Thank you Bill!!

Yeah the preamp never crossed my mind. IDK I just don't think the Parasound's are a good fit. I bought them because they were on sale (same with the Heresey's). After reading some reviews; a lot of people have said that the Parasound's do well with Definitive Technology and B&W.

Back in the day (1997ish) I had a pair of Klipsch KLF-10's with a Kenwood integrated amp that I inherieted from my parents after they decided to get a smaller system. It sounded really good, but the Kenwood did not go below 40 Hz. My buddy had a Pioneer receiver and we hooked them to my old Klipsch's and the Pioneer did sound noticeably better going down lower than 40 Hz. Also, I had a buddy that had a Sony Receiver and this Sony sounded AMAZING!! LOL I was living at my parents place when we were messing around with the Sony so I only cranked it for a minute. We played the Pioneer/Klipsch at a wedding reception so we cranked it. I had many people say "those are killer speakers" referring to the KLF 10's

I think the moral of my story is not to just but equipment because it's on sale. But I say I am older and have a little more money to put towards this hobby; so its all good!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2022 at 2:32 PM, stoka said:

Hey Matty, congratulation's on the nice speakers!

What you don't like about your Prasound's sound signature?

Sorry I did not reply to this one Stoka. This may sound strange because Klipsch has a rep for being such a bright speaker, but to me the Parasound's sound signature was too warm and bassey; as in not enough bright enough for my taste. What I did was buy a used refurbished Rotel preamp; and that really brightened things up. It now sounds way better compared to the Carver preamp. I probably should have spent more money on my power amps and went with the Parasound Halo series. The Parasound 2125 reviews with criticism say they are "not musical" and a better fit for home theatre.

• Like 1