Reproducing strings

VDS

I like the very easy to use and subtle but effective Tone Control of my Quad 34 Preamp. It was unique in its time 35 years ago and called „Tilt“. Only one knob in needed to turn the whole frequency bad around a point at 800 Hz. The effect is that sharpness in strings can give way, that the whole timbre and atmosphere of a recording can be adjusted without the recording being "torn apart" by too steep filters, for example.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/quad/34-preamplifier.htm#tone

• Like 2

While listening to some “violin” music last night I remembered another aspect to this subject.   (Anne-Sophie Mutter, London Symphony Orchestra, Valery Gergiev conducting Bach, Violin Concertos & Gubaidulina, In tempus praesens /Deutsch Gramophone)

A while back Chris A. mentioned something about all recordings seem to have their own “natural” playback level where it sounds best. I couldn’t agree more with Chris on this one.

Personally, I’ve found a very wide range in recording reference level in commercial recordings. This difference can easily be as much as 20dB, or more. If the violins sound strident, try turning it down to a level where the violins (or the offending sound) no longer sound strident.

Remember also, the more you turn up the volume, the more the room gets involved. The room’s acoustic properties can contribute to certain instruments/voices sounding strident.

The main problem for most people when turning the volume down is that the nuances or fullness of quieter passages can get lost, because they are near or below the ambient noise level of the room. Turn it up, it’s too loud/strident on the loud parts.

Consider the conditions most of us listen in. The typical home has an ambient noise level of about 55dB. Outside at my home the SPL is typically 65dB to 70dB or more (C weighted, calibrated). My listening room is around 30dB, lower if I temporarily turn off all appliances, HVAC, etc.

IMHO, we don’t really need the full dynamic range of a live performance in the relatively small acoustic spaces we listen in. The room gets involved too much. Much more than, and in a very different way, than the actual concert hall does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Any progress reports or pictures?

New cabinets are smaller volume, basically enough to fit horn/ drivers into. Better bracing and 2 layers with green acoustic goo in between. Bass is much more articulate, but just as deep (30-35hz) as old bigger boxes.

much better coverage with 90 degree horizontal dispersion. Soundstage is not that good, but I’ve got to work on room acoustics , so we’ll see if I can improve that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Did the new cabinets help with your original concern about the sound of violins and cellos?

Not really… sound is still kind of 1 dimensional, all strings, not much body.  

3 minutes ago, VDS said:

Thinking of trying Tannoy…

I am also playing a lot with the Xilica active networks. I’m thinking the right EQ curve, ( not flat) may be the solution

On 5/2/2022 at 7:16 PM, VDS said:

Thinking of trying Tannoy…

Try them, my Tannoy Canterbury is not the holy grail for strings. Try BBC designs like Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 if you want a real string tone.

Just now, Khornukopia said:

I don't know the details of your equipment or DSP settings but, I have to guess that some little thing (phase, maybe?) is causing your condition.

Well, yes, designing a frequency response curve with PEQ and designing the crossover slopes and placement is a near endless hole.

I personally think the strings sound great on my CW IV, I listen to cello and violin quite often. Hold my beer I will make a cell phone recording...(with the mic pointing to the side out into my living room/kitchen area mind you LMAO), but it is still fun to do.

I will have to do it another time, we are getting ready for mothers day lunch and its noisy as heck. But yea they sound find to me, I compared them with a pair of KEF R11 and I much prefer the strings on the CW IV, they sound right to me, with the body you  are looking for, but also with great detail. 

Youtube keeps copy right claiming my videos too so no luck. Good luck anyways.