Cornwall IV vs KLF 20s?

I really like my KLF 20s and plan to keep  them forever but I just keep coming back to the Cornwall.  I've never heard any heritage speakers and have long wondered how the Cornwall would sounds compared to my KLF 20s.  Now that the IV is out and has received universal praise for being an improvement on earlier models I'm really intrigued.  Of all the heritage speakers the massive Cornwalls appeal to me the most aesthetically. Who has heard these vs KLFs, CFs or RF 7s?  How do you like the Cornwall IVs?  I could move my 20s to the home theater and sell my RF3s.  I listen to all types of music from classic rock including the harder ones like Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Led Zepplin to 80s pop to Electronic to rap to bluegrass and acoustic.  

Thanks

Jon

1 hour ago, Klipschtastic said:

I really like my KLF 20s and plan to keep  them forever but I just keep coming back to the Cornwall.  I've never heard any heritage speakers and have long wondered how the Cornwall would sounds compared to my KLF 20s.  Now that the IV is out and has received universal praise for being an improvement on earlier models I'm really intrigued.  Of all the heritage speakers the massive Cornwalls appeal to me the most aesthetically. Who has heard these vs KLFs, CFs or RF 7s?  How do you like the Cornwall IVs?  I could move my 20s to the home theater and sell my RF3s.  I listen to all types of music from classic rock including the harder ones like Black Sabbath, AC/DC and Led Zepplin to 80s pop to Electronic to rap to bluegrass and acoustic.  

Thanks

Jon

i can't speak for the other models, but the cornwall ivs are fantastic.  their speed and dynamics are really impressive and the sound is comparable with speakers that cost multiples of the cornwalls.

From my experience with Forte's/RF-7's and classic rock/heavy metal, they perform great.  The Forte's/RF-7's dig deeper than the Cornwalls but the Cornwalls have a wider soundstage that doesn't go well with the type of music that I listen to.

If you have a chance to listen to Cornwalls/Forte's/RF-7's locally then you can decide for yourself.  I suggest listening to them at the volume levels that you would at home.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, Klipschtastic said:

I really like my KLF 20s and plan to keep  them forever but I just keep coming back to the Cornwall.  I've never heard any heritage speakers and have long wondered how the Cornwall would sounds compared to my KLF 20s.

KLF -20  are closer to the Epic CF-3  speaker or the Forte III  , The Cornwall IV  is a big speaker with huge soundstage  ,and  a much bigger footprint .

I've heard the KLF20's numerous time and have a video of their bass effects here for others interested to get an idea. I recently listened to the Cornwall 1,2's using some of the original high quality parts with a vertical midrange and although many are sold on the IV, I still think they represent a great idea on what you could expect. To me, the KLF20's are nice for music, but I'm sure even nicer for home theater stuff because they have a huge soundstage and huge bass. You do not need subs with the KLF20's. Their bass is absurd and you can hear it for yourself in this video with a pair of earbuds to get an adea. The thing with the Cornwall's is that they too have a huge soundstage but their bass is so much more musical in the sense that it's not boomy. Instead, they are tight, quick and fast and if stereo is what you are interested in, I'd definitely prefer the Cornwall's but I absolutely can not stand some of the fanboy posts in these threads where people just flat out post Cornwall IV IV IV IV without context and it continuously happens all the time in these forums. For example, the size of the room is a huge factor and I could listen to Heresy's all day in a small room compared to a Cornwall because IMO, you need to get a bit of distance away from them to take in their full impact. Anyway if it's stereo, Cornwalls all day because I just find the KLF's to be just a bit too boomy and overwhelming in the bass department and they have a sort of boxy resonating ring to them. This is why I prefer the Heresy's over the KLF20's even though the KLF's have more bass and a bigger soundstage. They're just not as musical compared to the smaller Heresy's for jazz or the Cornwall's for that matter. 

• Like 3

If you are alluding to me as being a “fanboy” I will address it.

Nowhere in my post did I say the CW IV was better than the KLF20s since I haven’t heard them. I did say the Cornwalls were excellent for the type of music the OP listens to.  No, they are not the answer for everyone, and even I have moved on. But they are great at what they do. For home theater I’d probably look elsewhere. But for music, they are hard to beat in their price range.

I usually don’t do blanket recommendations without taking into account all the particulars. But the Cornwall will usually get the job done if someone has the room for them.

That was not directed at you btw and if it came across that way, I apologize. But, I will say that the major issue with these klipsch forums is they fail miserably to help others get constructive feedback which is why I’ve seldom posted questions for assistance because you can hardly get anything constructive. For example whenever you try to ask what the difference is between this speaker vs that speaker you just get blanket statements like the IV without any constructive content as to why or any context. That’s fanboy chatter as far as I’m concerned. If you google who the best drummer is you always get these stupid comments that John Bonham is. I guarantee if you asked these fanboys why he’s a better drummer, they would have no idea specifically why or what he does differently that other drummers couldn’t do. They would fail miserably. 

If I ask what’s a better speaker, the Cornwall or the Heresy, everyone will say the Cornwall without any regard to the listening room size or position of the listener. In theory one might think the Cornwall is better but it’s unfortunate that so many are so quick to answer without asking questions about the listeners situation first in order to provide a constructive answer.  I’ve struggled for literally years to find a pair of mint Forte 1’s without success. Every single pair was either banged up with cup rings on top or had pushed-in drivers. What is it with these cup rings anyway? Was every klipsch owner a party animal? Let’s make sure we add some cup stain rings so we fit in guys.

Finally last week I said screw it and ordered a pair of Forte 1’s from Klipsch Restorations for $2750 shipped. Not the II, not the III, not the IV. What?...!!!!! You can get a a pair of Forte’s for $500 online! Yea right! Good luck. Did anyone ever consider that for my listening room a forte 1 fully restored to practically brand new is still less than a Heresy IV? Why a Forte 1?  Because despite that huge 15” passive radiator that everyone goes goo-goo gaga over, all the later versions ironically don’t go as low as the Forte one, especially at lower listening levels. The 1 is better than all this overly marketed, over priced new stuff. 

I couldn’t get any constructive help from these forums, why? Because it’s just this same crap all day long. IV IV IV IV. In a few years it’ll be V V V V V.  This here is an example of a constructive and helpful, honest review.

https://audiomods.datsunzgarage.us/forte/

My 2 cents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

the major issue with these klipsch forums is they fail miserably to help others get constructive feedback whenever you try to ask what the difference is between this speaker vs that speaker you just get blanket statements like the IV without any constructive content as to why or any context. If I ask what’s a better speaker, the Cornwall or the Heresy, everyone will say the Cornwall without any regard to the listening room size or position of the listener. 

The 1 is better than all this overly marketed, over priced new stuff. 

Pot meet kettle..

• Like 5

I have klf30s and have heard them in a 2 channel setup as well as home theater. In my setup, I feel like they did better in home theater. I've heard Cornwall IV at a dealer with very good equipment driving them and they sound absolutely amazing for music.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, Idontknow said:

That was not directed at you btw and if it came across that way, I apologize. But, I will say that the major issue with these klipsch forums is they fail miserably to help others get constructive feedback which is why I’ve seldom posted questions for assistance because you can hardly get anything constructive. For example whenever you try to ask what the difference is between this speaker vs that speaker you just get blanket statements like the IV without any constructive content as to why or any context. That’s fanboy chatter as far as I’m concerned. If you google who the best drummer is you always get these stupid comments that John Bonham is. I guarantee if you asked these fanboys why he’s a better drummer, they would have no idea specifically why or what he does differently that other drummers couldn’t do. They would fail miserably. 

If I ask what’s a better speaker, the Cornwall or the Heresy, everyone will say the Cornwall without any regard to the listening room size or position of the listener. In theory one might think the Cornwall is better but it’s unfortunate that so many are so quick to answer without asking questions about the listeners situation first in order to provide a constructive answer.  I’ve struggled for literally years to find a pair of mint Forte 1’s without success. Every single pair was either banged up with cup rings on top or had pushed-in drivers. What is it with these cup rings anyway? Was every klipsch owner a party animal? Let’s make sure we add some cup stain rings so we fit in guys.

Finally last week I said screw it and ordered a pair of Forte 1’s from Klipsch Restorations for $2750 shipped. Not the II, not the III, not the IV. What?...!!!!! You can get a a pair of Forte’s for $500 online! Yea right! Good luck. Did anyone ever consider that for my listening room a forte 1 fully restored to practically brand new is still less than a Heresy IV? Why a Forte 1?  Because despite that huge 15” passive radiator that everyone goes goo-goo gaga over, all the later versions ironically don’t go as low as the Forte one, especially at lower listening levels. The 1 is better than all this overly marketed, over priced new stuff. 

I couldn’t get any constructive help from these forums, why? Because it’s just this same crap all day long. IV IV IV IV. In a few years it’ll be V V V V V.  This here is an example of a constructive and helpful, honest review.

My 2 cents. 

What makes that site any more credible than anyone here? It sounds like you just found a guy who told you what you wanted to hear. Plus that dude hasn't even got his hands on a Forte IV or Forte III...

And the Forte I may have deeper bass than a Forte IV on a spec sheet from 1985, but testing proves otherwise. The Forte IV has some of the deepest bass of any Klipsch speaker ever made. Deeper than the Cornwall even. 

Forte IV           38Hz     –   20kHz        116   dB Continuous              99dB @ 2.83V / 1m ,

Cornwall IV     34 Hz  -  20 kHz.     119 dB Continuous.  102 dB @ 2.83 V / 1 m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

Forte IV           38Hz     –   20kHz        116   dB Continuous              99dB @ 2.83V / 1m ,

Cornwall IV     34 Hz  -  20 kHz.     119 dB Continuous.  102 dB @ 2.83 V / 1 m.

I own CWIV and have never heard Forte IV, but I feel like most people who have heard both usually say the FIV seems to have deeper or more impactful bass? I dunno but I do know CWIV has amazing bass. I was using a pair of subs for a while but not much anymore. CWIV and a decent integrated is all one needs for two-channel music bliss. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, Idontknow said:

What is it with these cup rings anyway? Was every klipsch owner a party animal? 

They are just a dust cover and do not contribute to the sound. Kids are most likely the culprit. Easily replaced. Lot of truth in what you said. I am happy with just a pair of bookshelf speakers in my bedroom. Big speakers there would just be a waste. 

I think I may have already answered your question on the Klipsch Owners Facebook group, but I'll post my answer here anyway for completeness.  I currently own KLF-20 and 30. I've also heard the Cornwall IV several times. The first time was when I was in Hope in 2019 for the Chief Bonehead's Speaker Deep Dive, where Roy Delgado himself put on Cornwall IV and Heresy IV demos for us in the Klipsch lab listening room. The second time was last October in Hope for JubFest when they had a pair set up at the Klipsch Museum Visitors Center. The Cornwall IV are definitely better than the KLFs. They are much more integrated, refined, and accurate. The off-axis response within the horn coverage pattern is also much more uniform over the entire frequency range. The only reason I don't own a pair is because I already have a house full of Palladium series speakers. However, the Cornwall IV are so good that they might give my Palladiums a run for their money.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, Idontknow said:

My 2 cents. 

The CWIV is a better speaker, even in a smallish room. I had a full afternoon demo with Cornwall IV as a BEDROOM SYSTEM and I can still say they are the best value speakers available today. PERIOD. they really are fantastic and don't need a room the size of an airport to work well, contrary to common beliefs.

As for the Forte 1... well, there's more to a speaker sound than just "how low the bass goes". Midrange natural and clarity, depth of image, transparency, micro details, all those areas where the Forte IV will TROUNCE any Forte 1, no matter how upgraded / restored it is. Call it overpriced marketing hype if you like, but you're wrong, the last generation Heritage is much better than ALL previous iterations, it's a fact, not a preference.

Rant over.