Cornwall IV vs KLF 20s?

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

If you're comparing the low end response of the newer forte's (III & IV) to the older versions it wasn't the passive that changed the tuning it was the new woofer. Klipsch had a lot of problems with the original forte woofer (k-23) they would burn up and they'd get a lot of returns, they tried to fix that in the forte II with a vented voice-coil (k-25) but still had issues. The new woofer is more rugged but not as well suited for the low frequencies. 

Do you know what the design changes were between the original woofers and the newer more rugged options?  I’ve never heard the I or II, but am interested to understand what they’ve changed as they’ve evolved the model. 

I don't think a KLF-20 vs a Cornwall is a fair comparison. A Cornwall vs a KLF-30 would be a more fair comparison.

The KLF-20 can be a nice speaker but compared to a Cornwall it's simply a smaller speaker with a smaller sound. Not in the same league as far as overall presentation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jjptkd said:

If you're comparing the low end response of the newer forte's (III & IV) to the older versions it wasn't the passive that changed the tuning it was the new woofer. Klipsch had a lot of problems with the original forte woofer (k-23) they would burn up and they'd get a lot of returns, they tried to fix that in the forte II with a vented voice-coil (k-25) but still had issues. The new woofer is more rugged but not as well suited for the low frequencies. 

You may be right. However, I had my Forte 1's for 30 years, and had no issue with the stock woofers. But please explain, if possible, why then did Klipsch switch out the passives from 12's to 15's? Are you suggesting that switching out the passives had no negative effect regarding getting down to 32hz? Could it be that they did it (raising the bottom hz) on purpose in order to push us towards K Horns, since that was/is the only other Heritage model that gets that low? 

• Thanks 1