Fair price on 1987 K Horns

MarinO

48 minutes ago, MarinO said:

Would this be a good upgrade ?

9405AB9C-A1D8-4793-BA28-A3AB29733D86.jpeg

not an upgrade to me. when i upgrade speakers its because of the condition of the cabinets or a certain type of veneer

what condition are both sets of speakers

i would take the 78's everyday of the week, depending on condition of both sets

don't like the crossovers or the wiring on the 87 set, i believe half of the crossover is inside the bass bin which means breaking the seal on the access door. my 78 set has AA crossovers in them and laser logos, a huge plus

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Budman said:

not an upgrade to me. when i upgrade speakers its because of the condition of the cabinets or a certain type of veneer

what condition are both sets of speakers

i would take the 78's everyday of the week, depending on condition of both sets

don't like the crossovers or the wiring on the 87 set, i believe half of the crossover is inside the bass bin which means breaking the seal on the access door. my 78 set has AA crossovers in them and laser logos, a huge plus

Well the 87 look a touch better in the cabinet department. I changed the caps on the 78 that is I do have the AA crossovers. 
I guess I was always under the impression that the AK 2 were a large upgrade over the AA 

maybe I was mistaken?

TY 

5 minutes ago, geoff. said:

$5500 will buy you every upgrade possible for your existing KHorns and leave you with enough change left over to buy a pair of used Heresys.

But it will sound different, arguably better...

What flavour are you looking for?

I guess that is what I want to know without paying 5,800 to find out. 
good point on the upgrade and price difference 

TY 

I think another pair of older KHorns would be more of a lateral move, at best. And that price is on the high side of reality. Even in this over-priced world.

Never owned KHorns, never owned a house with a room big enough to appreciate them so I’ve been told. I do have two pairs of LaScalas (LSI Splits) and a pair of Peavey FH-1 bass bins that I play around with.

I am a big fan of a better tweeter than than the K-77 for starters. The Crites CT-120 and Dave A’s SMAHL with a DE-120 driver are affordable and reversible options that slot right into the existing tophat. I own both.

A 2” throat mid driver on an appropriate mid horn is an ear opening experience, but now you are into some serious coin and some woodworking, unless you buy the Volti package. The Elliptrac 400 gets huge praise. Lots of driver options. I have a couple of 2” drivers and horns I play around with. There is a PRV D2200Ph driver and a ZXPC 18 x 10 horn that is a really economical experiment which sounds incredible for the money and would work with your existing crossovers with the addition of a cheap inductor you could mount on a separate board.

The woofers can be swapped out relatively inexpensively with the Crites CW1526 and if you don’t like them, I would be one of several people that would buy them off you in the Garage Sale section of this forum in a heartbeat. Always looking for another pair of these...

Crossovers are a personal choice. The AA you have are highly regarded by many on here. If you are going to stray from tried and tested designs you may want one with adjustable attenuation for the mids and tweeters. The ALK universal or a clone comes to mind.

You could probably completely, and reversibly, transform your existing speakers for half of the asking price of those KHorns. 

• Thanks 1

At a price of $5,500, you are in the range of buying a used (underground-) Jubilee. Although the Klipschorn is a good sounding speaker, the Jubilee is better. --- Hands down better! Note: I have personally enjoyed and lived with both.

They are no longer manufactured and they are somewhat hard to find on the used market. So it would take some diligence. The OP said these were for a living room, so below is an example of what Kudret did to make his Jubilees more living room friendly. There are other variations also, although his implementation is probably within the capabilities of many DIYers.

This is meant as food for thought ....

image.png.3c3dec6e1d740b0aacfa63329f947cb9.png

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MarinO  ,  ,used  Lascala II are selling for 4500$ -5k$ B stock  , the finish , veneer  of 87 khorns is sublime  -

5000$.. cash is a good deal - , 

on a side note , here are ,Klipsch AK-5  B stock modified  @disckgolfer123  Houston Texas--6500$ 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649840584-klipschorns-amp-single-belle-with-upgrades/#show_mapping

• Thanks 1

don't do it Marin     i've owned 8 sets of k-horns. take advice from someone that actually owns k-horns. some of these posters above have never owned a pair.

you already have a set of one of the best years made ( 78 ) with the best crossovers ( AA )

i've seen pictures of the 87 k-horns and they are sweet looking. are you wanting to have and keep 2 sets ?

• Like 1

As previously mentioned you could do a lot with your existing pair for a fraction of that money, including new veneer and maybe even new a lambswool grill. A coin toss to be sure but with my frugality I know which way I would lean.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Budman said:

don't do it Marin     i've owned 8 sets of k-horns. take advice from someone that actually owns k-horns. some of these posters above have never owned a pair.

you already have a set of one of the best years made ( 78 ) with the best crossovers ( AA )

i've seen pictures of the 87 k-horns and they are sweet looking. are you wanting to have and keep 2 sets ?

Thank you for the advice 

I am not keeping both. 

16 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

At a price of $5,500, you are in the range of buying a used (underground-) Jubilee. Although the Klipschorn is a good sounding speaker, the Jubilee is better. --- Hands down better! Note: I have personally enjoyed and lived with both.

They are no longer manufactured and they are somewhat hard to find on the used market. So it would take some diligence. The OP said these were for a living room, so below is an example of what Kudret did to make his Jubilees more living room friendly. There are other variations also, although his implementation is probably within the capabilities of many DIYers.

This is meant as food for thought ....

image.png.3c3dec6e1d740b0aacfa63329f947cb9.png

Good luck,

-Tom

Very nice and Thank you for the advice