The most overbuilt Cornscalas ever

jwgorman

Actually I’m not certain they are the most overbuilt Cornscala speakers but I had a professional cabinet maker (as is that’s what he does for a living) build them from 3/4 baltic birch and the are heavily reinforced and braced. I have used them for experimenting with drivers and crossovers for the last 3 years.

They are currently loaded with Kappalite 3015lf_4, hf146 and 18x10zxpc horns. There is a shelved  rectangular port, nearly identical to a Cornwall. There is a bit more internal volume and the F3 is 38HZ. They are passively crossed at 600hz (2nd order low pass and 3rd order high pass) but they are made so that you could load different horns, remove the risers, install nearly any 15” you wanted: they are highly configurable.

The motorboard is 1.5” thick (with an additional 3/4” ring where the T-nuts mount) and there is bracing along the sides that tie the front and back walls together and a laminate cross brace that ties the sides together. The bass cab is lined with denim and poly mat and the top horn cab has a platform to mount a brace if you wanted to go back to a Faital 1.4” horn. Even the crossovers (one in the bass cab and one in the top hat) 
The finish is just Watco natural so they could easily be veneered. 

I am posting links to pictures below. The pictures (if you follow the link) show building and various iterations of these speakers. They are glued/screwed/tattooed to withstand anything and are in excellent shape. 

I am selling them for $2500 and I live near Cedar Rapids IA. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195256178@N06/

4C40998A-F58A-4747-8E57-4BE16F11D077.jpeg

7405DD08-A551-4B23-9F20-A38D27EF4152.jpeg

• Like 8

Beautiful custom built BB speakers , top materials  and  exceptional workmanship , and to be Fair  these are built like nothing we have ever seen  ,  I am impressed , GLWyS 

• Like 3

If I lived in the US I would consider these. They look like they would see most of us out, if you know what I mean. Somebody is going to end up with something to be proud of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, if someone would prefer they come with Faital 15PR400-4 woofers, I can swap them in. 
And you are welcome to sit down and listen to them. 
I could rig them with Faital HF1440s for a little more money, but you would need an active crossover or some serious filter design chops to make those sound good.

23 hours ago, RFP said:

Absolutely fantastic!  I wish they were near Denver, my son would LOVE these!

Thanks. Yes, a lot of people would. My son is a USAFA graduate. I’ve made that drive many times. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gorgeous, but think they could look even better with the horn footer section removed and just replaced by some 1/2 inch rubber feet.  Like in pic below :)  

IMG_2455.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

I’m sure shipping to Deltona Fl would cost a ton
But for sh$$s and giggles how much do you think it would cost ?

Uship probably $800 to $1000

On 3/26/2022 at 11:39 AM, jwgorman said:

I am selling them for $2500 and I live near Cedar Rapids IA. 

Now is the time to get some HORN bass cabinets with the money you get!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, carlthess40 said:

I’m sure shipping to Deltona Fl would cost a ton
But for sh$$s and giggles how much do you think it would cost ?

I shipped Cornwalls to Florida before, 4 years ago. I shipped them Forward Air and it was like $200 ish.  I padded them, palletized them and ratchet strapped them and they made the trip just fine. I think these guys are almost 150lbs each. So I would guess $400 from Forward Air near me to Forward Air near you. I think it would be two pallets. You would need help getting them into a vehicle. I can deadlift 400+ pounds and lifting one of these guys is sporty at best due to their size. The local FA guys would forklift them into a truck for you but you would need help once you got home. 

9 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Now is the time to get some HORN bass cabinets with the money you get!

I need adult supervision. I do have a pair of hf1440s sitting around waiting for something. 

12 hours ago, jwgorman said:

I need adult supervision. I do have a pair of hf1440s sitting around waiting for something. 

Go with active crossover and build Quarter Pies with Kappa 15C woofers! Mate with a 400-600 Hz. Treble Horn. With a little PEQ and Time Delay "salt and pepper", you can get a nice 2-way, then add a sub if you want, or you can just PEQ it down to 30 Hz. The Acoustic Cutoff is about 50 Hz.

• Like 1

Go with active crossover and build Quarter Pies with Kappa 15C woofers! Mate with a 400-600 Hz. Treble Horn. With a little PEQ and Time Delay "salt and pepper", you can get a nice 2-way, then add a sub if you want, or you can just PEQ it down to 30 Hz. The Acoustic Cutoff is about 50 Hz.

ClaudeJ1:
Could you post the link for those Quarter Pies ? I remember reading some of the post but can’t remember where it’s at.
Thanks

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

ClaudeJ1:
Could you post the link for those Quarter Pies ? I remember reading some of the post but can’t remember where it’s at.
Thanks

I typed "Quarter Pie" and it popped right up. V 2.2 was created to go lower with less waste than the original. Adding 6" to the horn length did the trick. Same Plywood or MDF investment. Crossed at 500 Hz. with those JBL's would be a sweet 2-way active Xover speaker. I have 4 of those I don't need, if interested in Active Xovers with time delay, although in the "stand up" version, the voice coils are aligned so you can get by with passives, except you need shelving for the JBL driver, unless you add a DaveA super tweeter, which I would do.

• Like 1