What is ARC used for?

mopardave

I just went through this a couple of hours ago with a new TV. When you say ARC, am I correct in thinking it is actually eARC and that both your TV and receiver have the feature? If so, make sure the audio output on your TV is set to PCM and make sure you are using an HDMI cable that is rated as High Speed.

I just installed a Sony TV and had a hard time finding the proper menu item to set the audio output to PCM. Once I did that, though, everything worked great. The documentation supplied with the TV was absolutely worthless, and the information I found online gave direction using terminology that did not match anything in my TV menus. Such fun.

Once you get it set up it will essentially let you control the volume of your audio system using your TV remote. At least, that's all I've ever been able to do with it.

45 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I just went through this a couple of hours ago with a new TV. When you say ARC, am I correct in thinking it is actually eARC and that both your TV and receiver have the feature? If so, make sure the audio output on your TV is set to PCM and make sure you are using an HDMI cable that is rated as High Speed.

I just installed a Sony TV and had a hard time finding the proper menu item to set the audio output to PCM. Once I did that, though, everything worked great. The documentation supplied with the TV was absolutely worthless, and the information I found online gave direction using terminology that did not match anything in my TV menus. Such fun.

Once you get it set up it will essentially let you control the volume of your audio system using your TV remote. At least, that's all I've ever been able to do with it.

Ok, should I leave the eARC set in auto?   

24 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Ok, should I leave the eARC set in auto?   

Went thru HDMI trouble shooting and it says to use a better HDMI cable, i'm using a hi speed Monter HDMI now.   PCM on and still no sound.   May be easier to just buy a optical cable and be done with it.

41 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Went thru HDMI trouble shooting and it says to use a better HDMI cable, i'm using a hi speed Monter HDMI now.   PCM on and still no sound.   May be easier to just buy a optical cable and be done with it.

The optical cable won't give you the ability to control everything with your TV remote, but you're probably right, and may even get better sound.

And, yes, on mine, the eARC has to be set to auto.

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

You have to enable CEC on each device, plus other settings possibly.

What is CEC? I'm running my TV through my Bluesound Node. I don't have to do anything special for settings on the Node, but had to set my TV to PCM audio output. I'm pretty sure I'm losing some of the audio features available through the TV, but the improvement in hearing dialog is worth it to me.

55 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

What is CEC? I'm running my TV through my Bluesound Node. I don't have to do anything special for settings on the Node, but had to set my TV to PCM audio output. I'm pretty sure I'm losing some of the audio features available through the TV, but the improvement in hearing dialog is worth it to me.

It's a setting that allows different components to communicate with each other through HDMI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWelsh said:

I set most things to auto on the tv.  PCM is also set to auto.  I'm getting some garbled audio.   I will try again tomorrow.

7 hours ago, mopardave said:

I set most things to auto on the tv.  PCM is also set to auto.  I'm getting some garbled audio.   I will try again tomorrow.

Frustrating, isn't it? Sometimes you can find more complete information on the web than you can in the provided documentation, but even that can be challenging if they don't use the same terminology as the menus on the TV.  I hope you find it worthwhile once you get it worked out.

8 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

Frustrating, isn't it? Sometimes you can find more complete information on the web than you can in the provided documentation, but even that can be challenging if they don't use the same terminology as the menus on the TV.  I hope you find it worthwhile once you get it worked out.

Very much so.   It seems like there may be a combination of settings to get it right.

12 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Very much so.   It seems like there may be a combination of settings to get it right.

When I first bought the Node, I connected it to a Samsung. This time it is to a Sony. In both cases, it was the PCM setting that made it work. It is possible that there were other settings along the way that made a difference, but I don't really think so. Also, from what I've read, the cable is critical. I bought mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQN12ZN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

2 hours ago, CWelsh said:

When I first bought the Node, I connected it to a Samsung. This time it is to a Sony. In both cases, it was the PCM setting that made it work. It is possible that there were other settings along the way that made a difference, but I don't really think so. Also, from what I've read, the cable is critical. I bought mine on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQN12ZN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I found the issue with both Av receiver settings and tv settings.  In tv settings both pcm and anynet+HDMI need to be on and tv needs to be set for receiver.   Also make sure eARC is still on, then on receiver settings turn HDMI controls on.   I had mine on AVR and it wouldn’t work like that.   I now have tv audio thru speakers, but the sub signal seems weak, not as loud as when watching Blu-ray.

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

I found the issue with both Av receiver settings and tv settings.  In tv settings both pcm and anynet+HDMI need to be on and tv needs to be set for receiver.   Also make sure eARC is still on, then on receiver settings turn HDMI controls on.   I had mine on AVR and it wouldn’t work like that.   I now have tv audio thru speakers, but the sub signal seems weak, not as loud as when watching Blu-ray.

I'm glad you've gotten it to work. I suspect every TV brand has a slightly different way of doing the set up. Congratulations!

49 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I'm glad you've gotten it to work. I suspect every TV brand has a slightly different way of doing the set up. Congratulations!

Yes and thanks.  Movies on Wi-Fi and variable on acoustics and could be hi or lo on sub bass gain.

• Like 1