LaScalas insdustrial for a local Disco venue?

noviygera

9 hours ago, noviygera said:

This is a bit off topic but maybe a third possibility for the mids / tops:

I am talking about some multicell horns, in case anyone has used one. I have some Dukane 5A320 multicell, 2x4 horns with the JBL 2485 drivers. These look very cool and seems to be made very well. I believe work from 300hz to 5Khz. Can these be used in a 23'x35' room or do these need more "space to breathe"? 

I have not set these up because my room is even smaller, really no way of testing it yet, properly. Any thoughts on these beasts? 

I have the JBL 2485 on a Bruce Edgar Tractrix horn. It's a powerful performer with DaveA LMAHL tweeters. They are flat from 300-4000 Hz.. I'll be cutting them loose to use my 402's sooner than later in the new studio.

16 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Of course. Who would disagree with this comment?

I was just sharing my real world experiences from the Vinyl Days. For modern recordings and Digital Source Playback, if he already has Double LaScala bins, they still won't go as low as a good sub to "shake their moneymaker" even if the crowd is sitting! LOL.

The OP did mention that he has 2 large subwoofers to augment the LaScalas.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:06 AM, RandyH said:

1 pair of LSI  in a disco club  25x35   dancing floor  .forget it ......the crowd's  stomping bodies/feet on the floor will drown the speakers  ,this is not a movie theatre with silent folks , this is a  club .

I used my beater LS for a Filipino Christmas party a couple of years ago. the room was 49x37 with 20 ft ceilings. The dance floor wasn't a very large part of that as we also had a sit down dinner.

Pretty stock with k-400 horns, etc. I was very surprised at the amount of bass they put out. Folks had NO trouble listening/hearing the music and would get up and shake it whenever I started a series of tunes. A pair of subs would have been nice to have...

All the music was played back from a PC, which was running MIXXX, a dj mixer program (free), for windows or linux.

https://mixxx.org/

• Like 4

The room was big enough, and it sounded great, even at low volumes. The longer I had the MWMs, the smaller they got.

Still deciding what to build. It's between a pair of JWC's minipuch cabinets or a Peavey FH-1 clone (easier than an LS). I'll go active when I do.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 7:32 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Using two la scala bass bin does extend the low end because the mouths couple. And if you want to extend the horn loaded low end……kpt-1802. 

Exactly right... heard a setup like this at a live concert two weeks ago at the Paul W. Klipsch auditorium in Hope AR. Outstanding performance with two La Scalas and one kpt-1802, there was absolutely nothing missing, hearing is believing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Marvel said:

The room was big enough, and it sounded great, even at low volumes. The longer I had the MWMs, the smaller they got.

Still deciding what to build. It's between a pair of JWC's minipuch cabinets or a Peavey FH-1 clone (easier than an LS). I'll go active when I do.

Black La Scalas do that, too.  Mine seemed huge at first, but over time they became part of the room, and became less and less intrusive.  I remember this effect being debated on here quite a few years back.  However, I was never really happy with the black-painted plywood “I built them myself in the garage” look, though, which was part of the reason why I jumped on it when a super deal on a pair of La Scala IIs appeared not far away.

The La Scala IIs, with their medium-toned walnut lacquer, made for a much-upgraded look.  Not only did they sound better, they improved the looks of the living room, something that the OG La Scalas did not do.  However, the original Scalas are now sitting happily behind the sofa, from where they help the La Scala IIs create a sound field, while the LS IIs by themselves create a sound stage.  It’s all good, and the press of a button changes things at a whim.  This system really delivers for me, and I was surprised to find that adding the two subs improved the sound all the way into the midrange.  There’s no longer anything missing from the sound, nothing that distracts me from the feeling of the music, wondering if this or that should be changed or upgraded.  It’s all there.

Of course, the later La Scalas, with their Black Ash finish, look much better than my old 1974 speakers.  They must look just fine in nearly any room.

Marvel, is the LS that much harder to build than the Peavey?  With the LS, you have the benefit of it being a known quantity, meaning that when you go active, the precise settings are readily available.  You just punch them into whichever processor you’re using, Electro-Voice, Xilica, or Yamaha.  Those are the brands that spring to mind.  There may be others.  It’s really worth doing.  Some owners continue to tweak things beyond the basic settings, but that’s strictly optional.  You can punch in the latest settings, and then just listen.  You’re set.

Of course, if you have the floor space, you’d have the option of building the Super La Scalas with the extended bass horns, so they can go much deeper.  So many choices.

7 hours ago, Islander said:

is the LS that much harder to build than the Peavey?  With the LS, you have the benefit of it being a known quantity, meaning that when you go active, the precise settings are readily available.

The LSII cabinets are beautiful and more acceptable, for sure.

From everything I have read, acoustically the FH-1 bass cab is pretty equal to the LS. The FH-1 does not have the section with the parallel walls, which is an advantage. I'm not sure if that eliminates the peak the LS has (148Hz?.. can't remember). So the doghouse isn't a doghouse shape for the FH-1 but a triangle shape.

I have the amps to use, and a DBX Venue 360 (analog or digital inputs, 6 output channels):

dbxDriveRack_VENU360.jpg

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

The LSII cabinets are beautiful and more acceptable, for sure.

From everything I have read, acoustically the FH-1 bass cab is pretty equal to the LS. The FH-1 does not have the section with the parallel walls, which is an advantage. I'm not sure if that eliminates the peak the LS has (148Hz?.. can't remember). So the doghouse isn't a doghouse shape for the FH-1 but a triangle shape.

I have the amps to use, and a DBX Venue 360 (analog or digital inputs, 6 output channels):

dbxDriveRack_VENU360.jpg

Certainly, the LS2 cabs are very good-looking, and now that I think about it, their 2-box design might make their construction a bit simpler than building original La Scalas, especially the bass bins.  As well, the bass horn on the LS2 is an inch or two longer than the one on the “OG” La Scala, thus the slightly deeper cabinet size.  The vee of the doghouse terminates a bit back from the edge of the cabinet, not almost right at the front of the box.  That may be part of why the LS2 bass is noticeably stronger than that of the earlier design, to the point where it gives the impression of going deeper, so that’s a bonus.  The extra rigidity of the 1” MDF sidewalls must help, of course, but the improvement is also easy to hear at low volume levels, where sidewall flex could not be an issue.  If you’re working with plywood and wanted to have equivalent sidewall stiffness to the 1” MDF, would it be as simple as going with 1-1/4” ply?

The doghouse on the LS2 has a slightly different shape than the one in the earlier design, in that the step at the front of the parallel section is eliminated.  The line of the side of the doghouse is smooth all the way from the back to the front.

As for the notorious peak at 148 Hz, if you’re using your DBX unit, it’s a simple thing to knock down it down.  Roy’s settings for the JubScala include a 7dB dip to eliminate it, with the exact width (“Q”) to do it just right.

Is there any issue with the LS2 being a recent model, or is it considered by Klipsch to be a discontinued design, so that replicas can be built without causing any offense to Klipsch?

My comments are just that, not suggestions that I know the only way your project should be done.  I’m sure you’ll do all the research you need before you start making sawdust.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, RandyH said:

k-402  / k-1133

20160606_181151.thumb.jpg.bd93447307c8458db1c9c3aee3547d71.jpg

@Islander

This was a setup I had in my Garage for awhile with 904LF on their sides and was a project I had ideas to really pretty them up but headed in another direction before that happened but let me tell you they… Sounded Awesome and Vocals especiallywere excellently reproduced.!!!  🙂

miketn

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

KP480 is what we use with La Scalas for a club room. It's a front loaded sub with radiator that was designed to go under the La Scala. It more than does the job. Heaps floating around on second hand market in the states, I think

• Thanks 1