OLD CAPACITORS GONE

Dave A

9 hours ago, geoff. said:

Nice, you even left the leads long...

Where possible. I had tried giving away a pile of input cups too a while back and no takers. Lucky me since I needed a fuse holder for a set of KPT-456's last week. No fear on the capacitors though as they have been replaced with new.

• Like 1

any chance you can list the values?  & just curious, but were these "bad" when removed?  or have they been tested to verify values are still within spec?  

with all the talk recently saying these mylar film caps dont go bad or dont need to be replaced id be curious how they measure for capacitance & ESR before trying to reuse them in speakers... especially the lytics.

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

any chance you can list the values?  & just curious, but were these "bad" when removed?  or have they been tested to verify values are still within spec?  

with all the talk recently saying these mylar film caps dont go bad or dont need to be replaced id be curious how they measure for capacitance & ESR before trying to reuse them in speakers... especially the lytics.

Values marked on the sides of enough of them to get the general idea and no I am not going to fiddle with a cap by cap value list. In general even if the caps measure OK for reuse I put new in anyway figuring that it buys the new owner an additional 20+ years of good cap life. The newest speakers I tend to work on start around 2000 and go back from there. I did measure for capacitance and ESR until I determined that especially in ESR I did not like the values I read from these  and so I just quit. I replace them all now.

These caps were mentioned strictly for that small group of people who expressed interest in them in other cap threads.

• Like 1

• Dave A changed the title to OLD CAPACITORS GONE
35 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

🤣  No good deed goes unpunished. 

I bought a whole pickup truck of paint from Sherwin Williams one time. Expensive stuff but not the right color for various reasons. I got it mainly because there was some paint I wanted and others that said they wanted some too at that price. The grief I caught with that because it was "not the right color" or "only two gallons of it" and on and on. What the heck if it is the same type of paint go and get them to tint it or mix it all together and live with it. They were getting, and this was 15 years ago prices, up to $50 a gallon paint for $5 a gallon. I never did that again and was left wondering if they were secretly mad because I did not offer to deliver the paint and do the painting for them too.