Turntable Repair Questions/Suggetions (Akai AP-004)

Sam S.

Hi --- before looking for a tech, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has suggestions for me to try here. Have an Akai AP-004 that spins and functions fine with one exception -- The unit has a typical tonearm up and down in the back, but doesn't have a start button. Rather, in the right front of the unit, there is a button that can be moved back for "Repeat", and if it is moved forward, it is the "Start/Cut" button. So, in an ideal world, hitting start/cut either starts the process of the tonearm playing, or stops it whilst playing.

The issue is that when playing, and then hitting the start/cut button to stop, the tonearm just re-starts over and over. No way to end the cycle without unplugging. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam S. said:

Hi --- before looking for a tech, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has suggestions for me to try here. Have an Akai AP-004 that spins and functions fine with one exception -- The unit has a typical tonearm up and down in the back, but doesn't have a start button. Rather, in the right front of the unit, there is a button that can be moved back for "Repeat", and if it is moved forward, it is the "Start/Cut" button. So, in an ideal world, hitting start/cut either starts the process of the tonearm playing, or stops it whilst playing.

The issue is that when playing, and then hitting the start/cut button to stop, the tonearm just re-starts over and over. No way to end the cycle without unplugging. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link for the service manual from the Akai 004 . You may study this carefully and maybe you´ll find an answer to solve your technical problem.

https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/pdf/telecharge.php?pdf=Akai-AP-004-004D-004X-Service-Manual.pdf

2 hours ago, Sam S. said:

2 possibilities , the  Akai Auto return either needs  a repair or an adjustment ,   on some Akai TTs  there is a set screw adjustment  at the base of the tonearm pivot ,  usually called Screw A 

Thanks, Randy. I'll look for screw A. Billybob --- my daughter has been using this for over a year. Sat before that, but I had it looked over before she started using it. It looks to me like at least some of the parts are lubed, so I image that occurred when it was looked over. Of course, she hadn't complained about anything until recently.

• Like 1

Not suggesting that you open up the chassis unless manual gives you a plan.

Maybe daughter never had the problem.

When I have been in vintage before, found some looseness obvious in places, even electrical contacts not closing fully. Took a good look earlier at TT and see it still popular.

Let us know...

• Like 1