Dual Passive subs-Bridge or stereo

The Dude

I've always wondered if there was a better wary to wire my subs.  I've currently got 2 DIY Danley TH-SPUS (the ones with 2-8" drivers), that are rated at 400 watts continuous at 8 ohms.  I've got the Crown XLS-2502 which is rated at 440 w at 8 ohms dual,  but also 2400w 4 ohm bridged, and 1550 w 8 ohm bridged.  Currently I have the sub out of my AVR to the MINI DSP, split and eq'ed with the DSP, then each channel on the Crown handling one of each sub.  Would it make sense to bridge the amp, to wire the 2-8 ohms subs in parallel to provide a 4 ohm load allowing me to provide 2400 w to the subs?  Does it work like this?  

2nd part to the question, I know running the MINI DSP I should only be sending .775Vrms, but do have the sensitivity on the Crown switched to .775.  If my Ashley Protea is capable of the full 1.4Vrms, would there be any benefit to switching? 

image.png.1c18dd3c0665b538801dd865acdeca36.png

image.png.c16599abe61f7d2fbe49073c5e89121f.png

image.png.ac1d1d4b69bdfd0d7c5f8ac123d2303a.png

53 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not looking for to plow myself out of the room, therefor I am not looking to make the subs perform in anyway they are not capable of.  Just trying to provide them with the best power supply that is optimal. 

I certainly hope not nor any of my answer geared toward plowing anyone out of your room.

• Like 2

Whats up Dude? I have the same amp powering two sub and I use it in stereo and feed one channel to each sub. My subs aren't as efficient as yours but will crank out the low end nicely with this amp (Eminence LAB 15's in home built ported enclosures) BUT I needed to boost the signal to that amp to get it up to par with the other Crown amps in the system. I tried both input sensitivities with no luck. I don't use a pre amp, so added a Art Cleanbox from PE and that did the trick. Now everything is on a level playing field.

One question is why the Mini DSP and not just the DSP built into the amp. I use the bandpass setting at 25 -110 hz and the subs work well with two pair of LSi.

Not sure if any of this helps but is my experience with that amp. Good luck.

Whats up Dude? I have the same amp powering two sub and I use it in stereo and feed one channel to each sub. My subs aren't as efficient as yours but will crank out the low end nicely with this amp (Eminence LAB 15's in home built ported enclosures) BUT I needed to boost the signal to that amp to get it up to par with the other Crown amps in the system. I tried both input sensitivities with no luck. I don't use a pre amp, so added a Art Cleanbox from PE and that did the trick. Now everything is on a level playing field.
One question is why the Mini DSP and not just the DSP built into the amp. I use the bandpass setting at 25 -110 hz and the subs work well with two pair of LSi.
Not sure if any of this helps but is my experience with that amp. Good luck.
Sir Mookie,

I am using the Minidsp for more eq capabilities as I didn't feel that the DSP provided by the Crown provided the fine tuning as the Minidsp does...at least that's why I think I switched over, but it's been so long I can't remember.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you trying to accomplish something specific if it's not to raise the spl?
Not like trying to get 120 db out of 110 db kind of spl, but more of a consistent 110 db.

I'm thinking this more about head room then anything.

I do understand where Jason is coming from in regards to placement etc.. just want to make sure I am not leaving anything off the table.

Now that I think of it, this is probably a perfect example of what the Home Theater Guru is often talking about.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Remember DAMPING FACTOR is halved when bridging any amplifier, so even with 2X the power, you have 1/2 the control over the woofer.

Some old tube amps (Scott?) had Damping Controls that actually inserted series resistance to allow woofers to boom away undamped!

• Like 2