SS with LaScala IIs

Shakeydeal

Captianbeefheart, I'm hearing news that Schiit Audio is purposely making changes to some of their gear just so they can measure better because they don't want to lose the market to buyers who only rely on measurements. What's your opinion on this kind of approach? Can adding more internal filtration etc sometimes compromise sound? Not sure if they're doing this with Shakey's Aegir yet.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

Captianbeefheart, I'm hearing news that Schiit Audio is purposely making changes to some of their gear just so they can measure better because they don't want to lose the market to buyers who only rely on measurements. What's your opinion on this kind of approach? Can adding more internal filtration etc sometimes compromise sound? Not sure if they're doing this with Shakey's Aegir yet.

Thanks

Can you post a link that supports this?

Lemme see if I can find the video. I don't think Schiit would ever announce something like this, but I'm not into all these obsessions people have with distortion with measurements because the people who measure don't explain what's really audible and what's not, plus nobody really knows how they measured it. Heck, look at tube amps, they hardly ever can measure well but listen to how amazing they can sound. It amazes me that those nuts on ASR think they can judge how something will sound based solely on measurements. That's absurd.  

7 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Lemme see if I can find the video. I don't think Schiit would ever announce something like this, but I'm not into all these obsessions people have with distortion with measurements because the people who measure don't explain what's really audible and what's not, plus nobody really knows how they measured it. Heck, look at tube amps, they hardly ever can measure well but listen to how amazing they can sound. It amazes me that those nuts on ASR think they can judge how something will sound based solely on measurements. That's absurd.  

Sounds like the 1970s and 80s.   0.0001 THD  and peak power at 1000hz is all that mattered in the spec sheets.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:32 AM, TubesGlo said:

Before using a tube amp full time my main system was SS with tube preamp. My first amp almost 40 years ago was a Hafler 500 I built from a kit....I still have it along with a 220. Very simple designs with clean, mosfet sound. I've owned a lot of different amps over the years but will never let go of these. I think the right SS amp in your system can offer a great experience with just a different flavor vs tubes. If not a good match with your gear, you'll know it right away and will be hard to get used to.

Agree. I found with my Klipschorns the combo of my new tube preamplifier and great SS amplification that works wonders for me. Best sound with the same speakers I’ve been using exclusively in main system for almost 50 years now. BTW ran La Scalas before that.