My Marantz

jason str

40 minutes ago, jason str said:

What some will do for a buck. Thanks, gonna be a rough night.

Stereo Rehab answered you  on the thread ,shown below   so that's proof  of what kind of work was done on the unit   +  you have the receipts when  you brought in the unit  .  Stereo Rehab cant sell the unit -

1st  file a police report , once that' done , reach out to Ebay with a copy of the Police report , receipts etc - Good luck

Stereo Rehab

On 10/2/2021 at 8:16 PM, jason str said:

Found this thread searching on Google.

Have not been around much, kinda bummed out. Stereo rehab (Caspar) has really done me in a bad way. Long story short had my first unit repaired and it went Ok for the most part and looking for a better unit he recommended a few and one I found and sent right to him. Been a year and a half now in and out with the same buzzing light ballast noise. Dropped it off in early January still within his one year warranty period but enough is enough has not answered one of my emails not does he answer the phone.

Can't see how this is good business.

123.jpg

Expand  

Evening fellas! This is Kaspar, or Stereo Rehab whichever you prefer. Lets go over a few things and make sure there is no confusion. A customer brought this post to my attention, and while I have zero interst in forums, or anything of the sort, this warrants addressing. First, Mr. Stromberg (Jason). When a person sends different emails, and each time they change the subject line, it creates a completely separate physical mail from the same address. The mail server sees this as the all too familiar spam, and WE DON'T SEE IT. After reading this and seeing that you mailed us a few times, I went through what could be seen in the remaining spam folder, and there were 2 messages from you. First, my apologies that we didn't see the mails. Tony, and I LAWYAS tell people to please NOT change the title/subject line no matter what the topic is. I have had some customers that change this every time, and we see none of them as the mail service dumps them in spam. We have absolutely no control of this. As for the phone, it is for info only, as noted on the website, the signature line of the company email, and on the outgoing greeting on the voicemail itself. Being on the phone all the time would inhibit the work, and it has always been this way, for years and years.

On to the Marantz 18, which of course is present, safe and sound at the store. YOUR issue is that you wanted to use this unit as a preamp with external amplifiers. The unit as a stand alone receiver and as designed, is and continues to operate as designed without error, without issue, without any noise and without fault. It has remained that way since the very beginning after we serviced it for you. A pre-out/main-in was added to accommodate your application and request, though I was very clear that the unit was not designed for this. You choose the jacks to be assigned (extra aux and main-in, and tape record out were re-assigned as pre-out). This of course was all documented, of which you (and we) have a copy of. The first time you stopped back with it, I gladly padded the output of the flat-amp (pre-amp stage proper), and that dropped the hum you are referring to. We auditioned it in the listening area as you described the listening conditions in your home, and were speaking of a house you were moving into. It was taken home by you, and then yes, you stopped back in in January saying you hear a buzzing. Not as significant as before, but still there a little bit. I once again explained that we are asking the chassis to do something it is NOT designed to do. This is normally a separation between the flat-amp and the power amp proper. The gain structure of THIS unit is NOT the same as a unit that would normally have this option. Anyone who knows me and knows the way I operate... KNOWS I am dead against any and ALL mods, no matter what. It even says this right on the website. We gave this a go for you because frankly, I like you. It is not appropriate for YOUR application however. Operating as a factory designed unit, the chassis is dead on. Period. We verified this together. Its only when an external amplifier is connected that a ground loop is set up, and you hear the faint buzzzz. The return, or ground/earthing of the pre-amp is quasi-floating, which is not compatible with your needs. To speak ill of us for going against what we normally would not do, well, I dont know. If there were an issue with the unit *as designed*, we would and always do stand behind our work, every time, no exceptions. Ever. Even out of warranty we do. We verified the unit, in your presence, in the listening room, with you running the show, and it was dead silent when used as a receiver with no external amplification. I cant tell you what to do of course, and I wouldn't. Again though, I think ALL FACTS should be considered before assuming we are trying to screw you. We do not, and will not operate that way.

Lastly... the gentleman with the Scott unit we declined accepting... we will not take part in units that are altered, modified, or molested, which that unit was. I am aware there are plenty of people out there that would try to capitalize on someone whom may not know what is proper and what is not. I however, will not BS someone. I will always make sure they know whats going on. I may have upset you, and if so I apologise. I would rather have someone dislike ME, as opposed to feeling as if I should have told them what was going on, and hid the truth from them instead. That will not change. Those that sell people on silly promises are there to take the money... though in almost every case are NOT there when their "repairs" fail, and the customer now is left with a unit that is not proper. Every single unit that comes in, every single time without exception is opened in the presence of its owner, and if anything deviates from factory design, it is shown, explained, and I always, without exception say that it will be un-done and retuned to correct factory stock design. When it leaves the store, this is the state it must be in. Im not going to invoice someone to undo previous "repairs" just to make a buck.

In closing, again my apologies if there was a loss of communication, especially to you Mr. Stromberg. There was of course no ill intent, and we certainly would not disregard someone just for the sake of doing so. What would be the point? We are not trying to deprive you of your unit, we have no motivation to do so. I always ask, and will continue to ask folks to NOT CHANGE the subject/title of the mail, no matter the topic, to prevent exactly this situation.

I know there will be people that will be upset with us for whatever reason, and thats part of doing business. The only thing we can do is listen to their concerns, and if within our power, make corrections to prevent them from happening again. You all take care, and enjoy your equipment.

• Thanks 1

Jason ,  question.... did you file a Police report ?   that should be the 1st step .if you 're sure that this is Your unit  Ser#  18-5189

You should report the item on Ebay ,  go to the listing , right above the item no , you can see .........report item ,  call ebay  1-866-540-3229

• Thanks 1

Great ,  if the open case by the AG  was not decided in the favor of Stereo Rehab , your best bet remains a Police report  against this Ebay seller ,   which can be substantiated by the AG  case number .

The Police can track the current Ebay  seller and seize the unit for the Rightful owner which is You , to get restitution .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RandyH said:

I added the entire Stereo Rehab @Stereo Rehab post ,  they have  no business selling your receiver .

For Christ's sake. Are you a lawyer too? Know a little bit about everything? Everywhere? What's the law in Illinois for a repairman who had done work on an item that has been left more than XX days?

Your response should have been - I don't know the law in Illinois, you should contact the BBB, IL Consumer Affairs, or even, I would contact a lawyer on what your rights are.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandyH said:

Great ,  if the open case by the AG  was not decided in the favor of Stereo Rehab , your best bet remains a Police report  against this Ebay seller ,   which can be substantiated by the AG  case number .

The Police can track the current Ebay  seller and seize the unit for the Rightful owner which is You , to get restitution .

Bullshit.

I don't understand where you come up with this stuff. You want him to call Chicago PD, tell them he dropped of his amp for repairs, they are in a dispute over it, and he is trying to sell it on ebay, and I want you to go seize the amp? What world do you live in? You know what they are going to say? Sounds like a civil matter to us. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jason str said:

Tried calling earlier and yes that's mine.

I have a open case with Illinois Attorney General asking for a return of my unit after communication with Kaspar ended.

Then contact the AG, and keep this personal business dispute off of this forum like I told you back in October. 

• Thanks 1