KLF-20 sibilance and sharpness - would a tweeter diaphragm upgrade maybe help?

adam2434

On 4/13/2022 at 5:03 PM, adam2434 said:

Well, it's been a week and I have not heard anything from Klipsch CS on the availability and price for a K-79-K tweeter Ti diaphragm. 

Called the 800 number and the voice directs you to create an on-line ticket (which I did a week ago), then the call terminates with no option to talk to anyone.

That is pretty sad.

Does Klipsch basically not have customer support/service any longer?

Klipsch CS  are very busy , CS can take some time to answer emails , no reason to complain or worry , that's just how busy they are ..

price is around 35$  , the klipsch quality is unmatched by aftermarkets  ,

• Like 1

klipsch CS may be "busy" but the ridiculous times frames for a reply or resolution is because they dont have/hire enough CS employees to handle the load... & its been like that for 2 years now.  almost every other company out there doesnt have this problem whether they are bigger or smaller.  the lockdowns are over & there is really no reason for them not being able to handle the amount of CS inquiries they have.  i doubt they are so overwhelmed with people trying to buy some parts that a small group of people with basic training & abilities cant handle the volume.  i worked in customer service for a very large corporation for 10+ years & handled 75-100+ calls a day with much more research & in depth technical troubleshooting required to provide resolution than what it takes to look up a couple part numbers for tweeters & woofers.  people dealing with this for so long have every right to complain... but im sure a few parts sales lost are not a priority for them, based on my experience thats very obvious. 

as for the titanium tweeter diaphragms, is there some type of documentation or proof that the "quality is not matched by aftermarkets"?  & for the serial # thing, i recall reading that they require a serial number of a current model that uses a TI diaphragm in order for them to sell it?  in other words, a chorus or forte 2 serial # wont qualify for a titanium tweeter diaphragm from a forte 4? can anyone confirm if thats true or not?    

• Like 1

I'll direct callers to previous post in this thread. Klipsch is better than ever. Maybe try a different phone?? lol.....Pre insanity I actually had a pretty good experience with getting parts....

I was finally able to order 2 Ti tweeter diaphragms from Klipsch today (127123 - K-792/103-TI DIAPH. KIT ) for $69 total shipped.  The customer service rep did not ask for serial numbers.

Also ordered some ferrofluid from Parts Express.

Will report back after I get them into the KLF-20 tweeters.

• Like 1

Installed the new Klipsch Ti tweeter diaphragms today after cleaning out the old ferrofluid and adding new. 

BTW, the old ferrofluid was still very much a liquid and absorbed into the paper cleaning strips that came with the ferrofluid.

Just out of curiosity, I did a crude frequency vs. SPL test on the original poly vs. new Klipsch Ti on one of the tweeters.  All the parameters were consistent for both tests (same tweeter and meter position, same test tones, same source and amp volume levels).  See the attached images for the test set up and a plot of the results.

The differences between the 2 diaphragms surprised me.  I mean my testing was crude, but it was consistent.  🙂

I was kind of hoping that the Ti would be flatter than the original poly, but the poly is actually more linear in this test.

Any thoughts on how to interpret my test results?  

Have not had a chance to listen to the new Ti diaphragms yet - will do that later today and tomorrow.

20220423_130818 (2).jpg

dia spl vs freq.JPG

• Like 2

Poly is better then Ti in 1" diaphragms in my experience and by my personal preference. There is only one advantage to Ti 1" diaphragm's in my opinion and it only applies to prolonged professional very high output scenarios. If poly gets to hot it looses shape and is no good whereas Ti does not suffer from that. I have never seen or heard of a poly diaphragm doing that in my personal experience (hundreds of drivers) and this is just what Bennett Prescott with B&C has told me can happen in professional venues.

I have not heard every 1" driver out there so this is not a 100% blanket statement. There may be some Ti that are better but I have not heard them.