Identify Speakers

Orbit

These are for sale at $200 close to home.  Cabinets look nice.  From sellers other items they come from someone's 1960s home and look to be around 32" tall with a 12" speaker.  Any idea on their origin?

Thank you

Screenshot_20220406-131714.png

• Like 3

Wow, I'm stumped.  I want to say homemade but I'm not thinking so.  I think I recall someone making a speaker similar to that only because of the wider oak top.  I can't remember who though.  My other thought is why are you spending $200 on a speaker you know nothing about?  Sit on that gold card HARD and wait on a nice pair of Heresy's to pop up.  Then jump and you'll be a happy boy!  After all, you're in the Klipsch Joint yanno!  lol

Randy could be onto something now that I think about it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes some kits came empty of speakers. Others complete. Others just an assembly kit.

Why to look for labels is a kit name as both EV and Klipsch offered kits at one time as well as AcoustiCraft came with kit labels. Not a Klipsch, but could be other. EV used decent wood in their kits, Aristocrat an example.

Yes unless curiosity, there will be others. Horn interest me more than woofer.

Done...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Wow, I'm stumped.  I want to say homemade but I'm not thinking so.  I think I recall someone making a speaker similar to that only because of the wider oak top.  I can't remember who though.  My other thought is why are you spending $200 on a speaker you know nothing about?  Sit on that gold card HARD and wait on a nice pair of Heresy's to pop up.  Then jump and you'll be a happy boy!  After all, you're in the Klipsch Joint yanno!  lol

Randy could be onto something now that I think about it.  

A good bit of it is curiosity.  I do also enjoy they way they look.  Would fit in well with my 57' modern home.

My experience with speakers is limited to the La Scalas I picked up two months ago, a sellers home made 2-3/4 walled home made speakers and disposable junk such as 80s-90s boom boxes.  

These would no be for my main listening area.

Maybe my inexperience is showing here.  They could be complete junk and a far cry from the quality I get from the La Scala right?

Many thanks to everyone that has taken the time to search and weigh in.  Pretty cheap for end tables though right?

Screenshot_20220407-000121.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My 2 cents, pass on the Mystery Speakers simply because they are Mystery speakers.  If you're really curious about them offer fifty bucks which is your "I really don't want to buy these" price.  That way you're not out much if they turn out to sound bad.

And "no" they will not match your fine La Scala speakers in sound or looks.  Few speakers do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Orbit said:

a far cry from the quality I get from the La Scala right

, search for Klipsch Heresy 1 speakers  , , wait till you hear the sound of a Heresy , you'll be floored .

• Like 2

This is a Klipsch forum so naturally most are going to say no, look for Klipsch. IMHO they look like a steal to me if they sound like they look. Obviously if they are diy someone did an excellent job building them and sourcing parts. Like billybob I am very interested in the horn and driver used. For someone without speakers I would say take a listen and then decide. Not a lot of money lost considering the cost of everything these days. I bet they sound really good. Good as Heresy's probably not but probably good enough for most. We are talking $200 guys. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

This is a Klipsch forum so naturally most are going to say no, look for Klipsch. IMHO

they look like a steal to me if they sound like they look.

You're right about the sound.  I have a number of DIY kit speakers that sound great at less cost but the resale value would be the cost of the drivers, if I'm lucky.  Buy some $400 Heresy's and when you sell them years later they are still worth $400.

I would pass on these particular speakers even at the not-bank-breaking $200 price point because when you're trying to find speakers that sound halfway decent, the crossover is the secret sauce.  Even serious amateur builders have a hard time getting the XO just right.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RandyH said:

I would sell my Lascala before selling my Heresy Speakers , wait till you hear the sound of a Heresy , you'll be floored .

Let me rephrase that... I would sell my LaScala's with the K-400 horn before I sell my Heresy 1's. The Heresy's do sound wonderful for what they are and the Heresy HIP converted to "HiFi" is icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

I took a gamble and there is a mess of components and such in my jam room.  I believe I have a preamp, Power amp with power supply , crossover and a ???.  Also have two additional Jensen 15s and boxes of transformers and other parts.  

I was told it was running not long ago.  The man who built all this worked at the University of Michigan and was some sort of computer engineer.  He passed on at 88 years recently.

The power amp has 4 sets of banana connecters one for each HF and LF.  They are not marked.  There are 4 RCA jacks that are also not marked.  Luckily the black box that I believe is a crossover still has the HF and LF RCAs connected and they are different lengths.  

I hope I can get this man's system running.  

I was only expecting a set of speakers.  

IMG_20220407_203007365.jpg

IMG_20220407_203007365.jpg

• Like 3