Identify Speakers

Orbit

17 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Here are the horns.  Driver Reads JBL LE85.  16ohm.  It's dark blue and has a red wax like substance crusted on the screws.  Horns make a downward bend.

this JBL  driver is one of JBL's all time best drivers ,,,,,,, what Brand , model , size are the woofers

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Orbit said:

The 4 Jensen's are Flexair 15" 3015D03-H1

yeah , I could tell these were 15 inch woofers , versus 12"s , well , the speakers must sound fantastic  . it's top of the line HIFI gear from the 60's .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

Here are the horns.  Driver Reads JBL LE85.  16ohm.  It's dark blue and has a red wax like substance crusted on the screws.  Horns make a downward bend.

IMG_20220407_210219218.jpg

Nice score, Orbit! Looks like a lot of fun for a little pocket money.

The red wax on the screws is put on at the JBL factory which shows that the drivers have their original diaphragms (to replace the diaphragms you have to remove the wax). So don't remove the wax because if the drivers work, that's the pedigree. Those two drivers alone are worth more than you paid for the whole pile. Rock on!

-triceratops

• Like 5

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Glad you made out alright.

Brand and model of the pre and amp will be cool.

Congrats!

The pre, amp and power supply are made on a bread board with 60s parts.  As I understand the maker or the speakers made all of these components.  No labels or volume control on the amp or supply.  The labeling on the pre is a worn waterslide and still has the pencil marks for the hole alignment.  All the labels on the back pencil led too.  The bottoms are plexi on the amp and supply. 

Gut shot of the pre.

IMG_20220407_200543033.jpg

• Like 3

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=JBL+LE85&_sacat=0

Just some asking prices on Ebay for the drivers alone. The horns and woofers are bringing big money on Ebay as well. I just knew from the build quality of those speakers there was gold inside as well. The electronics are a dream for a diy to restore but not an easy task without schematics. Not worth a lot but they were just gravy and free. I bet the speakers sound great. Top quality components in their day. There is a lot of love in those speakers from the builder as well. Lucky guy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=JBL+LE85&_sacat=0

Just some asking prices on Ebay for the drivers alone. The horns and woofers are bringing big money on Ebay as well. I just knew from the build quality of those speakers there was gold inside as well. The electronics are a dream for a diy to restore but not an easy task without schematics. Not worth a lot but they were just gravy and free. I bet the speakers sound great. Top quality components in their day. There is a lot of love in those speakers from the builder as well. Lucky guy. 

I am surprised to see the prices.  I don't think I have the heart to take these apart.  I will have to take care of it for him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

Good thing you didn't listen to those who said they'd pass on them.

I always appreciate and seriously consider advice of all sorts.  At the end of the day you have to go with your own gut.

• Like 4