Identify Speakers

Orbit

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Guess the question will be how they sound. In the fullness of time, that is.

Just before bed I brought them up slowly on my Variac.  I only got a few minutes in.  it all lives!  I have some cleaning to do on the pots and connections.  I will report back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoy these types of threads. You just never know...

My initial thoughts were that they looked like an EV kit. My father built a nice pair back when we were kids.

He had them set up in the basement rec room home bar. Nice memories.

• Like 3

Still some gremlins to work out but I have pots cleaned and a decent grasp of the crossover.  

The horns sure are the shining star here.  Reproduction of voice is excellent.  

Amp is working well.  It has 4 channels and 4 RCA input.  One high and low on each channel.  

The crossover has one set of inputs and a high and low out for each channel.  

I think one of my current issues is with the A B stereo switch.  One side of the pre is louder than the other.  

I think I will have to send it to a tech...

• Like 3

On 4/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, henry4841 said:

$400 Heresy's? Good luck finding them for that price. There is a diy project called the econowave that many have built and praise the sound. Still say fantastic deal for $200. If Electrovoice kit makes it more desirable in my opinion. 

I purchased a pair of Heresys for $400 a couple months ago and another pair for $400 about a year ago.  Both in excellent condition.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orbit said:

Still some gremlins to work out but I have pots cleaned and a decent grasp of the crossover.  

The horns sure are the shining star here.  Reproduction of voice is excellent.  

Amp is working well.  It has 4 channels and 4 RCA input.  One high and low on each channel.  

The crossover has one set of inputs and a high and low out for each channel.  

I think one of my current issues is with the A B stereo switch.  One side of the pre is louder than the other.  

I think I will have to send it to a tech...

Depending on how old it is you may have germanium transistor rather than silicon. Original Germanium transistors are getting rather hard to find. It could be switched over to silicon but it would have to be properly biased. If you happen to have a signal generator you could check to see if you have the same amount of signal coming from the switch. A switch is not that hard to replace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Depending on how old it is you may have germanium transistor rather than silicon. Original Germanium transistors are getting rather hard to find. It could be switched over to silicon but it would have to be properly biased. If you happen to have a signal generator you could check to see if you have the same amount of signal coming from the switch. A switch is not that hard to replace. 

There are certainly some geranium.  In the left side of the unit there is what I believe to be a headphone amp with RCA geraniums.  The amp has the same on top of the unit.  

I have wired foot switches on guitar pedals and built pedal kits but those always had schematics.  

IMG_20220409_233116289.jpg

• Like 3

Not to be discouraging but I do not think the electronics would be worth the effort. Especially with the cost technicians charge these days and the improvements of SS components since those were built. Money better spent on a decent tube amplifier is what I would consider. 

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Not to be discouraging but I do not think the electronics would be worth the effort. Especially with the cost technicians charge these days and the improvements of SS components since those were built. Money better spent on a decent tube amplifier is what I would consider. 

I have a buddy in sub station design that will take a go at it.  But while the topic is up I do have $1300 set aside for tube gear right now.  That will go on the La Scalas.  Any recommendations?  

• Like 1

If I were not a diy'er, of which I am with many tube amplifier builds, I would look at some of the Chinese offerings. Many have great reviews on youtube and other sources. But then I am on a limited budget. Check Amazon searching for tube audio amplifiers. I personally prefer single ended but you may prefer a push pull one. Really depends on the type of music you listen to. 

• Like 1